Status
Not open for further replies.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
James Beverly Ward, born January 27, 1822, the son of Giles Ward and Adeline Risqué, daughter of James Beverly Risqué who had the duel with Thomas Beale.
Risque's other daughter, Harriet married George Hutter, and Ed ward S Hutter, and Fernand C Hutter were J B Ward's cousins with which he grew up.
At age 16, James Beverly Ward was accepted to the US Military Academy, but after 18 months , decided it was not much to his liking, and resigned in 1840.
Leaving New York, he went to St Louis , Missouri and work as an assistant to the military pay clerk in St Charles.
The Hutter family also served in St Louis, as well as his other Kennerly cousins who had a mercantile store there.
1843, Ward married Harriet Emmaline Buford Otey and moved back to Virginia, working on his mother
s farm in Campbell county, inherited from her father James Beverly Risqué, who died in 1843. Ward inherited his grandfathers library.
Harriet Ward's uncle was Pascal Buford and she was born and raised 4 miles from Buford's Tavern, where Thomas Beale was said to stay in the Beale letters, and her Otey family had vast land holdings in the GOOSE CREEK VALLEY, 2 miles from Buford's Tavern.
In 1852, Ward and his brother in law ,John W Otey, purchased a sawmill in Bedford county, but later sold it in 1856.
What in obvious is the contact Ward had with the Oteys, and Bufords during this time period.

Harriet had known the Morriss's since childhood, since her father, John B Otey and Robert Morriss were business partners in the 1820's, and Morriss was Ward's uncle by marriage, and Ward's daughter, Ann's middle names was Morriss.
Sarah Morris died at Ward's house, May 11,1861 and Robert Morriss, January 3, 1863, the 2nd Year of the Confederate War at his nieces house.
What did James Beverly Ward do during the Confederate War and up to the point of his applying for copyright as agent for the Beale Papers in 1884 on borrowed letterhead of ADAMS BROS. & PAYNES were his son -in-law, William D Johns was employed?
Let us examine one of "authentic statements" that could have been resolved before the job pamphlet publication, that being an eyewitness account of Beale's stay at Buford's Tavern by Pascal wife Francis.
They were NEVER consulted or asked about Beale by Ward or his wife.
Pascal Buford died July 23, 1875, ten years after the Confederate War, and his wife, Francis, March 26, 1884, a few moths before Ward applied for the copyright. No witnesses alive who could confirm of deny the treasure story of the BEALE PAPERS.
After the publication in 1885 and advertised for sale in THE LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN, the descendants of Withcher, Coles & Clay, who were mentioned in the job pamphlet treasure story complained about the use of their ancestors names as being used to legitimize this dime novel treasure tale. Max Guggenheimer, well known Lynchburg businessman contemporary to the 1885 publication and also mentioned in the pamphlet, did not complain, and sold copies at his store.
Pressure was brought upon Rowland Buford (1827-February 3. 1921) son of Pascal, and Bedford County Clerk to either verify this story or have Ward remove it from publication.
Sisters, Margaret L Buford who lived on the site of Buford's Tavern, and Mrs Ann Buford Hall were also bothered with complaints.
...and what did Ward do with the unsold copies after all this pressure brought down upon him?
The games may be worth the candle, but the flames took all the rest, and would have been forgotten if the Harts didn't bring it again to light from the ashes.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, GREAT info... "minor" correction; it was "JB"'s father (Giles) who got the library (including LAW BOOKS) from James Beverly Risque's will. "JB" Ward got a few things, & I will have to get back to you on that... I CAN tell ya that Giles' wife (Risque's daughter) got HUNTER'S HILL in Campbell/Bedford County near TJ's Poplar Forest

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
What did Ward do during the Confederate War?
He joined Mason dove lodge #51 in Richmond, and either worked for of freelanced for RITCHIE & DUNNAVANT of Richmond, major printers for the Confederate government with contributions as "Tables Of Distances From Principle Points In The Confederate States".
While his Hutter, Buford, and Otey relatives served in the Confederacy, there is NO Confederate military record for James Beverly Ward.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION:

The unnamed unknown author heard the Beale story from Robert Morris(Ward's uncle) in the 2nd Year of the Confederate War, Morriss died January 3, 1863-the only person who could verify the version of Beale meeting Morriss and sending the letters.
Why did this unknown author wait 20 years before contacting James Beverly Ward as "agent" for his "authentic statements"?
Could it be that this unknown author was waiting for Pascal and Francis Buford to pass away, the only witness's would could confirm or deny Thomas Beale's stay at Buford's Tavern?
And if this was a Buford family history, why the denial of the Buford siblings contemporary with the Beale Papers publication?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did Ward do during the Confederate War?
He joined Mason dove lodge #51 in Richmond, and either worked for of freelanced for RITCHIE & DUNNAVANT of Richmond, major printers for the Confederate government with contributions as "Tables Of Distances From Principle Points In The Confederate States".
While his Hutter, Buford, and Otey relatives served in the Confederacy, there is NO Confederate military record for James Beverly Ward.

I'm still betting dollars to doughnuts that Ward knew Thomas J. Beale of Richmond. I think many things in narration point straight at him, this and he is the only Thomas J. Beale of record throughout the entire Beale mystery era right up to the print date. :thumbsup:

In fact, I'm still betting dollars to doughnuts that this same Thomas J. Beale was the source of the story. Personally, these days, I feel pretty certain about that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION: Those who knew the truth behind the Beale Papers

James Beverly Ward- copyright holder, publisher, possible author
Harriet E Otey Ward- wife, possible contributor of Beale's description
John William Sherman- cousin, pamphlet printer, possible contributor with Shakespeare reference
Max Guggenheimer- friend, names is used in story, sold copies at his store
F C Hutter- cousin, possible contributor of DOI "solved" cipher"
Charles W Button- Sherman's boss, owner of THE LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN that advertised the Beale Papers
V A Witcher- objected to his ancestors name mentioned in the dime novel pamphlet
Rowland Buford, Margaret L Buford, Ann Buford Hall-children of Pascal and Francis Buford who professed no knowledge of Thomas Beale's stay at Buford's Tavern or of the treasure vault story.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still betting dollars to doughnuts that Ward knew Thomas J. Beale of Richmond. I think many things in narration point straight at him, this and he is the only Thomas J. Beale of record throughout the entire Beale mystery era right up to the print date. :thumbsup:

In fact, I'm still betting dollars to doughnuts that this same Thomas J. Beale was the source of the story. Personally, these days, I feel pretty certain about that.
I'll take that bet, Bigscoop, and raise you a doughnut.
The Thomas Beale character of the job pamphlet was based on the Beale of the duel with Ward's grandfather Risqué, as the Jackson Ward Alderman Thomas J Beale was born in 1823, three years after the alleged Beale contact with Morriss and Buford.
Now Alderman Beale's name appeared in a Richmond newspaper in 1884 during the period that the Beale Papers were being created, and my thoughts are that the unnamed author "borrowed" the "J" to muddy the waters of identification of a "real Beale" to fit the story.
As has been stated many times on these threads, NO outside collaborating documentation exists outside of the Beale Papers that that prove that identity of the Thomas Beale of the story, or for that matter prove that anything in the dime novel job pamphlet ever occurred outside of this unnamed author's imagination.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll take that bet, Bigscoop, and raise you a doughnut.
as the Jackson Ward Alderman Thomas J Beale was born in 1823, three years after the alleged Beale contact with Morriss and Buford.
Now Alderman Beale's name appeared in a Richmond newspaper in 1884 during the period that the Beale Papers were being created,...

You think on this, I mean really think on it,...perhaps something of a very curious nature might come to you. In the narration we are asked to "make the connexion" so perhaps that connection really is something of a family nature. "Connexions" is French Creole, a dialect that was/is very prominent in places like New Orleans, and where did the Fincastle Thomas Beale relocate to? This is why I recently asked if he had taken his family with him when he left for New Orleans? Men away from home often get lonely and desire company. Just saying, if we can speculate that Thomas Jefferson and many others may have had children out of wedlock then why not Thomas Beale? Sort of puts a whole new spin on things, don't it.

I personally believe there is a good chance that the Thomas J. Beale of Richmond was the ******* son of either Thomas Beale Sr., (or possibly even Junior), and that he was the source to the tale, likely a family story that had been passed down to him, and while true or not he likely believed in that story. Of course, I can't verify any of this, so just call it an educated personal gut feeling. I think this is why the author elected to use the French Creole version of "connexion" when suggesting to his readers that this is what was required of them. I also feel it is possible that this is why the publication only saw limited distribution within the Lynchburg region. But this is just my personal feelings as to the most logical explanation beyond that of a simple work of fiction. This is why I have always tried to get Jean to adjust his thinking a bit. "If new evidence is to be found it isn't going to be found in all the same old places while conducting all the same old searches while chasing all the same old ghost." :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
HA! I'll throw in a few Vanilla coated donuts... there are a couple of FRENCH words or statements, in the Beale PAPERS Pamphlet (about R.M., I think); Oui...?

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... In the narration we are asked to "make the connexion" so perhaps that connection really is something of a family nature. "Connexions" is French Creole, a dialect that was/is very prominent in places like New Orleans, and where did the Fincastle Thomas Beale relocate to? ...
CONNEXION is not of a French Creole origin, but of a British origin, this spelling used in America from colonial time sand was an acceptable spelling on connection until the late 1800's. There are American legal documents of that period with the connexion spelling.
Remember, there is NO mention of New Orleans in the 1885 Beale Papers, and the only reason this is addressed is because after the duel with Risqué, that Thomas Beale fled there. After 130 years of research, NO CONNEXION has been documented between the New Orleans Beale and the use of the name Thomas Beale as a character in the adventure treasure dime novel pamphlet.
The same can be stated about the alderman Beale, there is NO evidence that he had anything to do with the job pamphlet except for the coincidence of having a "J" as a middle initial.
Speculation that is NOT sound research, just chasing any ghost with the name Thomas Beale.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONNEXION is not of a French Creole origin, but of a British origin, this spelling used in America from colonial time sand was an acceptable spelling on connection until the late 1800's. There are American legal documents of that period with the connexion spelling.
Remember, there is NO mention of New Orleans in the 1885 Beale Papers, and the only reason this is addressed is because after the duel with Risqué, that Thomas Beale fled there. After 130 years of research, NO CONNEXION has been documented between the New Orleans Beale and the use of the name Thomas Beale as a character in the adventure treasure dime novel pamphlet.
The same can be stated about the alderman Beale, there is NO evidence that he had anything to do with the job pamphlet except for the coincidence of having a "J" as a middle initial.
Speculation that is NOT sound research, just chasing any ghost with the name Thomas Beale.

Apparently your rush to debate/argue caused you to miss my own admission that I couldn't verify any direct connection. :laughing7: As for your suggestion in regards to the word "connexions" allow me to ask you, is the word connection ever used again in the narration, or in the letters, and if so how is it spelled? Do you think the same author would make it a habit of using multiple spellings without a reason? I don't know....perhaps, I suppose. At any rate, you can make trifle at my personal educated opinions all you wish, but they are my personal feelings as to a possible alternate solution to the source of the tale and I have my own reasons for believing in that "possibility." Just as I can make no direct connection to an alternate solution nor can I make any direct connection to any verification of a work of fiction. Apparently you have? If so, share that direct connection with me. :thumbsup:

And as for the spelling, "connexions".....well, I suppose we differ on that research/opinion. It is purely French and easily researched. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, GREAT info... "minor" correction; it was "JB"'s father (Giles) who got the library (including LAW BOOKS) from James Beverly Risque's will. "JB" Ward got a few things, & I will have to get back to you on that... I CAN tell ya that Giles' wife (Risque's daughter) got HUNTER'S HILL in Campbell/Bedford County near TJ's Poplar Forest
A few more vanilla-coated donuts... Giles Ward became a lawyer, after "reading law" with his father-in-law, James Beverly Risque (it was done in those days); THAT is why Giles got the Library in James Beverly Risque's will... MORE, later.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When Giles died James became involved in his father's estate, ironically this is about the same time when the lock was said to have been broken off the iron box. A metaphor, perhaps?

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

And as for the spelling, "connexions".....well, I suppose we differ on that research/opinion. It is purely French and easily researched. :thumbsup:
The Oxford dictionary, as well as others, give the origin of the "connexions" spelling as British.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Oxford dictionary, as well as others, give the origin of the "connexions" spelling as British.

All I can tell you is this, even today "connexions" is the French spelling for "connections" and that it has been for centuries. The English spelling is obviously, "connections" as due our own language, which is "English", the same as the British, again, for centuries. All of this routinely supported by past and present use of the spelling and by the vast majority of language based research and translation sources. I think what you are referencing is the origin of the word, "connections", not to be confused with it's translation into the French version, "connexions", which is 100% French both by spelling and pronunciation, both being components of that centuries old language.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
...and the last time , my friend, you based an alternative theory concerning the "story behind the Beale story" on the word "connexions", you took us all upon the magical mystery tour of Lafitte, Girard, Mexico Sherman, Bonaparte, while quoting John Laflin's forged fictional Lafitte diary as evidence. Using one work of fiction to prove another work of fiction as true does not work except for the "unwary reader".
The word "punctilio" is also used in the job pamphlet.
It is of Italian origin and was used by Shakespeare and other playwrights and poets of that time- a theory can be constructed around this word that relates the Beale treasure to Francis Bacon.
The point being made here is that NO EVIDENCE CAN DOCUMENT any of the events in the Beale Papers narrative, and what is provided is ambiguous enough to make one wonder, "what if it was a cover story"?
...and that is the punctilio of the matter.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
...and the last time , my friend, you based an alternative theory concerning the "story behind the Beale story" on the word "connexions", you took us all upon the magical mystery tour of Lafitte, Girard, Mexico Sherman, Bonaparte, while quoting John Laflin's forged fictional Lafitte diary as evidence. Using one work of fiction to prove another work of fiction as true does not work except for the "unwary reader".
It is of Italian origin and was used by Shakespeare and other playwrights and poets of that time- a theory can be constructed around this word that relates the Beale treasure to Francis Bacon.
The point being made here is that NO EVIDENCE CAN DOCUMENT any of the events in the Beale Papers narrative, and what is provided is ambiguous enough to make one wonder, "what if it was a cover story"?
HA! Vanilla-coated Donut & Coffee...?

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I personally believe there is a good chance that the Thomas J. Beale of Richmond was the ******* son of either Thomas Beale Sr., (or possibly even Junior), and that he was the source to the tale, likely a family story that had been passed down to him, and while true or not he likely believed in that story. Of course, I can't verify any of this... I also feel it is possible that this is why the publication only saw limited distribution within the Lynchburg region. But this is just my personal feelings as to the most logical explanation beyond that of a simple work of fiction...
As with the lack evidence that can Verify the Beale story as written, that same lack is even stronger when one goes out from the storyline of the Beale narrative text to create a new theory based on a similar name, be it spelled Beale, Beall, or any variation one can manipulate to fit a pet theory.
All these outside of the original Beale storyline theories do support that the BEALE PAPERS was and is nothing more than a work of fiction.

Cryptography

Banned
Jan 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"punctilio"

1800-1801 The Law of Nations, from French to English

Cryptography

Banned
Jan 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can tell you is this, even today "connexions" is the French spelling for "connections" and that it has been for centuries. The English spelling is obviously, "connections" as due our own language, which is "English", the same as the British, again, for centuries. All of this routinely supported by past and present use of the spelling and by the vast majority of language based research and translation sources. I think what you are referencing is the origin of the word, "connections", not to be confused with it's translation into the French version, "connexions", which is 100% French both by spelling and pronunciation, both being components of that centuries old language.

https://books.google.com/books?id=k...Mc4RhDoAQg3MAU#v=onepage&q=connexions&f=false

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread