The Robert and Sarah Morriss Story

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I mentioned sometime ago that I believed Anzoletta (Angeline) Saunders may have been raised, after her mother’s death, by Robert and Sarah Morriss.

The major clue we have followed appears in Robert Morriss’s obituary in which it says that he died at the residence of his niece, Mrs. David Saunders.

What I believe we can be pretty sure of from previous posts:

Mrs. David Saunders is Anzoletta Warwick.
Anzoletta Warwick is Robert Morriss’s niece.
Anzoletta Warwick’s mother, Luanna (Leanne) Morriss was Robert Morris’s sister.
“Captain” William Warwick and Luanna Morriss Dawson Warwick had four children that reached adulthood. Besides Anzoletta (Born abt 1805), there was Robert M Warwick (Born abt 1808), Maria M Warwick (Born abt 1810) and Daniel James Warwick (Born abt 1812).

These four Warwick children were nieces and nephews of Robert Morriss.
There are other hints of the closeness of Anzoletta and Maria to Robert and Sarah Morriss.
The Warwick and Saunders genealogy contain interesting but conflicting information.
"Major Thomas Lefwich ...married Maria Warwick, daughter of W Warwick, Amherst Co, Virginia"
"On March 5, 1856, for love and affection which I have for my niece, Maria W Lefwich, conveyed her a great deal of personal property"-Robert Morriss
Re: Saunders, Warwick, Leftwic - Genealogy.com
https://myheritage.com/names/maria_warwick
Then there is this that lists William Warwick and Leanne Dawson having only three sons:
http://geni/people/William-Warwick/6000000012440340079

QUESTION: Where did you find the information that Leanne Dawson was Robert Morriss"s sister?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Also James Beverly Ward's daughter, Annie Morriss Ward married William Johns, who worked at ADAMS BROS & PAYNES, whose letterhead Ward used to apply for the BEALE PAPERS copyright with only the title, not a finished manuscript.
One may have noticed in the Warwick and Saunders family trees, the surname JOHNS also appears.

It is interesting that so many of these Bedford, Botetourt, and Campbell county Virginia families are intertwined, but beyond Morriss, the "unknown author", and James Beverly Ward, are there any real connections to the Beale story that actually matter?

OP
OP
G

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
QUESTION: Where did you find the information that Leanne Dawson was Robert Morriss"s sister?

We know Ansoletta and Maria were identidied as nieces of Robert Morriss. If this is indeed true, we know that they are the children of Robert's brother or sister. Since Robert Morris was not William Warwick's brother. the only remaining explanation is that Leanne is Robert Morriss's sister. It follows that Dawson was Leanne's first husband although that marriage record has not been found.

Garry

OP
OP
G

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
"On March 5, 1856, for love and affection which I have for my niece, Maria W Lefwich, conveyed her a great deal of personal property"-Robert Morriss

ECS, Great Find!!

I'm checking out this document and it seems excellently sourced. "Deed Book "U", Page 279, Lynchburgh, Virginia" (It would be great to view the complete document and the context)

My image of the events surrounding the life of Robert Morriss has changed several times in the last few months and this deed raises new questions. What was significant about 1856 to cause this transaction? What does a "Great Deal of Personal Property" mean? etc.

As far as the links to the genealogy of William Warwick, I would only caution that the unless some type of sourced data exists I would tread cautiously before taking "anything" to the bank.

The William Warwick Tree that I have developed (Certainly not quite 100% sourced) has William Warwick being born about 1765 and in 1783 marrying Sarah Barksdale in Albemarle County, Virginia. I have 9 children being born to that marriage, In 1804, Campbell County, Virginia, William Warwick married Luanna Dawson and there were 4 children born to that marriage (2 girls and 2 boys), and finally William Warwick married a third time to Frances Blakely in 1818, Henrico County, and they would have 6 children. William would father 19 children that are identifed and there could have been more who died young. It's all extremely confusing but I'm confident the family of William and Luanna, that we are interested in, is correct.

Garry

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
We know Ansoletta and Maria were identidied as nieces of Robert Morriss. If this is indeed true, we know that they are the children of Robert's brother or sister. Since Robert Morris was not William Warwick's brother. the only remaining explanation is that Leanne is Robert Morriss's sister. It follows that Dawson was Leanne's first husband although that marriage record has not been found.
...or it could be through Sarah Mitchell Morriss.
Dr Thomas Mitchell married Ann Dandridge Saunders, the daughter of Col David Saunders.
NOTE: The Johns surname also appears in the Mitchell family tree.
http://mitchells.elementfx.com/john.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
...or it could be through Sarah Mitchell Morriss.
Dr Thomas Mitchell married Ann Dandridge Saunders, the daughter of Col David Saunders.
NOTE: The Johns surname also appears in the Mitchell family tree.
John Mitchell - Mitchell's of Virginia

ECS,

You are correct!

Niece: The daughter of one's brother or sister or of the brother or sister of one's spouse.

You are suggesting that Maria and Anzoletta Warwick could have been the nieces of Sarah Morriss.

This would mean that Leanna Dawson, Anzoletta and Maria's mother, was the sister of Sarah Morriss (They would share a maiden name?)

or

Leanna Dawson's husband was the brother of Sarah Morriss (I beleive this would mean that Sarah Morriss's maiden name was Dawson?)

Have I finally got this correct?:)

I haven't tried to introduce a maiden name (Mitchell??) to Sarah as I have no evidence yet that this is correct. Still waiting!:laughing7:

Garry

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
"Robert Morriss... was born in 1778, in the State of Maryland, but removed at an early age with his family, to Loudoun county, Va, where in 1803, he married Miss Sarah Mitchell, a fine looking and accomplished young lady of that county"- 1885 Beale Papers

A search of the Loudoun county Morriss and Mitchell family trees, will reveal several familiar surnames, including Purcell/Pursley.

"The southwest spelled Santa Fe that far Mexican metropolis of the Spanish settlements Pike had reported on; in 1806 he had found there one James Purcell(or Pursley), an American from Kentucky already domiciled"- Col Christopher "Kit" Carson
Due to Purcell showing Zebulon Pike a gold nugget, Purcell has by some, been injected in the Beale story, even though Purcell is never mentioned in the Beale Papers.

With that said, going through all these family trees that may have a connection to the Beale story presented to Ward by this "unknown author" is always a trip down the rabbit hole to the yellow brick road that leads to the lost highway and back to the rabbit hole in a never ending Mobius trip.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I have always wondered about the "great deal of personal property" and the reason behind this conveyance.
Did Morriss also convey personal property to Anzoletta Saunders, his other niece?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I want to focus on the 1860-1863 time period and will expand on some things later but for now it seems clear that Robert Morriss may not have died in Lynchburg at all but died in Bedford County and given the time period may well have been buried there. (The war was in full swing when he died and two of Anzoletta’s sons had enlisted to serve the confederacy.)

The widow Saunders did have two sons still at home during the "2nd year of the Confederate War" when the "unknown author" learned the Beale story from Robert Morriss. The Saunders family had taken in a sickly Uncle Morriss into their home, caring for him during his last days, yet Morriss confided this Beale treasure story ONLY to this "unknown author"?
One must ask why only to this person, and if he was known or related to the Saunders family.
...or if the use of the "unknown author" was merely a literary device ("like everyone else, he was ignorant of this episode in Mr Morriss carreer, until the manuscript was placed in his hands") to protect the copyright agent and publisher from lawsuits arising from the names utilized in the published work.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
From Robert Morriss’ obituary we have the following statement; “DIED – On Saturday, 3d January, 1863, at Roslin, the residence of his niece, Mrs. David Saunders”

This seems to beg the question; “where” or “what” is Roslin?

found this,prob not much help
Roslyn, Albemarle, ca. 1840;
A Guide to the Papers of K. Edward Lay Lay, K. Edward, Papers12817-a

01 Jan 1755
BEDFORD gained from ALBEMARLE and LUNENBURG. (Hening, 6:441-442)
01 Jan 1755
ALBEMARLE lost to BEDFORD.
VA: Individual County Chronologies

Pages | Virginia | Atlas of Historical County Boundaries Project

Dec 12, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Don't have one yet
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The widow Saunders did have two sons still at home during the "2nd year of the Confederate War" when the "unknown author" learned the Beale story from Robert Morriss. The Saunders family had taken in a sickly Uncle Morriss into their home, caring for him during his last days, yet Morriss confided this Beale treasure story ONLY to this "unknown author"?
One must ask why only to this person, and if he was known or related to the Saunders family.
...or if the use of the "unknown author" was merely a literary device ("like everyone else, he was ignorant of this episode in Mr Morriss carreer, until the manuscript was placed in his hands") to protect the copyright agent and publisher from lawsuits arising from the names utilized in the published work.

is there paperwork for the lawsuits or is that just a fictional statement of hopeful opinion?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
"A literary device to protect the copyright agent and publisher..." is NOT a statement claiming there were actual lawsuits.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Garry hope you dont mind, me adding to your research
im sure most of the census info is here somewhere, but
prob wont hurt to add it here too, the 1st piece of info
was found through a link to find a grave from a Robert
Morriss death @ the family search site

sorry for the cut paste,got lazy
-------------------------
found something odd @ Diuguid Funeral Service & Crematory,that
was listed in some of the memorials for Old City Cemetery @ the
find a grave

did Robert Morriss & Sarah Morriss know James B. WARD ?

........Name of Deceased:
Wife of Robert Morriss
Date of Burial:5/13/1861

Account holder typically is the top billed person in the records.
Account holder
Robert Morriss [McCarty]

Typically Diuguid indicated race only when, as he saw it, the decedent
was “colored.” In that case, Diuguid used a “c.” Otherwise, there was
usually no indication of race and the decedent was assumed to be white.
Designated Race: blank

Includes any additional information listed in the records that does not
fit in the other categories on this page.
Diuguid's Notes:
Mrs. Sarah MORRISS; paid by James B. WARD
Diuguid Burial Records | Old City Cemetery | Lynchburg, VA

EDIT sorry forgot the img
http://www.gravegarden.org/diuguid/images/books/04/D04_418.jpg

----------census 1850 & 1830.............
Robert Morriss & wife Sarah Morriss
United States Census, 1850 Lynchburg
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M88T-ZQ4

free white persons
Robert Morriss
United States Census, 1830 Lynchburg
listed on census img
1 male-10-15 yrs of age
2 male-20-30
1 male-50-60
1 female-5-10
2 female-15-20