Blowing The Cast Iron Lids Off Of Beale

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pivotal moment in my new course of research came when I really took the time to evaluate the contents of one communication, this being a letter that was sent to James Monroe in protest of the issue of pardons. Up to this point I had assumed that all of the pardon information in those general history resources was accurate since they all pretty much stated the same thing. Boy was I wrong!

What you will discover in the following communication is that the subject of pardons was on the table even before the battle and that for some, mainly the Laffite's, these pardons were discretionary and conditional, one of these conditions being that Laffite did participate in the defense of New Orleans. So if you believe that Monroe issued those pardons after the battle then you are way wrong, and in fact, he never issued them at all, this being left to the discretion of others, specifically Claiborne who was working closely with Jackson, one of the men referenced in the Beale narration. (Keep this in mind as it will come onto play again and again.)

In reality, the promise of pardon was the dangling of the carrot that will eventually lead to the tale in the 1885 narration. Here is that letter; (Read all of it very — very carefully, especially what I have underlined near the end.)

Poindexter, who served as a volunteer aide de camp with Major General Carroll at Chalmette, took time away from his role as a judge at Natchez, Miss., to assist Jackson in defending New Orleans from invading British forces. This is the text that he sent to Monroe in protest of the pardons that Jackson was requesting;

“Even a band of pirates was drawn into our ranks who were under prosecution of their crimes, and who had been invited to join the British while they occupied the Island near Lake Barataria. You will I hope sir, pardon me for stating to you, the manner, the circumstances of their transition from piracy to Patriotism, in the notorious Lafitte and his banditti. Edward Livingston, whose character is better known to you than myself, had contrived to attach himself and one or two of his adherents to the staff of Genl Jackson, as Volunteer Aids DeCamp (sic). The pirates had previously engaged him as their counsel to defend them in the District Court of the United States at New Orleans, and were by stipulation to give him the sum of twenty thousand dollars in case he succeeded in acquitting them. Knowing as he did that the evidence against them was conclusive, and that an impartial jury necessarily convict them, he advised the leaders of them "to make a tender of their services to Genl Jackson" in case he would come under a pledge to recommend them to the clemency of the Executive of the United States. Their services were accepted, and the condition acceeded to. How far the country is indebted to them for its safety it does not become me even to suggest an opinion. It is, however, a fact perfectly well known that their energy has been drawn by Mr. Livingston, their counsel; and there can be but little doubt that everything of an official stamp which is presented by the government respecting them, will emanate from the same source. If they are redeemed from Judicial investigation of their crimes with which they stand charged, his reward will be twenty thousand dollars of their piratical plunderings.

What the practice of Civilized Governments has been on similar occasions I am not fully prepared to say, nor do I remember an instance where pirates falling into the Country and under the power of one belligerent, have been offered protection and pardon of their offences, in case they would take up arms against the other belligerent. They are considered as enemies alike to both belligerents but I have thought it a duty incumbent on me as a good citizen to state the facts which came within my knowledge, as to the motives which led to the employment of these men, without intending them to have any other, than the weight which is your Judgment they merit.

It would seem to be an obvious inference from the past conduct of this band of robbers that if Louisiana should be again invaded, and they are enlarged, they would be restrained by no moral obligation from affording facilities to the Enemy.
I indulge the hope that you will pardon the freedom with which I address you on the present occasion, from a recollection, that when I last had the honor of an interview with you in Washington, you were so good as to allow me the liberty of writing to you confidentially. In that light, I wish you will view this communication, in so far as it may conflict with the wishes and opinions of General Jackson, relative to the grant of a pardon to the pirates, whom he has thought fit to employ in our service.”
Signed, George Poindexter

Now I can't tell you the many courses that this letter has sent me on over the years but I can tell you that there is more, so much more, the true nature of these relationships manifesting into something else in 1817 that would ultimately cause Monroe to request that Adams seek the opinion of Jackson in regards to public response to the newly proposed boundaries in “the west” that were to become law once/if the Adams Onis Treaty was signed. Jackson responded by saying that he thought the proposed boundaries would be generally accepted if they acquired the Floridas. Shortly afterwards the treaty was signed and then comes the first Beale deposit. Beale was in New Orleans with Jackson as well and he knew the Laffites and was even engaged in business affairs with them, had been in the same camp with Pierre Laffite the night before the famed New Orleans battle.

Yes, I have discovered “a lot” in recent years that I can now directly relate to the Beale narration. This including more details about something called the St. Louis Corporation that was also formed in 1817, the same year that the alleged Beale party was formed. This name, St. Louis, was recognizable to anyone who needed to recognize it for what it was, this name basically containing the true nature of its purpose. Obviously the company name is relative to St. Louis but in French it also means, “Island of the Serpent” in reference to Galveston Island, Laffite relocating there, again, in 1817, and still without restitution of his confiscated ships and goods that Patterson had seized despite protest from Claiborne, and also without restitution for the supplies that he provided during the famed battle that his lawyers were actively seeking. Do you see where all of this heading yet? Laffite still had substantial claims in the courts, the claims still being undecided. “Conditional pardons.”....hmmmmmm

And if you doubt the importance of Laffite's ships in securing the safety of this country you shouldn't, as when Patterson moved on Laffite's compounds Claiborne penned a very concerned letter that the confiscation of Laffite's vessels had left the entire Louisiana territory without defense. Now those are some pretty powerful and suggestive concerns, indeed. And there's more, a lot more, but we'll skip them for now.

When James Long set out on his expeditions into the Texas region he did so at Jackson's encouragement. And when debating the colonization of the French art Champ D'asile Monroe consulted none other then Jackson, whose only concern was that such a “colonization” could encourage negro and negro-Indian insurrections and colonization that could threaten the stability of the union, the issue of just how the Louisiana Territory was to be divided fairly between free slave territories and slave holding territories already threatening to rip the country apart. In any case Monroe and Jackson decided to risk it in order to obtain their objective in the west, this all having to do with the disputed boundaries and a passage to the Pacific, this all hinging on the current Adams Onis Treaty negotiations.

Now this is the short of it other then to say that there is a reason why Thomas Beale's presence in New Orleans disappears in 1817 and his name isn't mentioned again until those visits with Morriss. Now, perhaps, the following will be far more clear to you;

The two deposits are said to have been made in November 1819 and December 1821,

In The Beale Pamphlet Morriss claims that Beale’s two visits at his hotel took place on January 1820 and January
1822. Both of these dates fall “exactly” eleven months behind the dates of the signing and the ratification of the Adams Onis
Treaty.

Treaty signing date: February 1819
Beale’s first visit: January 1820
11 months
Treaty’s Rat. Date: February 1821
Beale’s second visit: January 1822
11 months

Going a step further it’s interesting to note that both deposit dates fall closely in order between the dates in the above
table, nine and ten months respectively.

(9 months)
First Deposit date: November 1819
(2 months)
11 months
(10 months)
Second Deposit date: December 1821
(1 month)
11 months

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting post, Bigscoop, but it is still a speculative romp through history in an attempt to revisit your favorite and often used Adams-Onis Treaty pet theory concerning the Beale Papers, based entirely on the "deposit dates".
...and you thrown in Champ d' Aisle for good measure, and Lafitte- will you be quoting John Laflin's fake Lafitte memoirs again to add Mathew "Mexico" Sherman to this revised "new" theory?

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

Yes, I have discovered “a lot” in recent years that I can now directly relate to the Beale narration. This including more details about something called the St. Louis Corporation that was also formed in 1817, the same year that the alleged Beale party was formed. This name, St. Louis, was recognizable to anyone who needed to recognize it for what it was, this name basically containing the true nature of its purpose...
...and the Governor of the Missouri Territory at that time was William Clark, married to Julia Hancock over whom a duel was fought between her uncle James Beverly Risqué(Aide de Camp to Andrew Jackson) and Thomas Beale.
Also, Julia's other uncle, US Lt George Hancock Kennerly opened a mercantile and provisions store in St Louis.
During the 1820's, the St Louis economy was based on the fur trade, banks took in fur as collateral for loans.
In 1820, the Long-Bell Expedition began their exploration of the new American west.
Then later the Hutters were in St Louis, and in the 1830's, their cousin James Beverly Ward, copyright agent of the 1885 Beale Papers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7:.....the fiction theory is on extremely shaky ground, I see.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"When the complexities of the situation become too much to sort out many just throw up their hands in hands in defeat and settle for remaining stranded in what they can sort out."

I wish you would quote more of that Sir Doyle stuff, especially the one about what remains, since you have completely ignored and personally passed on the first part of that quote you so admire. How's it go again? Much better when you post it. :laughing7:

masterpoe

Banned
Feb 3, 2015
University
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pivotal moment in my new course of research came when I really took the time to evaluate the contents of one communication, this being a letter that was sent to James Monroe in protest of the issue of pardons. Up to this point I had assumed that all of the pardon information in those general history resources was accurate since they all pretty much stated the same thing. Boy was I wrong!

What you will discover in the following communication is that the subject of pardons was on the table even before the battle and that for some, mainly the Laffite's, these pardons were discretionary and conditional, one of these conditions being that Laffite did participate in the defense of New Orleans. So if you believe that Monroe issued those pardons after the battle then you are way wrong, and in fact, he never issued them at all, this being left to the discretion of others, specifically Claiborne who was working closely with Jackson, one of the men referenced in the Beale narration. (Keep this in mind as it will come onto play again and again.)

In reality, the promise of pardon was the dangling of the carrot that will eventually lead to the tale in the 1885 narration. Here is that letter; (Read all of it very — very carefully, especially what I have underlined near the end.)

Poindexter, who served as a volunteer aide de camp with Major General Carroll at Chalmette, took time away from his role as a judge at Natchez, Miss., to assist Jackson in defending New Orleans from invading British forces. This is the text that he sent to Monroe in protest of the pardons that Jackson was requesting;

“Even a band of pirates was drawn into our ranks who were under prosecution of their crimes, and who had been invited to join the British while they occupied the Island near Lake Barataria. You will I hope sir, pardon me for stating to you, the manner, the circumstances of their transition from piracy to Patriotism, in the notorious Lafitte and his banditti. Edward Livingston, whose character is better known to you than myself, had contrived to attach himself and one or two of his adherents to the staff of Genl Jackson, as Volunteer Aids DeCamp (sic). The pirates had previously engaged him as their counsel to defend them in the District Court of the United States at New Orleans, and were by stipulation to give him the sum of twenty thousand dollars in case he succeeded in acquitting them. Knowing as he did that the evidence against them was conclusive, and that an impartial jury necessarily convict them, he advised the leaders of them "to make a tender of their services to Genl Jackson" in case he would come under a pledge to recommend them to the clemency of the Executive of the United States. Their services were accepted, and the condition acceeded to. How far the country is indebted to them for its safety it does not become me even to suggest an opinion. It is, however, a fact perfectly well known that their energy has been drawn by Mr. Livingston, their counsel; and there can be but little doubt that everything of an official stamp which is presented by the government respecting them, will emanate from the same source. If they are redeemed from Judicial investigation of their crimes with which they stand charged, his reward will be twenty thousand dollars of their piratical plunderings.

What the practice of Civilized Governments has been on similar occasions I am not fully prepared to say, nor do I remember an instance where pirates falling into the Country and under the power of one belligerent, have been offered protection and pardon of their offences, in case they would take up arms against the other belligerent. They are considered as enemies alike to both belligerents but I have thought it a duty incumbent on me as a good citizen to state the facts which came within my knowledge, as to the motives which led to the employment of these men, without intending them to have any other, than the weight which is your Judgment they merit.

It would seem to be an obvious inference from the past conduct of this band of robbers that if Louisiana should be again invaded, and they are enlarged, they would be restrained by no moral obligation from affording facilities to the Enemy.
I indulge the hope that you will pardon the freedom with which I address you on the present occasion, from a recollection, that when I last had the honor of an interview with you in Washington, you were so good as to allow me the liberty of writing to you confidentially. In that light, I wish you will view this communication, in so far as it may conflict with the wishes and opinions of General Jackson, relative to the grant of a pardon to the pirates, whom he has thought fit to employ in our service.”
Signed, George Poindexter

Now I can't tell you the many courses that this letter has sent me on over the years but I can tell you that there is more, so much more, the true nature of these relationships manifesting into something else in 1817 that would ultimately cause Monroe to request that Adams seek the opinion of Jackson in regards to public response to the newly proposed boundaries in “the west” that were to become law once/if the Adams Onis Treaty was signed. Jackson responded by saying that he thought the proposed boundaries would be generally accepted if they acquired the Floridas. Shortly afterwards the treaty was signed and then comes the first Beale deposit. Beale was in New Orleans with Jackson as well and he knew the Laffites and was even engaged in business affairs with them, had been in the same camp with Pierre Laffite the night before the famed New Orleans battle.

Yes, I have discovered “a lot” in recent years that I can now directly relate to the Beale narration. This including more details about something called the St. Louis Corporation that was also formed in 1817, the same year that the alleged Beale party was formed. This name, St. Louis, was recognizable to anyone who needed to recognize it for what it was, this name basically containing the true nature of its purpose. Obviously the company name is relative to St. Louis but in French it also means, “Island of the Serpent” in reference to Galveston Island, Laffite relocating there, again, in 1817, and still without restitution of his confiscated ships and goods that Patterson had seized despite protest from Claiborne, and also without restitution for the supplies that he provided during the famed battle that his lawyers were actively seeking. Do you see where all of this heading yet? Laffite still had substantial claims in the courts, the claims still being undecided. “Conditional pardons.”....hmmmmmm

And if you doubt the importance of Laffite's ships in securing the safety of this country you shouldn't, as when Patterson moved on Laffite's compounds Claiborne penned a very concerned letter that the confiscation of Laffite's vessels had left the entire Louisiana territory without defense. Now those are some pretty powerful and suggestive concerns, indeed. And there's more, a lot more, but we'll skip them for now.

When James Long set out on his expeditions into the Texas region he did so at Jackson's encouragement. And when debating the colonization of the French art Champ D'asile Monroe consulted none other then Jackson, whose only concern was that such a “colonization” could encourage negro and negro-Indian insurrections and colonization that could threaten the stability of the union, the issue of just how the Louisiana Territory was to be divided fairly between free slave territories and slave holding territories already threatening to rip the country apart. In any case Monroe and Jackson decided to risk it in order to obtain their objective in the west, this all having to do with the disputed boundaries and a passage to the Pacific, this all hinging on the current Adams Onis Treaty negotiations.

Now this is the short of it other then to say that there is a reason why Thomas Beale's presence in New Orleans disappears in 1817 and his name isn't mentioned again until those visits with Morriss. Now, perhaps, the following will be far more clear to you;

The two deposits are said to have been made in November 1819 and December 1821,

In The Beale Pamphlet Morriss claims that Beale’s two visits at his hotel took place on January 1820 and January
1822. Both of these dates fall “exactly” eleven months behind the dates of the signing and the ratification of the Adams Onis
Treaty.

11 months
11 months

Going a step further it’s interesting to note that both deposit dates fall closely in order between the dates in the above
table, nine and ten months respectively.

(9 months)
First Deposit date: November 1819
(2 months)
11 months
(10 months)
Second Deposit date: December 1821
(1 month)
11 months

The land mass that was acquired 250 - 300 miles north of Santa Fe with this treaty is quite interesting. Jean has a map of it on his Facebook https://m.facebook.com/BealeCipherDecoded/

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The land mass that was acquired 250 - 300 miles north of Santa Fe with this treaty is quite interesting. Jean has a map of it on his Facebook https://m.facebook.com/BealeCipherDecoded/

Right, but this is one of those areas where Jean and I don't agree as to the nature of that reference. Actually this was that critical term in the treaty that provided the desired access to the Pacific. Any further north and that critical access point was lost.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
:laughing7:.....the fiction theory is on extremely shaky ground, I see.
If that were so, you wouldn't expend all that energy trying to discount that.
Incidentally, every time you introduce a same old "new" alternative story behind the Beale story theory, it is you admission that the Beale Papers is a work of fiction, my friend.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that were so, you wouldn't expend all that energy trying to discount that.
Incidentally, every time you introduce a same old "new" alternative story behind the Beale story theory, it is you admission that the Beale Papers is a work of fiction, my friend.

Yes, yes. OK. Been down this same road of debate how many times before? :laughing7:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes we have, but I have seen you dismiss that extended Risqué family's "connexions" to locations and events in the Beale Papers, from Grandfather Risque's duel with Thomas Beale to Great uncle Risqué being massacred out west while inspecting gold and silver mines, to all the various family members that spent time in St Louis.
All can be coincidence. or all could provide research for a believable dime adventure/treasure novel.
Combine this those who had knowledge of Confederate codes, and all these coincidences add up with the only "connexion" to Adams-Onis Treaty was Grandfather Risque's request for a position in the Florida Territory.
While you promote these theories built around Adams-Onis, you neglect the obvious link to the "copyright agent" of Beale and his family.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes we have, but I have seen you dismiss that extended Risqué family's "connexions" to locations and events in the Beale Papers, from Grandfather Risque's duel with Thomas Beale to Great uncle Risqué being massacred out west while inspecting gold and silver mines, to all the various family members that spent time in St Louis.
All can be coincidence. or all could provide research for a believable dime adventure/treasure novel.
Combine this those who had knowledge of Confederate codes, and all these coincidences add up with the only "connexion" to Adams-Onis Treaty was Grandfather Risque's request for a position in the Florida Territory.
While you promote these theories built around Adams-Onis, you neglect the obvious link to the "copyright agent" of Beale and his family.

ECS, buddy, in the narration you are told that "Ward was just the selected agent." So by continuing to point this out at every breath you are actually "confirming those details." Thus, "NOT FICTION" at all. The fiction comes into play with everything else you have constructed around that point of, "Non-Fiction."

"It's a very round world here." :laughing7:

Tunnel vision exposed; "All can be coincidence. or all could provide research for a believable dime adventure/treasure novel."
Why have you excluded any and all other possibilities? :laughing7:

But, here we go with that pointless, round, same-old same-old again, which I am going to make effort to avoid yet once again. :thumbsup:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Bigscoop, buddy, I am not using the narrative text in the Beale Papers to prove the story in the Beale Papers is true as many others have recently.
Like you, I do not believe the Beale story is true as written, but that is where are difference in opinion begins.
"So you see, you're just like me, I hope you're satisfied"- Bob Dylan

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In continuing with the topic of this thread I want to point something out that folks will undoubtedly encounter if they wish to pursue anything in relation to the theory that I'm "attempting to present", and this has to do with those infamous oaths to Spain that have been dramatically overplayed throughout the years.

In reality those oaths were nothing more then a “formality” and they were taken by many notable names such as Wilkerson, Laffite, and even Jackson in his early years. For the most part these oaths were required in order to become eligible for land grants that Spain frequently offered to US citizens during times of peace, this being the only way a struggling Spain could establish colonization in many of their territories. So don't jump to conclusions, as has often been the case in the past, when these references are encountered as they have little to do with actual allegiance and more to do with simple business formality. :icon_thumright:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
You fail to mention British Florida that existed during the American Revolution before returning to Spanish control, and the major condition of Adams-Onis, was that the United States gain Florida, but had to RENOUNCE all American claims on Texas.
Gen Wilkinson received a pension from Spain, the Lafitte brothers spied for Spain, and Jackson forced Spain's hands by raids into Florida, including the Ambrister and Arbuthnot incident which led to the Adams-Onis negotiations.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You fail to mention British Florida that existed during the American Revolution before returning to Spanish control, and the major condition of Adams-Onis, was that the United States gain Florida, but had to RENOUNCE all American claims on Texas.
Gen Wilkinson received a pension from Spain, the Lafitte brothers spied for Spain, and Jackson forced Spain's hands by raids into Florida, including the Ambrister and Arbuthnot incident which led to the Adams-Onis negotiations.

What happened in that deal was when President Thomas Jefferson purchased the Louisiana Territory from France the Louisiana Purchase said that France ceded all of the land East of the Mississippi River and all the lands that drained into the Mississippi River from the West. Spain when they claimed the lands, France had a prior claim that went back to 1726. So Spain ended up with all the land West of the Mississippi River and South of the Arkansas River after it's war with France. But the problem of West Florida was never settled by the Louisiana Purchase so President James Monroe sent in General Andrew Jackson to take West Florida over and place it under the jurisdiction of Governor Claiborne. West Florida was only like a strip of land around Baton Rouge that was about 10 miles across. But anyway the Spanish had forts built on the south side of the Arkansas and the Americans built forts on the North side of the Arkansas River.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look, fellas, really research your history.....the letters and correspondences of those who I have referenced many times in these threads. I promise you, "During treaty negotiations Spain/Onis already knew that the Americans were going to gain all of Florida, the real duel being over those critical boundary lines in the west." There are letters to this effect, some of them on the Spanish side offering direction to Onis in regards to the loss of Florida and their only remaining concern being to "save whatever he could in the west." Florida was already a decided concession......."Texas" and/or those proposed western boundaries were the grand prize being battled.

There exist records of how Onis tried everything he could put on the table to press that parallel line further north and in a last act of desperation he proposed the middle of the rivers to be the boundaries. But in all of this the United States held out for what they required, that critical passage to the Pacific. You simply have no idea what was really at stake in these negotiations, not just between Spain and the Americas but also what was already brewing between the states, and those who were still pressing for all of Texas, or the pressures from France and Great Britain should the Americans choose to go after it all. You're still trying to examine the entire western region as it was during the era through a very-very-very tiny window. Soooooo much more that you need to know. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What happened in that deal was when President Thomas Jefferson purchased the Louisiana Territory from France the Louisiana Purchase said that France ceded all of the land East of the Mississippi River and all the lands that drained into the Mississippi River from the West. Spain when they claimed the lands, France had a prior claim that went back to 1726. So Spain ended up with all the land West of the Mississippi River and South of the Arkansas River after it's war with France. But the problem of West Florida was never settled by the Louisiana Purchase so President James Monroe sent in General Andrew Jackson to take West Florida over and place it under the jurisdiction of Governor Claiborne. West Florida was only like a strip of land around Baton Rouge that was about 10 miles across. But anyway the Spanish had forts built on the south side of the Arkansas and the Americans built forts on the North side of the Arkansas River.

Let's examine the truth behind the Louisiana Purchase, and that truth is simply this, as is common knowledge to anyone who has ever researched it in any length. The western borders of that purchase became in protest by Spain the minute America made the purchase, this being due to inaccuracies in in the existing topographical renderings of the region. The western borders of the Louisiana Purchase were not settled and agreed to by Spain until the Adams Onis Treaty, "only then was the purchase made complete." Up until that point this purchase remained, "without legally and clearly defined and accepted western borders." Forget Florida, everyone knew that the Americans were going to win that territory regardless, especially after the Amilia Island and Jackson actions. At that point Florida was a done deal.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
If one remembers the that US agreed to pay off the grievous claims of American citizens against Spain, set aside 5 million dollars for that payout.
A few legitimate claims were paid from this fund, but guess who received the lion's share of the payouts?
Those American "patriots" who helped bring about the negotiations of the Adams-Onis Treaty.
Major James Beverly Risqué was one of these "patriots" in Florida with Andrew Jackson, and it is known that Risqué paid close attention to the signing and ratification of Adams-Onis for he wanted an appointment in the newly acquired Florida Territory.
Was Risqué among these "patriot" recipients of the Treaty payouts?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If one remembers the that US agreed to pay off the grievous claims of American citizens against Spain, set aside 5 million dollars for that payout.
A few legitimate claims were paid from this fund, but guess who received the lion's share of the payouts?
Those American "patriots" who helped bring about the negotiations of the Adams-Onis Treaty.
Major James Beverly Risqué was one of these "patriots" in Florida with Andrew Jackson, and it is known that Risqué paid close attention to the signing and ratification of Adams-Onis for he wanted an appointment in the newly acquired Florida Territory.
Was Risqué among these "patriot" recipients of the Treaty payouts?

Not only did Risqué get Treaty payouts, he and General Jackson got all of the treasury from the Royal Mint in Baton Rouge, LA then West Florida and it's own sovereign country within our borders.

masterpoe

Banned
Feb 3, 2015
University
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only did Risqué get Treaty payouts, he and General Jackson got all of the treasury from the Royal Mint in Baton Rouge, LA then West Florida and it's own sovereign country within our borders.

Not seeing a Royal Mint?
default.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread