Another Theory To Toss On The Ever Growing Pile....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given that everyone else is posting their Beale theories and hypothesis I figured I'd go ahead and share my own theory and hypothesis with you, this having come around after a lot of research into the possibility. Like I said, no actual claim of certain remedy and/or solution here, just another theory and hypothesis to toss onto the already crowded table. So here goes....

I think it's very possible that Thomas J. Beale wrote the Beale Papers and that he and Ward knew each other. Now there are many-many reasons why I feel this scenario is very possible but perhaps none hold more attractiveness then the author's description of Thomas J. Beale, this description having all the earmarks of self-absorbed ego and pride and exaggerated presence. In 1884 Thomas J. Beale of Richmond, the only Thomas J. Beale of record for the entire period, was living just down the road in Jackson Ward. Also, this Thomas J. Beale was also of some measurable importance in his community and city, and he was also a free man of color.

Now it is very doubtful that this Thomas J. Beale wasn't aware of the publication once all of the ads and the publication itself became realities, an large and daily amount of business taking place between the Bedford region and Richmond and no doubt many folks trying to put an accurate identification to the story's Thomas J. Beale after the numerous ads and eventual publication. So read the description of Thomas J. Beale as offered in the narration with all of this in mind. What are the odds that this Thomas J. Beale, the only known Thomas J. Beale, remained oblivious to all of it? Not very likely at all.

But it is just a theory and until the day might come that someone makes connection between Ward and this Thomas J. Beale then it will forever remain as such. But I do believe that this connection may be out there, somewhere? All of the main characters in the narration were real people and all of them were close to home so I fully suspect Thomas J. Beale was too.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Would not have enough people sought him out for information at the time?
Some one named in such a publication would want to put a disclaimer in the local papers after a while in an attempt to reduce interrogations and disassociate themselves from the focus of interest.
Even an attention seeker.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would not have enough people sought him out for information at the time?
Some one named in such a publication would want to put a disclaimer in the local papers after a while in an attempt to reduce interrogations and disassociate themselves from the focus of interest.
Even an attention seeker.

It's just a theory. And we don't know that he wasn't sought out, questioned, etc.? I'm not even sure that he remained in the region after 1884? What we do know is that he had been in the region for quite some time and that he was thought of highly enough in his community to become an alderman in Jackson Ward, this having put him contact with other city leaders and planners,, etc. Could be that this is why he felt as though he was universally known? Just a lot of unknowns, far too many, in fact. :dontknow:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"In person, he was about six feet in height, with jet black eyes and hair of the same color, worn longer than was the style at that time. His form was symmetrical, and gave evidence of unusual strength and activity; but his distinguishing feature was a dark and swarthy complexion, as if much exposure to the sun and weather had thoroughly tanned and discolored him; this, however, did not detract from his appearance, and I thought him the handsomest man I had ever seen. Altogether, he was a model of manly beauty, favored by the ladies and envied by men. To the first he was reverentially tender and polite; to the latter, affable and courteous, when they kept within bounds, but, if they were supercilious or presuming, the lion was aroused, and woe to the man who offended him. Instances of this character occurred more than once while he was my guest, and always resulted in his demanding and receiving an apology. His character soon became universally known, and he was no longer troubled by impertinence."

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was another Thomas J. Beale from the Richmond Area and he lived during the time of the Expedition to Sante Fe. He owned land in Kentucky as did his father Samuel. This would be the Thomas J. Beale if the story actually happened.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Wasn't there a BEALE PLANTATION outside of Richmond, Va. in Chesterfield County, at one time...?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasn't there a BEALE PLANTATION outside of Richmond, Va. in Chesterfield County, at one time...?

Sure was they owned land in Fauquier County, Va. also

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one fits the narration description and given that all the main characters in the narration were real and local I'm betting dollars to doughnuts Ward somehow knew this Thomas J. Beale. And it wouldn't surprise me one bit if this TJB was the unnamed resident at the Morriss establishment referenced in the narration as well. But like I said, just a theory.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem you encounter with your other Beale's is that they are Caucasian males of European decent, which means that they would not have jet black eyes, hair, and a dark and swarthy natural complexion. Note, the author only compares Beale's complexion to someone who had been exposed to the sun, he never says Beale had been exposed to the sun. Also, along this same line, your author references this complexion twice, even elaborating on it during Beale's alleged second visit. The problem here is that Beale's extended stays were in the late winter and spring and "he never lost that complexion" as Caucasian skin would most certainly do. So, according to the author's descriptions, like it or not, TJB had to be a man of "naturally dark skin color." :thumbsup:

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or Indian or Mexican or Portuguese or Spanish. Could be just about anything. The man that stayed with Robert Morriss was Archer Robertson.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick check...

Anyone ever read anything about a town called "Danville" ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also...

I have a digi map of possible interest to some here.
From UofT.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also...

I have a digi map of possible interest to some here.
From UofT.

I am interested. What you got? Did not Thomas J. Beale and his father Samuel Beale own land near there?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa15005.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Errr... wrong one.

But good none the less.

Letme see.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Study will reveal a few "interesting" things.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread