Finding Thomas Beale?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you go about searching for this guy, or any trace of him? The generally accepted, and obvious method, is to start conducting searches for that name in the time period in which you hope to find information on him. And when this is exhausted, which it clearly has been for quite some time, then what? Just because direct searches for this man have failed to produce much of value over the years doesn't mean that there is no more evidence or information about him to be found. Friends, associates, business, "or anywhere else you have reason to suspect that more information on him might be found."

There are endless documents and records that contain desired information even though direct searches for that information has failed to produce it. In my current research I have run across this time and time again, the subject being hunted never showing up in direct searches but rather during searches in areas that I suspected that some of that information might be found. I just recently located another reference to Thomas Beale in what is a huge list of names in connection with one of those suspected possibilities I was searching. Even when I had typed in the name Thomas Beale + suspected subject, nothing came up. Strange, but true, and yet reference of this name was there. Sometimes the subject searched will identify other people or events or places of suspicion, these eventually leading you to what you had originally been in search of.

So how do you find more information about Thomas Beale and his activities? Well, you have to entertain quite a bit and then research any and all suspicions, this same being true with about most anything. Sometimes you can even find him without ever really finding his name, just depends on the circumstances, i.e., if he was riding his horse Dudley and his horse was "there" when he was riding it then must have been there too. :thumbsup:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
How do you go about searching for this guy, or any trace of him? The generally accepted, and obvious method, is to start conducting searches for that name in the time period in which you hope to find information on him. And when this is exhausted, which it clearly has been for quite some time, then what? Just because direct searches for this man have failed to produce much of value over the years doesn't mean that there is no more evidence or information about him to be found. Friends, associates, business, "or anywhere else you have reason to suspect that more information on him might be found."

There are endless documents and records that contain desired information even though direct searches for that information has failed to produce it. In my current research I have run across this time and time again, the subject being hunted never showing up in direct searches but rather during searches in areas that I suspected that some of that information might be found. I just recently located another reference to Thomas Beale in what is a huge list of names in connection with one of those suspected possibilities I was searching. Even when I had typed in the name Thomas Beale + suspected subject, nothing came up. Strange, but true, and yet reference of this name was there. Sometimes the subject searched will identify other people or events or places of suspicion, these eventually leading you to what you had originally been in search of.

So how do you find more information about Thomas Beale and his activities? Well, you have to entertain quite a bit and then research any and all suspicions, this same being true with about most anything. Sometimes you can even find him without ever really finding his name, just depends on the circumstances, i.e., if he was riding his horse Dudley and his horse was "there" when he was riding it then must have been there too. :thumbsup:
Thomas J. Beale in Lynchburg, Va. "area"... NOTHING! Thomas Jefferson Beale...? NOTHING! Thomas Beale, Sr. in Botetourt Co., Va. & New Orleans, Louisiana? LOTS! Thomas Beale, Jr. in Botetourt County, Va. & New Orleans, Louisiana? LOTS! LOTS of info on Beal, Beall, etc, TOO! Heh... HH! Good Luck! :laughing7:

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

So how do you find more information about Thomas Beale and his activities? Well, you have to entertain quite a bit and then research any and all suspicions, this same being true with about most anything. Sometimes you can even find him without ever really finding his name, just depends on the circumstances...
I think you have shown evidence of that several times over.
You do realize that the name "Thomas J Beale" was used as a character name in the oft mentioned job pamphlet?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have shown evidence of that several times over.
You do realize that the name "Thomas J Beale" was used as a character name in the oft mentioned job pamphlet?

Man, I was soooo hoping you'd go there....even knew you would. I guess it can then be said, since the entire narration is basically about him, that Thomas J. Beale is indeed directly connected to the story, yes? As is Morriss, Ward, or any other name referenced in the narration. I think at times we have the tendency to look far too hard for what is already there.

Now then, if you want to suggest that I have yet to identify the correct Thomas J. Beale that is directly connected to the story, then that statement I'll have to, sort of, agree with, as I have yet to actually put "all of that" related info out here. But does this mean that I don't exactly know who he was?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here, since others are now locating this information I'll put it out here. In all of this, somewhere, you can find your Thomas Beale, the right Thomas Beale. But I assure you, it ain't going to be easy or accomplished with those quick generalized internet searches. Your going to have to think out of the box and entertain a lot of possible avenues.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/USN/1817/18171215Amelia.html

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck, I'll even give you this;

In the spring of 1816, I believe it was but don't actually have it in front of me to be certain of the exact year, a man by the name of Beale secured a select load, and saw to the personal safe delivery of, a shipment of "Brazilian Hardwood" for a wealthy buyer on the east coast. This select shipment of Brazilian hardwood was from Brazil, of course. So did this man fly to Brazil, perhaps? I wonder if having spent extended stay in Brazil if one might not grow even darker then he was before? Virginia, I believe, is in relative close proximity to the east coast and......oh never mind, it would take years to track all of this down and to further entertain and research all of those various avenues and possibilities. Just suggesting different notions that can be employed to find more Beales when traditional searches fail.

Point is, with just this we know of at least one Beale that had boarded a ship and traveled to Brazil.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very long read about certain well known pirates, their activities in Galveston, New Orleans, Amelia Island, but alas, no Thomas J Beale of the Beale Papers.

No? :laughing7: Maybe you're just not looking hard enough.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you are looking too hard to prove this current pet theory.

Could be, what I have now certainly suggest that I have missed things in the past that could have been more easily found had I just not focused so hard on only one avenue. We certainly learn as we go, "if we choose to go," that's for sure.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Point is, with just this we know of at least one Beale that had boarded a ship and traveled to Brazil.
...and another Beale was on a British merchant ship that went down, another Beale went down the Mississippi, another Beale went to China, another Beale went to Missouri, another Beale went to New Orleans, here a Beale, there a Beale, everywhere a Beale, Beale, and yes, the Alderman Beale and the fictional Beale of the Beale Papers.
...or, this Beale went to China, this Beale stayed home, this Beale ate roastbeef at Burford's, this Beale had none, this Beale lost his men at the Battle of New Orleans, and ran all the way home.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
...and another Beale was on a British merchant ship that went down, another Beale went down the Mississippi, another Beale went to China, another Beale went to Missouri, another Beale went to New Orleans, here a Beale, there a Beale, everywhere a Beale, Beale, and yes, the Alderman Beale and the fictional Beale of the Beale Papers.
...or, this Beale went to China, this Beale stayed home, this Beale ate roastbeef at Burford's, this Beale had none, this Beale lost his men at the Battle of New Orleans, and ran all the way home.
You forgot BEE ALE! GOOD stuff!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No doubt, sorting them all out presents quite the challenge. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The narration "is about the Beale family" and not the Risque family and it spans more then 65 years. Thomas Jordan Beale, sometimes also referenced to as Frank or just Jordan, was born in 1826 and he died in 1884 at the age of 58 in California but he wasn't out there very long. In 1862 he was still in the Richmond/Lynchburg area. The narration begins at one end of this family's history and it ends at/with the other, "someone revealing something they believed in." The secret was confined to a small circle of family and one trusted friend, the story is about a Thomas Beale, not a Risque or Ward, etc. "Sometimes we look too hard for things that are already there." :thumbsup:

masterpoe

Banned
Feb 3, 2015
University
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No doubt, sorting them all out presents quite the challenge. :icon_thumright:

It would be a good idea to make a list of all the Thomas Beale's and then to prioritize them. Working to provide a history of each and eliminating them as you find out who is not eligible. There can only be one!

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be a good idea to make a list of all the Thomas Beale's and then to prioritize them. Working to provide a history of each and eliminating them as you find out who is not eligible. There can only be one!

On the other hand if the story was fiction it makes no difference if you check a hundred or even a thousand Thomas Beales.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the other hand if the story was fiction it makes no difference if you check a hundred or even a thousand Thomas Beales.

"Fiction/True"......sometimes there's a fine line separating truth and fiction. A lot of stories have been told that weren't "exactly accurate" and yet they contained a certain measure of truth.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As looking for and creating "connexions" that are not there that will lead to seeing "TJB" initials in the landscapes across America. :laughing7:

You can take that up with him/them. There are threads here dedicated to that very subject.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
"Fiction/True"......sometimes there's a fine line separating truth and fiction. A lot of stories have been told that weren't "exactly accurate" and yet they contained a certain measure of truth.
They are called "historical fiction novels", like a certain dime novel that has been discussed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread