IN SEARCH OF THE AUTHENTIC ORIGIN OF THE BEALE TREASURE STORY

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry but I have the facts. One day the world will see as I now do if the world last that long.

The "facts" are that James Beverly Ward copyrighted and published the BEALE PAPERS, his cousin, John William Sherman printed the pamphlet and wrote a "grab a shovel" book review of the dime novel, Charles W Button print shop and Lynchburg Virginian newspaper owner stated that Sherman wrote it, and friend and businessman, Max Guggenheimer is mention in the narrative story.
Those are the known and collaborated basic facts.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
True; BPP was a "Hodge-Podge" of "true, authentic events with a few local names "added" in to create a delicious flavor of WEALTH! Men of "Independent Means" PROBABLY were "drawn" WEST... to buy land, create communities, families, too. Then they went FURTHER West ("Cally"), looking for Beach Babes & Bunnies... heh.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It is that ""Hodge-Podge" of true, authentic events with a few local names" that lures belief that keeps drawing in hopefuls for 130+ years, thinking just maybe...

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... James Beverly Ward lost Hunter's Hill Plantation in 1870 over debts he owed totaling over eight thousand dollars. All of his lands, his two saw mills, slaves, furniture and farm equipment was not enough to compensate for the amount owed
He needed money as he and his family were staying with his daughter at her home in Lynchburg.
JBW was a surveyor after that to make a living. He most likely felt he could write a good treasure story.
There have been many theories concerning the Beale perilous adventure treasure story posted on these threads- be it a Reavis forgery, KGC, Confederate treasury, stolen Spanish gold, Lafitte, etc- what ALL these various theories lack is a direct connection to the person that copyrighted and published THE BEALE PAPERS dime novel pamphlet- JAMES BEVERLY WARD.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, I'm gonna throw ya ANOTHER "Mystery" from Forest, Va. for YOU to "figure"... pondering; the WHITE BRICK HOUSE of Forest, Va.! WHITE Plantation house, with a HUGE "spread" originally. Supposedly a TJ to daughter "gift", I think it was the MAIN House of JB Risque, then... "JB" Ward & wife's "spread"; "JB" Ward's wife was JB Risque's GRAND-DAUGHTER... HA! It is behind Sheetz's in Forest, Va. AND! In the BPP, Ward alluded to traveling 7 miles from Forest, Va. to go to their church in L'burg, Va.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Thomas Jefferson gave daughter, Martha, ASHWOOD MANOR in 1790 upon her marriage to Thomas Mann Randolph.
TJ's granddaughter, Anne, received a portion in 1811, upon her marriage to Charles Lewis Bankhead.
JB Risqué connection?
JB Ward was JB Risque's grandson.
JB Ward's wife was Harriet Emmaline Otey, raised 4 miles from Bufords.
What am I missing from your reference in the above post?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
White Brick Plantation House still stands; NO record that it was Ashwood Manor. MORE likely to be where "JB" Ward & family lived after "JB"'s mother inherited from HER father, James Beverly Risque; he had a PLANTATION/FARM in the area. Then "JB" Ward & HIS wife had it handed down to THEM. THEY lived in Forest, Va., having 6 miles or so to travel to their church in Lynchburg, Va., as they had to travel FOREST ROAD to L'burg; it becomes OLD Forest Road as you get closer to downtown L'burg, Va., where their church was.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... BPP was a "Hodge-Podge" of "true, authentic events with a few local names "added" in to create a delicious flavor of WEALTH! ...
...and with all the various proposed theories presented on these TN Beale threads, it always reverts back to James Beverly Ward as the origin of the perilous adventure treasure tale.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White Brick Plantation House still stands; NO record that it was Ashwood Manor. MORE likely to be where "JB" Ward & family lived after "JB"'s mother inherited from HER father, James Beverly Risque; he had a PLANTATION/FARM in the area. Then "JB" Ward & HIS wife had it handed down to THEM. THEY lived in Forest, Va., having 6 miles or so to travel to their church in Lynchburg, Va., as they had to travel FOREST ROAD to L'burg; it becomes OLD Forest Road as you get closer to downtown L'burg, Va., where their church was.

The James Beverly Risque home stood until the early 1960's. It is not there today. They concealed a way to still locate the house by using the landscape and countryside. Why would anyone encode where the house once stood. Maybe the treasure is actually at Risque or Ward's Homesite. Usually the Quartermasters was the men that concealed the treasures for the CSA Government and Ward was a Quartermaster. You would not believe how this home-site has been hidden, yet it can still be found.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, yes I found the boundaries of the JBR Plantation and property. I have an aerial view of the house and the farmlands. I know where the house once stood and where the family cemetery was located. But as for the treasure it may be six feet below the surface of the ground? Who really knows for sure?

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The James Beverly Risque home stood until the early 1960's. It is not there today.
They concealed a way to still locate the house by using the landscape and countryside.
Why would anyone encode where the house once stood. Maybe the treasure is actually at Risque or Ward's Homesite.
Usually the Quartermasters was the men that concealed the treasures for the CSA Government and Ward was a Quartermaster. You would not believe how this home-site has been hidden, yet it can still be found.
Who concealed the location of the Risqué/Ward home site and why?
If CSA Quartermaster Ward "concealed the treasure" was it during the "2nd year of the Confederate War", and if so, it could be the Beale treasure of the perilous adventure 40 years before the Confederate War.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, yes I found the boundaries of the JBR Plantation and property. I have an aerial view of the house and the farmlands. I know where the house once stood and where the family cemetery was located. But as for the treasure it may be six feet below the surface of the ground? Who really knows for sure?
DO TELL! I wanna see!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread