How does one approach a land owner?

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
I have to ask this question, how does one approach a land owner on the possibility of treasure being on their land? I had a one of three possible location for the treasure. I had approached the land owner being very respectful and was received with a request of $100,000.00 to step foot on their property and a demand for at least 3/4 of what I found. I have since then refined my search and it excludes that property, thank the Lord! Need advise!

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to ask this question, how does one approach a land owner on the possibility of treasure being on their land? I had a one of three possible location for the treasure. I had approached the land owner being very respectful and was received with a request of $100,000.00 to step foot on their property and a demand for at least 3/4 of what I found. I have since then refined my search and it excludes that property, thank the Lord! Need advise!

I myself have had this problem more than one time. It seems the truth will not get you very far with landowners. They will believe a lie before they will believe the truth. Sad but I have found it to be the truth.

I have found out in my fifty years of getting on land the secret is not to tell the whole truth. All you want is to search or look the property over. Well first ask if you can do any deer, turkey or squirrel hunting on their farm. Or if not a gun enthusiasts ask them can you look for an old homesite or cemetery. I have found that an old family cemetery is the best approach because it is a State Law that you have access to all family cemeteries. Once on the property you can then look for what you wanted to look for except not with your metal detector. You can get a feel of the land and any marked objects such as rocks or trees you can still look at and take photographs.

If you find enough information to convince you that a treasure may be on this property. First ask to see if you can metal detect for lost rings or coins around some old ruins or homesite you have found. Once on you can bring in larger detectors and check deeper all the while you still have the landowner's confidence. Also when you want to look for jewelry or coins be sure to get the landowner to sign a paper saying you will share in anything valuable found and the percentage usually 50/50. (The landowner may also want you to sign a paper about not being at fault. Just sign it or suggest it to him yourself) Then if you happen to dig up one million in gold at least one half of it is yours to keep.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
I myself have had this problem more than one time. It seems the truth will not get you very far with landowners. They will believe a lie before they will believe the truth. Sad but I have found it to be the truth.

I have found out in my fifty years of getting on land the secret is not to tell the whole truth. All you want is to search or look the property over. Well first ask if you can do any deer, turkey or squirrel hunting on their farm. Or if not a gun enthusiasts ask them can you look for an old homesite or cemetery. I have found that an old family cemetery is the best approach because it is a State Law that you have access to all family cemeteries. Once on the property you can then look for what you wanted to look for except not with your metal detector. You can get a feel of the land and any marked objects such as rocks or trees you can still look at and take photographs.

If you find enough information to convince you that a treasure may be on this property. First ask to see if you can metal detect for lost rings or coins around some old ruins or homesite you have found. Once on you can bring in larger detectors and check deeper all the while you still have the landowner's confidence. Also when you want to look for jewelry or coins be sure to get the landowner to sign a paper saying you will share in anything valuable found and the percentage usually 50/50. (The landowner may also want you to sign a paper about not being at fault. Just sign it or suggest it to him yourself) Then if you happen to dig up one million in gold at least one half of it is yours to keep.

Thanks Franklin, Very good advise!

OP
OP
T

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010

Can you recommend a good Two Box that can hit 6+ feet deep, and preferably min 10 feet deep?

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Excellent advice indeed. I have had landowners ask you to be insured and want to be listed as addition insured on your liability policy. You can get a liability policy through Geico for $30 bucks a month. Tell them you are surface digging not tunneling or they will not insure you at all.

OP
OP
T

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
Excellent advice indeed. I have had landowners ask you to be insured and want to be listed as addition insured on your liability policy. You can get a liability policy through Geico for $30 bucks a month. Tell them you are surface digging not tunneling or they will not insure you at all.

More Great Advise, Thank you trdking!

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you recommend a good Two Box that can hit 6+ feet deep, and preferably min 10 feet deep?

Yes, I have used the White's TM-808, Garrett's Bloodhound Multiplier and the Fisher M-Scope. The White's and the Garrett's go about the same depth------only about four to five feet maximum. The Fisher M-Scope I have found is more reliable with two frequencies and one of them can detect a drain pipe 14 to 18 feet as long as you are not in mineralized soil. And there is plenty of iron ore in Bedford County which makes it difficult to locate a treasure six feet deep. I have found nothing as of today that will discriminate that deep? Still looking.

OP
OP
T

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
Yes, I have used the White's TM-808, Garrett's Bloodhound Multiplier and the Fisher M-Scope. The White's and the Garrett's go about the same depth------only about four to five feet maximum. The Fisher M-Scope I have found is more reliable with two frequencies and one of them can detect a drain pipe 14 to 18 feet as long as you are not in mineralized soil. And there is plenty of iron ore in Bedford County which makes it difficult to locate a treasure six feet deep. I have found nothing as of today that will discriminate that deep? Still looking.

Again, Thank You Franklin for the good advise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread