OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL! Yes, INSULTS caused MANY duels, now out-lawed in Virginia...
When has questioning the information posted on an open forum considered an insult?
Incidentally, it is not I who is involved in the name calling and insults, but you are well aware of that.,
It is the one of whom I posted these questions that's engaged in this activity using it as a ploy to avoid answering.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The plantation of Anzoletta Saunders was 300 acres on Elk Creek. She had to sell the property in 1872 for debts owed. Seems like a lot of debt collecting in 1872 that is when James Beverly Ward sold his land for debts owed also.
So 10 years after her uncle,Robert Morriss, told this "unknown author" the Beale treasure story complete with letters, iron box containing the ciphers, Anzoletta Warwick Saunders had to sell her 300 acre Elk Creek plantation to pay off old debts?
She would have been 66 at that time, and died 5 years later at the age of 71.
Ward also had to sell his land in 1872, and then is contacted by this same "unknown author" 12 years later to act as copyright agent and publish this treasure story that he heard at the widows Saunders house.
Harriet Emmaline Otey Ward, Ward's wife was the niece of Morriss's wife, Sarah Mitchell Morriss, and Sarah's last years were spent at the Ward house were she died.
In one of Beale's alleged "letters", he mentions the great meals Sarah made, so she would have had knowledge of Beale and the iron box he left in her husband's care , and most important, the infamous Beale "letters".
Yet we are informed by this "unknown author" that Ward 'was ignorant of this episode in Mr Morriss' career, until the manuscript was placed in his hands"- plausible information included to indemnify Ward, who, though not mentioned by name in the job print pamphlet, is also included as a character in this adventure/treasure story.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen, end this or a mod will have to, All know our rules, if you can't be civil to each then put each other on ignore.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
So 10 years after her uncle,Robert Morriss, told this "unknown author" the Beale treasure story complete with letters, iron box containing the ciphers, Anzoletta Warwick Saunders had to sell her 300 acre Elk Creek plantation to pay off old debts?
She would have been 66 at that time, and died 5 years later at the age of 71.
Ward also had to sell his land in 1872, and then is contacted by this same "unknown author" 12 years later to act as copyright agent and publish this treasure story that he heard at the widows Saunders house.
Harriet Emmaline Otey Ward, Ward's wife was the niece of Morriss's wife, Sarah Mitchell Morriss, and Sarah's last years were spent at the Ward house were she died.
In one of Beale's alleged "letters", he mentions the great meals Sarah made, so she would have had knowledge of Beale and the iron box he left in her husband's care , and most important, the infamous Beale "letters".
Yet we are informed by this "unknown author" that Ward 'was ignorant of this episode in Mr Morriss' career, until the manuscript was placed in his hands"- plausible information included to indemnify Ward, who, though not mentioned by name in the job print pamphlet, is also included as a character in this adventure/treasure story.
"The gentleman whom I have selected as my agent..."
Does it seem curious that this "unknown author" presented James Beverly Ward with a finished manuscript with the aforementioned acknowledgement that Ward would carry out copyrighting the work as "agent" and publish the work for sale?
This is just one of many "tells" of purposeful discrepancies placed throughout the Beale Papers narrative text as a subtle way of informing the purchaser that these "authentic statements" are a work of fiction AND, most importantly, not to hold Ward responsible for those who believed it true and neglected their "legitimate business" in search of this treasure.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The copies were not burned in a stove. Prove it?
"Clayton was informed by Ward that all but a few copies had been destroyed by fire, which broke out in the printing shop BEFORE A PLAN OF DISTRIBUTION AND SALE at 50 cents a copy could be made and carried out"
- THE HART PAPERS (Presenting details of an ALLEGED burial of gold, silver, and jewels near Goose Creek, Bedford county, Virginia by Thomas Jefferson Beale...")

If this "alleged" statement of Clayton Hart was true, why were all those adds in the LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN placed stating the BEALE PAPERS were for sale at 50 cents, and John William Sherman's book review in the same newspaper which ended with this sales pitch statement" "Buy a book, get a pick and shovel, strike for Buford's, dig, grow rich or starve".
When sale were not up to expectation, the price for the pamphlet was lowered to 10 cents, and the remaining copies burned in a stove for heat.

The Hart Papers introduced the "Jefferson" for the initial "J" used in the original Beale Papers, as well as mentioning "Goose Creek" and the "Planter's Hotel" which also are not in the original, but have been picked up by other Beale "experts" and embellished in their books.
Most interesting is the Clayton Hart statement in the HART PAPERS that Ward solved Cipher 2, not the "unknown author" as told in first person in the original 1885 Beale Papers.

One last thing from the HART PAPERS:
"About the year 1903 Clayton visited Mr Ward...He confirmed all that is contained in the pamphlet".
What does that statement really mean?
Just as the "authentic statements" in the copyrighted title of the Beale Papers, "confirmed all that is contained" does state that the story is true.

Cryptography

Banned
Jan 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Clayton was informed by Ward that all but a few copies had been destroyed by fire, which broke out in the printing shop BEFORE A PLAN OF DISTRIBUTION AND SALE at 50 cents a copy could be made and carried out"
- THE HART PAPERS (Presenting details of an ALLEGED burial of gold, silver, and jewels near Goose Creek, Bedford county, Virginia by Thomas Jefferson Beale...")

If this "alleged" statement of Clayton Hart was true, why were all those adds in the LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN placed stating the BEALE PAPERS were for sale at 50 cents, and John William Sherman's book review in the same newspaper which ended with this sales pitch statement" "Buy a book, get a pick and shovel, strike for Buford's, dig, grow rich or starve".
When sale were not up to expectation, the price for the pamphlet was lowered to 10 cents, and the remaining copies burned in a stove for heat.

The Hart Papers introduced the "Jefferson" for the initial "J" used in the original Beale Papers, as well as mentioning "Goose Creek" and the "Planter's Hotel" which also are not in the original, but have been picked up by other Beale "experts" and embellished in their books.
Most interesting is the Clayton Hart statement in the HART PAPERS that Ward solved Cipher 2, not the "unknown author" as told in first person in the original 1885 Beale Papers.

One last thing from the HART PAPERS:
"About the year 1903 Clayton visited Mr Ward...He confirmed all that is contained in the pamphlet".
What does that statement really mean?
Just as the "authentic statements" in the copyrighted title of the Beale Papers, "confirmed all that is contained" does state that the story is true.

What pot belly stove????????

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Or possibly one that burned the Celeste Beale Diary you are so fond of?
ESC still making stuff up hah! :thumbsup:
...and you base your assumption on ... what?
Do you still hold the unfounded belief that the Beale character of the Beale Papers is the Thomas Beale Sr of 10 Canal Street and Uptown Plantation in New Orleans?

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
James Beverly Ward, born January 27, 1822, the son of Giles Ward and Adeline Risqué, daughter of James Beverly Risqué who had the duel with Thomas Beale.
Risque's other daughter, Harriet married George Hutter, and Ed ward S Hutter, and Fernand C Hutter were J B Ward's cousins with which he grew up.
At age 16, James Beverly Ward was accepted to the US Military Academy, but after 18 months , decided it was not much to his liking, and resigned in 1840.
Leaving New York, he went to St Louis , Missouri and work as an assistant to the military pay clerk in St Charles.
The Hutter family also served in St Louis, as well as his other Kennerly cousins who had a mercantile store there.
1843, Ward married Harriet Emmaline Buford Otey and moved back to Virginia, working on his mother
s farm in Campbell county, inherited from her father James Beverly Risqué, who died in 1843. Ward inherited his grandfathers library.
Harriet Ward's uncle was Pascal Buford and she was born and raised 4 miles from Buford's Tavern, where Thomas Beale was said to stay in the Beale letters, and her Otey family had vast land holdings in the GOOSE CREEK VALLEY, 2 miles from Buford's Tavern.
In 1852, Ward and his brother in law ,John W Otey, purchased a sawmill in Bedford county, but later sold it in 1856.
What in obvious is the contact Ward had with the Oteys, and Bufords during this time period.

Harriet had known the Morriss's since childhood, since her father, John B Otey and Robert Morriss were business partners in the 1820's, and Morriss was Ward's uncle by marriage, and Ward's daughter, Ann's middle names was Morriss.
Sarah Morris died at Ward's house, May 11,1861 and Robert Morriss, January 3, 1863, the 2nd Year of the Confederate War at his nieces house.
What did James Beverly Ward do during the Confederate War and up to the point of his applying for copyright as agent for the Beale Papers in 1884 on borrowed letterhead of ADAMS BROS. & PAYNES were his son -in-law, William D Johns was employed?
Let us examine one of "authentic statements" that could have been resolved before the job pamphlet publication, that being an eyewitness account of Beale's stay at Buford's Tavern by Pascal wife Francis.
They were NEVER consulted or asked about Beale by Ward or his wife.
Pascal Buford died July 23, 1875, ten years after the Confederate War, and his wife, Francis, March 26, 1884, a few moths before Ward applied for the copyright. No witnesses alive who could confirm of deny the treasure story of the BEALE PAPERS.
After the publication in 1885 and advertised for sale in THE LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN, the descendants of Withcher, Coles & Clay, who were mentioned in the job pamphlet treasure story complained about the use of their ancestors names as being used to legitimize this dime novel treasure tale. Max Guggenheimer, well known Lynchburg businessman contemporary to the 1885 publication and also mentioned in the pamphlet, did not complain, and sold copies at his store.
Pressure was brought upon Rowland Buford (1827-February 3. 1921) son of Pascal, and Bedford County Clerk to either verify this story or have Ward remove it from publication.
Sisters, Margaret L Buford who lived on the site of Buford's Tavern, and Mrs Ann Buford Hall were also bothered with complaints.
...and what did Ward do with the unsold copies after all this pressure brought down upon him?
The games may be worth the candle, but the flames took all the rest, and would have been forgotten if the Harts didn't bring it again to light from the ashes.
"About this time, however, affairs of importance required my presence in Richmond"- THE BEALE PAPERS
During the War of Northern Aggression Ward traveled to Richmond to create the "TABLES OF DISTANCES FROM PRINCIPLE POINTS IN THE CONFEDERATE STATES" for Ritchie & Dunnavant printers, Richmond company that also printed bonds for the Confederate government.
During the "2nd year of the Confederate War", Ward joined the Freemason Dove Lodge #51 in Richmond.
While Richmond, Ward may have encountered freeborn of color, Thomas J Beale, e member of the RICHMOND HOWITZERS, a freeborn of color home guard unit in Richmond, which have been the inspiration for the "J" initial and the "dark and Swarthy" description of Beale in the job print pamphlet.
Ward served in the Lynchburg home guard during the War, but during Reconstruction, suffered many financial difficulties, which quite possibly led to the copyrighting and publishing of the Beale Papers for profit, having knowledge of book sale due to his father's bookstore, WARD & DIGGS BOOKSELLERS of Lynchburg.
With the help of his cousin, John William Sherman, sub editor at the LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN and a printer at the newspaper's related VIRGINIA PRINT SHOP, made it all within his means.
With all the theories and claims presented, it all has to come back to the means, motive, and opportunity of JAMES BEVERLY WARD.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the prosecution rest. Now let us get on with the defense.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The first order of discovery should be the establishment of whether this unnamed a/k/a "unknown author" ever existed, then if he actually received this story, letters, iron box with ciphers from Robert Morriss during the "2nd year of the Confederate War". and then that said "unknown author" delivered to James Beverly Ward 20 years later, a finished manuscript for Ward to copyright as "agent" and publish.

Without the establishment of this "chain of evidence" delivery by any outside witness, ie, the widow Saunders or Harriet Ward, then it will be concluded that the Beale story and ciphers are therefore a fictional work written by James Beverly Ward with the possible contributions from others created for the sole purpose of generating income.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first order of discovery should be the establishment of whether this unnamed a/k/a "unknown author" ever existed, then if he actually received this story, letters, iron box with ciphers from Robert Morriss during the "2nd year of the Confederate War". and then that said "unknown author" delivered to James Beverly Ward 20 years later, a finished manuscript for Ward to copyright as "agent" and publish.

Without the establishment of this "chain of evidence" delivery by any outside witness, ie, the widow Saunders or Harriet Ward, then it will be concluded that the Beale story and ciphers are therefore a fictional work written by James Beverly Ward with the possible contributions from others created for the sole purpose of generating income.

ECS, As you are aware of, I am seeking that information and I hope to find it in writing. I still have six weeks before I can get to talk to people I need to talk to but the area is full of potential prospects of individuals that may have something in writing. I know of at least four families that could have something written down or letters. I still have to check in Richmond for family papers. If I find anything either for or against the validity of the Beale Papers I will let you and everyone else know. I feel chills every time I think of what information these people may have in their homes and they are unaware of it. I even hope to maybe find a box of the Job Print Pamphlets.

I am going to go to the Doctor's house ---------- the doctor that treated and took care of Robert Morriss in his last days and hours. Anzoletta's son, Abram or Abraham was Robert Morriss' one of his nurses. I then plan on going to the home where James Beverly Ward died, his son Charles died in the same house and the grandson Thomas died in the same house also. Is there anything still there? Or at the location where Robert Morriss died? I have to wait six more weeks before I can even begin to find out anything.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
"Knowledge of this affair was confined to a very limited circle-to the writer's immediate family, and one old and valued friend..."
-THE BEALE PAPERS
Dr Grandville L Brown was the physician that cared for Robert Morris at Anzoletta Warwick Saunders house during the "2nd year of the Confederate War".
Was he related to the Browns that married into the Otey family?
When one reads the above statement (posted above) made by the "unknown author", he alludes that Morriss only told him about the Beale treasure story, and that this "unknown author" is the one who told his immediate family and one friend before contacting Ward with the finished manuscript to act as copyright agent and publisher.
Hopefully this trip provides some outside confirmation concerning Morriss and the "unknown author" and prove to be another false or idle punctilio.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Knowledge of this affair was confined to a very limited circle-to the writer's immediate family, and one old and valued friend..."
-THE BEALE PAPERS
Dr Grandville L Brown was the physician that cared for Robert Morris at Anzoletta Warwick Saunders house during the "2nd year of the Confederate War".
Was he related to the Browns that married into the Otey family?
When one reads the above statement (posted above) made by the "unknown author", he alludes that Morriss only told him about the Beale treasure story, and that this "unknown author" is the one who told his immediate family and one friend before contacting Ward with the finished manuscript to act as copyright agent and publisher.
Hopefully this trip provides some outside confirmation concerning Morriss and the "unknown author" and prove to be another false or idle punctilio.

ECS, The reason I gave you the doctor's name that treated Robert Morriss is because there were actually four of them. If you notice the previous post I said I needed to talk with four families that lived near where Robert Morriss died? Well all four were doctors. I thought you would at least keep that information confidential until I had time to check it out but no you had to post it like you were the only one that had that information. I know not to share anything with you anymore.

There was also a Brown Family that owned the Franklin Hotel and left and went to St. Louis, MO. at an early date. Also when Robert Morriss first set up house-keeping in Lynchburg, he stayed with a family by the name of Brown. Was not John Buford Otey's wife a member of the Brown Family. Also Granville L. Brown had a brother living in St. Louis.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
ECS,... I thought you would at least keep that information confidential until I had time to check it out but no you had to post it like you were the only one that had that information. I know not to share anything with you anymore...
I'm sorry, Franklin, I did not realize that this was privileged confidential information, for you have mentioned the good doctor before on past threads.

The Browns may be another dead end, for the "unknown author" was emphatic about Morriss revealing the Beale treasure story ONLY to him.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I have never posted the good doctor's name. I told you in a PM and that was the only mention of it until you posted his name. But anyway nothing matters anymore because I am not going to pay any attention to any post by any poster until I see some facts. All of this back and forth crap is nothing but that, CRAP.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, you did give me that name in a PM, but also his name was brought up during one of those endless genealogy discussions concerning Harriet Emmaline Otey Ward's connection to Sarah Mitchell Morris through the relation of Shadrack Brown and Hannah Mitchell Brown, who Sarah's sister.
Shadrack and Hannah Brown's daughter Angelina M married John Buford Otey, Who are Harriet Ward's parents.
Also in that same thread discussion was a mention that Anzoletta's husband, David Saunders, sister Ann Dandridge Saunders married Dr Thomas Mitchell.
Anzoletta's two sons who were still at home when Robert Morris was there, were Daniel J age 21 and John M W age 16.

I hope this ends all this back and forth animosity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread