Digging the Roots

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While everyone is making claims of deciphering and figuring out different roads to search for the Beale Treasure, I am only researching trying to prove the story is a hoax or did it really happen. I have found no evidence out West. I have checked all of the Spanish Archives which you can obtain on line. Years ago I had to get them on Inter-Library Loan.

No I always loved a saying that grandma said on "Pure Country" "go to the roots that is where you will find him" And that is exactly what I have been doing for the past two years. I have been to Sandusky in Lynchburg to seek out diaries and letters-------nothing new there although I have not gotten a copy of the last Hutter that lived there and I am in the process of getting it.

I have searched the roots of Robert Morris. I found his father and mother and his three sisters and their children and some of the children's children. I have found Sarah Mitchell's father and mother and some of her brothers and sisters and scores of nieces and nephews of both of them. I have found no wedding certificate from Loudoun County, Virginia but I do believe they were married between 1812 and 1814 that is when they showed up in Lynchburg, Virginia and started buying up everything in site. Robert Morris was quite a wealthy man being left money from a Will of Robert Morris that signed the DOI. Robert Morris of Lynchburg being his half nephew. I have copies and verification documents of all this information.

I also have the deeds from Campbell County, Virginia that gives me the location of the James Beverly Risqué Plantation. It was a plantation of 306 acres. After inheriting the property for his father and mother, James Beverly Ward sold off one half of the plantation northern land for $1,000.

I have found that the house where Robert Morris died was owned by a surgeon of the Revolutionary War and he married Robert Morris's niece. The surgeon died in 1864 and Robert Morris died in January, 1863. Also Sarah Morris, Robert Morris's wife died in 1861.

The one half tract of land of the JBR Plantation was sold off by James Beverly Ward's son, Charles Bell Ward sometime after World War II to finance a college education for siblings of the family.

I have found three cemeteries on this plantation property but no headstones to identify James Beverly Ward, his father and mother, his wife and his children. Two of James Beverly Ward's children died before the American Civil War.

James Beverly Ward died in Lynchburg at the home of his daughter that married a McVeigh. McVeigh was the lady that let Peter Viemiester make a photocopy for his book on the Beale Treasure the Red Copy and then the Blue Copy.

That all I can say for now about the roots until I do some more digging. I hope to find a Thomas J. Beale somewhere among the roots in Campbell, Bedford or Botetourt County.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Beale Family was MORE known in Botetourt County... you have a copy of IN SEARCH OF THE GOLDEN VAULT by E.J. Easterling...? Toler Ransone knew 3 generations of Beales From Buchanan, Va. AND! Harry Fulwiler, Jr., in his book, BUCHANAN, VIRGINIA GATEWAY TO THE SOUTHWEST... had a LOT of info on the Beale family, starting with Thomas Beale in 1640. It is Chapter 3, "The Beale Family", pg. 106-107.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
@ 5 years ago, I did R & I in Buchanan, Va. Library on Main Street; the Fulwiler book had so much info on the Beale family that I couldn't copy it all (which I normally do if info is/was < 10 pages...). I would have to buy the book. ANYWAY, NOTHING on Thomas J. Beale in it per Beale PAPERS Pamphlet. NOTHING on the Pamphlet, NOR the Beale Expedition of 1817-1822.

masterpoe

Banned
Feb 3, 2015
University
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While everyone is making claims of deciphering and figuring out different roads to search for the Beale Treasure, I am only researching trying to prove the story is a hoax or did it really happen. I have found no evidence out West. I have checked all of the Spanish Archives which you can obtain on line. Years ago I had to get them on Inter-Library Loan.

No I always loved a saying that grandma said on "Pure Country" "go to the roots that is where you will find him" And that is exactly what I have been doing for the past two years. I have been to Sandusky in Lynchburg to seek out diaries and letters-------nothing new there although I have not gotten a copy of the last Hutter that lived there and I am in the process of getting it.

I have searched the roots of Robert Morris. I found his father and mother and his three sisters and their children and some of the children's children. I have found Sarah Mitchell's father and mother and some of her brothers and sisters and scores of nieces and nephews of both of them. I have found no wedding certificate from Loudoun County, Virginia but I do believe they were married between 1812 and 1814 that is when they showed up in Lynchburg, Virginia and started buying up everything in site. Robert Morris was quite a wealthy man being left money from a Will of Robert Morris that signed the DOI. Robert Morris of Lynchburg being his half nephew. I have copies and verification documents of all this information.

I also have the deeds from Campbell County, Virginia that gives me the location of the James Beverly Risqué Plantation. It was a plantation of 306 acres. After inheriting the property for his father and mother, James Beverly Ward sold off one half of the plantation northern land for $1,000.

I have found that the house where Robert Morris died was owned by a surgeon of the Revolutionary War and he married Robert Morris's niece. The surgeon died in 1864 and Robert Morris died in January, 1863. Also Sarah Morris, Robert Morris's wife died in 1861.

The one half tract of land of the JBR Plantation was sold off by James Beverly Ward's son, Charles Bell Ward sometime after World War II to finance a college education for siblings of the family.

I have found three cemeteries on this plantation property but no headstones to identify James Beverly Ward, his father and mother, his wife and his children. Two of James Beverly Ward's children died before the American Civil War.

James Beverly Ward died in Lynchburg at the home of his daughter that married a McVeigh. McVeigh was the lady that let Peter Viemiester make a photocopy for his book on the Beale Treasure the Red Copy and then the Blue Copy.

That all I can say for now about the roots until I do some more digging. I hope to find a Thomas J. Beale somewhere among the roots in Campbell, Bedford or Botetourt County.

If a person was in the war of 1776 and be a surgeon he would have been born about 1757 making him over 100 at the time of his death. About 60 the time he married Mr M's niece?

masterpoe

Banned
Feb 3, 2015
University
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a person was in the war of 1776 and be a surgeon he would have been born about 1757 making him over 100 at the time of his death. About 60 the time he married Mr M's niece?

Not that there is something wrong whith a 60 year old getting married to a 16 year old, at least where I comes from CANADA!

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Maybe he was a surgeon of the War of 1812. I have no birth dates but he was a war surgeon. Most likely there was a reason Robert Morris was staying with him and that could have been medical related. I could never figure why his wife died at the home of James Beverly Ward and James Beverly Ward paid for the funeral. And then here was Robert Morris staying with his niece and her husband. It had to be a medical problem.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

James Beverly Ward died in Lynchburg at the home of his daughter that married a McVeigh. McVeigh was the lady that let Peter Viemiester make a photocopy for his book on the Beale Treasure the Red Copy and then the Blue Copy...
That was Adeline Ward McVeigh, who was interviewed by Martha Rivers Adams in 1934 for THE LYNCHBURG NEWS.
Also present during this interview was McVeigh's daughter, Leila L Walker and grandson, Gorham B Walker, and it at this interview McVeigh stated that she believed her father, James Beverly Ward, was the author of the 1885 Beale Papers
George Hart and Pauline Innis consulted with Martha Rivers Adams about this interview.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... I could never figure why his wife died at the home of James Beverly Ward and James Beverly Ward paid for the funeral. And then here was Robert Morris staying with his niece and her husband. It had to be a medical problem.
Morris died during the "2nd Year of the Confederate War", and it is curious that he was not at Ward's house.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morris died during the "2nd Year of the Confederate War", and it is curious that he was not at Ward's house.

That is what I have always tried to find out but there is no answers yet. Also why did James Beverly Ward pay for the funeral? She was more kin to the Wards on her side of the family and Robert Morris was more kin to his niece but still it is strange for both to die in two separate homes? Still Robert Morris being Mayor of Lynchburg why does no one care where he is buried. Did he have some contagious disease? A lot of work yet to be done. I do have Robert Morris' business inventories when he had a mercantile store in Baltimore, Md.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It may be because Robert Morris was in business with a member of the Otey family, and Ward's wife, an Otey knew Morris as a child.
...and Ward was also in business with an Otey after returning from St Louis where he worked as an assistance military pay clerk.
As I have mentioned, there is an Otey family connection to the Beale story from Ward to the Harts to Pauline Innis.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
That is what I have always tried to find out but there is no answers yet. Also why did James Beverly Ward pay for the funeral? She was more kin to the Wards on her side of the family and Robert Morris was more kin to his niece but still it is strange for both to die in two separate homes? Still Robert Morris being Mayor of Lynchburg why does no one care where he is buried. Did he have some contagious disease? A lot of work yet to be done. I do have Robert Morris' business inventories when he had a mercantile store in Baltimore, Md.
Wasn't there a ROBERT MORRIS INN in Maryland, on the Chesapeke Bay or Maryland Eastern Shore...?

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't there a ROBERT MORRIS INN in Maryland, on the Chesapeke Bay or Maryland Eastern Shore...?

Most likely named for Robert Morris the signer of the DOI. Also Robert Morris University.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Clay, Witcher, and Coles who are mentioned in the Beale Papers of having been entertained by Robert Morriss all took part in the American Revolution, Rev Charles Green Clay conducted the invocation at the 1815 Lynchburg banquet for Andrew Jackson which was attended by Thomas Jefferson, James Beverly Risqué, and Pascal Buford.

Garry

Apr 19, 2009

Franklin,

I'm being lazy here and I will fully understand if you are reluctant to share your hard earned research but I will ask.:)

From Robert Morriss's Obituary:

Do you have a Census for David Saunders or his wife that you can share? Is Roslin a plantation around Lynchburg?

Garry

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Huh. I read on Wiki Morris got bit in land speculating after former partner Greenleaf ( doing time in debtors prison) sued him and Morris himself ended up doing time till the 1800 bankruptcy act sprung him before his death a few years later.
Must be he managed to retain some land holdings to allow leaving the other Morris money from his will?

Quite a character though with lots of cleverness and no fear of big deals.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Franklin,

I'm being lazy here and I will fully understand if you are reluctant to share your hard earned research but I will ask.:)

From Robert Morriss's Obituary:

Do you have a Census for David Saunders or his wife that you can share? Is Roslin a plantation around Lynchburg?

Garry
Roslin is just a short street above the warehouses beyond 12th Street; NO plantation.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roslin is just a short street above the warehouses beyond 12th Street; NO plantation.

David Saunders was not the one that married Rosalyn. I thought I had it nailed down but she married another Saunders. Back to the R & I. Sorry.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
While everyone is making claims of deciphering and figuring out different roads to search for the Beale Treasure, I am only researching trying to prove the story is a hoax or did it really happen...
Ward's copyrighted 1885 Beale Papers was a Lynchburg localized adventure/treasure dime novel with parlor entertainment ciphers sold either for profit or as a Freemason fund raiser for the victims of the Lynchburg fire.
It was never intended as a hoax, or for that matter, a true treasure story, or a cover story for the real story behind the story, those are the creations of others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread