HUCKLEBERRY

legrand

Jul 28, 2008
[FONT=&quot]huckleberry[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Huckleberry" was commonly used in the 1800's in conjunction with "persimmon" as a small unit of measure. "I'm a huckleberry over your persimmon" meant "I'm just a bit better than you." As a result, "huckleberry" came to denote idiomatically two things. First, it denoted a small unit of measure, a "tad," as it were, and a person who was a huckleberry could be a small, unimportant person--usually expressed ironically in mock self-depreciation. The second and more common usage came to mean, in the words of the "Dictionary of American Slang: Second Supplemented Edition" (Crowell, 1975):

"A man; specif., the exact kind of man needed for a particular purpose. 1936: "Well, I'm your huckleberry, Mr. Haney." Tully, "Bruiser," 37. Since 1880, archaic. [/FONT]

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, I thought it was Finn; as in the Huckleberry Finn; THEN! The Forrest Fenn Treasure Hunt...

Last edited:

tad10

Jun 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I thought it was Finn; as in the Huckleberry Finn; THEN! The Forrest Fenn Treasure Hunt...

I don't remember where Huckleberry is in the Beale Papers and I'm too lazy to look for it but you're probably right. The Beale Papers were written by Mark Twain. There are multiple references to both Huckleberry Finn and Life on the Mississippi - both books that were written at the same time Twain was writing the Beale Papers as well as Tom Sawyer (written before the Beale). I believe PV was aware of this because in both of his books he makes the same mistake relating to Tom Sawyer/Mark Twain - he gives the wrong publication date for Tom Sawyer 1885 instead of 1875.

The Beale Codes numbers are both references to these books (e.g. 317 is a reference to the 7th page of Chapter 31 of Life on the Mississippi) and (in some cases) lon/lat. Twain hid a treasure after writing Tom Sawyer, and since nobody figured it out, I guess he wrote the Beale Papers to help people find that treasure - that's what was hidden at Locust Level though is now probably long gone.

In addition to that treasure, the Beale Papers hide the location of the CSA Richmond Stores, its near Wytheville - up on nearby hills - there's a well in the middle of an empty field that marks the place that's visible from Google Maps that's supposedly the entrance its roughly 1 mile East of 37, 81 (which you'll find in Cipher#3 IIRC) Twain was in CSA intelligence - which you can figure out if you read his various biographies. He got super drunk once in Nevada and told people that one time that he was a 1st Lt in the regular CSA, immediately afterwards he denied that and wrote the BS story of being an irregular.

Anyway, I don't really care too much about the Beale gold or Beale Papers anymore - I've got other fish to fry - but if y'all still are I suggest you acquire some of the cheap first edition replicas of Innocents Abroad, Tom Sawyer, Life on the Miss and Huck Finn - his other books or more or less useful as well (Prince and Pauper and Roughing It especially).

The other thing you need to know if you want to big treasure is that Twain uses a 23-1 Cipher in the Beale and a 37-1 in his books (except for one time he uses a 15-1 Cipher for the reduced version of "A Friend" letter at the end of Huck Finn that is the missing letter referred to in the Papers but nevermind that). Send me a note if you're super interested on how to crack the 23-1 or 37-1 ciphers. This post is long enough and most of you will ignore it.

Break a leg

Trev

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well "said"... I also believe that Mark Twain had "input" into the "Beale Story"; after all, he & his family lived near Lynchburg, then... MT's father was a JUDGE! AND! I am almost certain MT visited kin there; they were WEALTHY!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Well "said"... I also believe that Mark Twain had "input" into the "Beale Story"; after all, he & his family lived near Lynchburg, then... MT's father was a JUDGE! AND! I am almost certain MT visited kin there; they were WEALTHY!
Before Samuel L Clemmons gets passed around as the "unknown author" and accepted as quasi-fact , a good look at his life, his works, and where he lived during various times:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Twain
It is a tad far fetched to believe that Clemmons/Twain delivered the finished Beale manuscript to James Beverly Ward for Ward to copyright as agent and publish for sale only in the Lynchburg market.

tad10

Jun 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before Samuel L Clemmons gets passed around as the "unknown author" and accepted as quasi-fact , a good look at his life, his works, and where he lived during various times:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Twain
It is a tad far fetched to believe that Clemmons/Twain delivered the finished Beale manuscript to James Beverly Ward for Ward to copyright as agent and publish for sale only in the Lynchburg market.

Once more with feeling:

If you take a good look at Twain's life and works you'll find out he spent years working as a typographer in Hannibal and St. Louis so he was more than capable of producing the intricate typographical design that is present throughout TheBP. If you take time to start connecting the dots between his known works and TheBP you'll start to see all the connections and how TheBP codes and phrases reference Twain's known books. Take a look at the reference to 'sans peur et sans....' on page 6 of TheBP, the same phrase is referenced in the first Chapter of Life on the Mississippi (1883) on page 26. Amazing co-incidence. Next take a look at the seventh page of chapter thirty-one of LoM (p.343 you can find the 1st Ed Online at Archive.org) - the heading of which is "A Sure Clue"). Or if you're really ambitious you could apply the 37-1 cipher to the 'A Friend' letter at the end of Huck Finn or the 23-1 Cipher to the corrected 'transcription' of the Beale Code 2 that is in Enigmatist's book.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
If you take the time one can create many different solutions to the Beale ciphers as Bigscoop has pointed out many times, and if you're really ambitious, one can self publish a book and sell it online to the "unwary". :icon_thumright:
There is NO CONNECTION between Samuel L Clemmons and to those in Lynchburg who copyrighted, printed, published, advertised, and sold the 1885 Beale Papers.
Now if you could prove that connection with hard evidence...
...until then, it is another presentation of wishful speculation of the highest order.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... Take a look at the reference to 'sans peur et sans....' on page 6 of TheBP, the same phrase is referenced in the first Chapter of Life on the Mississippi (1883) on page 26. Amazing co-incidence...
"sans peur et sans..." (without fear and without...), yes, really amazing if you have the French edition of both works.
Take "game is worth the candle" and Shakespeare's TWO MEN OF VERONA play. Amazing co-incidence.:laughing7:

tad10

Jun 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"sans peur et sans..." (without fear and without...), yes, really amazing if you have the French edition of both works.
Take "game is worth the candle" and Shakespeare's TWO MEN OF VERONA play. Amazing co-incidence.:laughing7:

I take it you didn't bother to look at Life on the Mississippi or any of other Twain's works. The game is worth the candle is a reference to another of Twain's works where a game is actually played with a candle. I can't remember if it's the Innocents Abroad or A Tramp Abroad and given the reception here its not worth my time to look it up: but I'll guess ATA based on time frame.

Anyway, since the Beale exists because no one figured out the treasure hunt hidden in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, y'all can just go look at Tom Sawyer. The drawing 'Tom's as an Artist' in one of the early chapters depicts Locust Level, the tall man that is supposed to be 'Tom' is the Chimney of the old Inn (feel free to compare the location of the 'tall man' with the Chimney in the actual Locust Level), the XO that is supposed to be Becky is the location of the small treasure chest that Mark Twain hid at Locust Level (right near the tree in the parking area). Whether it is still there after 140 years - who can say. If you fully decipher the text the treasure is supposed to be in the 'invisible line' that connects the West chimney of LL to that Tree (assuming its the same Tree) about 4 feet down in 1880. So whatever that works out to now - easily findable with a metal detector as long as the treasure wasn't picked up by some workman who was replacing pipes in the last 140 years.

Cheers

Last edited:

tad10

Jun 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and this is for Rebel_KGC. With respect to Twain's CSA Service - the Beale also says that there is a hidden vault beneath Champ Ferguson's burial plot in Sparta, Tennessee - that's the 480 reference (480 B.C.) and also why in Innocents Abroad the name of every guide was 'Ferguson' and why Champ Ferguson has another grave entirely in Oklahoma. Though I'd suggest talking with the Sons of the C before you start digging up that Sparta grave.

I can't remember which cipher it is but if you dig through the three ciphers you'll find the rough Lat/Lon for the gravesite/Sparta. Like I said, I've got other fish to fry.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Thanks, "Tad"! MT just visited kin in the area, and his "input" on Treasure "ADVENTURES" heavily "influenced" BPP/"JP"; "franklin" is our "man-on-the-ground" around here and can check "things" (locations) out. BTW, the Clemmons family in the Huddleton, Va. on Smith Mountain Lake Parkway (Rd) in worth looking into; think they donated a "private" lake to the L'burg P & R
Dept. years, ago. NICE place to "hide something"... and go do some "Catch & Release" Fishing... Canadian Geese do "fly-overs" & land... FUN to watch!

Last edited:

tad10

Jun 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, "Tad"! MT just visited kin in the area, and his "input" on Treasure "ADVENTURES" heavily "influenced" BPP/"JP"; "franklin" is our "man-on-the-ground" around here and can check "things" (locations) out.

I hope franklin checks it out - I emailed the owners awhile ago but the letter was returned undelivered and that was that. Anyway, the more interesting dig for me would be Ferguson in Sparta which should have some of Twain's lost CSA-related journals. But that requires money, the Sons of the Confederacy (and local Judge) would only get onboard a dig if (at a minimum could take more) the person wanting to dig agreed to fix up all the other CSA tombs at Spartan cemetery. They are all in deplorable condition (I had photos but lost them when I lost my old computer) and in need of repair - so a dig is probably doable but expensive.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Oh and this is for Rebel_KGC. With respect to Twain's CSA Service - the Beale also says that there is a hidden vault beneath Champ Ferguson's burial plot in Sparta, Tennessee - that's the 480 reference (480 B.C.) and also why in Innocents Abroad the name of every guide was 'Ferguson' and why Champ Ferguson has another grave entirely in Oklahoma. Though I'd suggest talking with the Sons of the C before you start digging up that Sparta grave.

I can't remember which cipher it is but if you dig through the three ciphers you'll find the rough Lat/Lon for the gravesite/Sparta. Like I said, I've got other fish to fry.
Well, the Sons of Confederate Veterans ARE the modern days Sentinels of Rebel "Grave-sites"; was a member, years ago in Appomattox, Va.; NOT "active" now, tho. Lexington, Va. has a VERY active group; NC sent some up to Ch'ville, Va. about a month, ago... some are "White Order Skin-Heads"... sorta Neo-Nazis, which I DO NOT care for.

OP
OP
L

legrand

Jul 28, 2008
I take it you didn't bother to look at Life on the Mississippi or any of other Twain's works. The game is worth the candle is a reference to another of Twain's works where a game is actually played with a candle. I can't remember if it's the Innocents Abroad or A Tramp Abroad and given the reception here its not worth my time to look it up: but I'll guess ATA based on time frame.

Anyway, since the Beale exists because no one figured out the treasure hunt hidden in The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, y'all can just go look at Tom Sawyer. The drawing 'Tom's as an Artist' in one of the early chapters depicts Locust Level, the tall man that is supposed to be 'Tom' is the Chimney of the old Inn (feel free to compare the location of the 'tall man' with the Chimney in the actual Locust Level), the XO that is supposed to be Becky is the location of the small treasure chest that Mark Twain hid at Locust Level (right near the tree in the parking area). Whether it is still there after 140 years - who can say. If you fully decipher the text the treasure is supposed to be in the 'invisible line' that connects the West chimney of LL to that Tree (assuming its the same Tree) about 4 feet down in 1880. So whatever that works out to now - easily findable with a metal detector as long as the treasure wasn't picked up by some workman who was replacing pipes in the last 140 years.

Cheers

Can I PM you?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beale can be anything anybody desires it to be. Whatever floats someone's boat. :thumbsup: I just wouldn't expect any real treasure out of it.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... With respect to Twain's CSA Service ...
Samuel L Clemmons (Mark Twain) did not serve in the Confederacy nor the Union, but was a Union loyalist.
As for Clemens being the "unknown author" of the Beale Papers, one needs to find a direct connection between him and James Beverly Ward who copyrighted the work as agent.
Without the evidence of this connection between the two, while interesting, it is just another speculative theory.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now there are five active claims of "certain solves" in this forum, all of them completely different. This number jumps to 8 or 10 if we go back just a few more months, again, "all of these certain claims completely different."....."all of these claims bearing the same type of speculative evidences but zero provenance." This should make "perfectly clear" to everyone that the Beale papers can be anything anyone desires them to be, all of these various "certain claims" providing said provenance to this cold hard fact. :icon_thumleft::notworthy:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
MORE "Smack-Downs" from the "TAG-TEAM" of the Dangling Duo... (aka "DD"); BOTH from Florida; hmmm... :laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread