Having Fun Again

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
Hi Garry,

That has been a search of Rebel KGC and I for twenty years or more. It is difficult to find this plantation. The Historical Society has list of all cemeteries even private family cemeteries and you can find all of them listed on the Internet. Yet, Hunter's Hill Cemetery is not among this list. Hunter's Hill was sold by court order in 1870 to 1872. There were two purchasers one being a judge with ties to Campbell County, Pittsylvania and Henry Counties. He was also a judge in Danville, Va during the Civil War when the Confederate Treasury was shipped and buried. Where Hunter's Hill is located there is rumors of a CSA Treasure being buried of $5 Million Dollars in a well with an Acadia Tree planted over the Well. Rebel KGC is familiar with that legend also. I am still tracking down the two purchasers of this property but I am not finding anything as I mentioned before the records at the Rustburg, Va., Campbell County's Land Office is a MESS to find any information is almost impossible. But I will continue looking. You can download a website of the Campbell County Records for about $50. a month. In the long run I should have paid for the website as I have made at least fifty trips to their office and the drive is over 240 miles round trip. We will continue looking and maybe some day we will find the cemetery and just maybe Robert Morriss and Sarah his wife are buried there also. You most likely should look in Bedford County newspapers to see what they may have. I have found a few receipts but no address.

P.S. James Beverly Ward's daughter did get 7 acres of this plantation and maybe the cemetery is located on her property?

Thanks! What was James Beverly Ward's daughters name?

Garry

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! What was James Beverly Ward's daughters name?

Garry

Her name was Ella. That was research I did about two months ago. I can not remember to whom she married. The best place to research is a webpage that "Old Silver" gave us before he left "Virginia Chancery Records" I have been going through old court records for the past two or three months. Great website.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
ONE "clue" that I have is DREAMING CREEK (as a border); it is within sight of Sandusky, home of the Huttter Family (grand-sons of James Beverly Risque). It "connects" to Old Graves Mill Road... James Beverly Risque, himself (a War of 1812 Vet) is buried at the Presbyterian Grave yard on 2nd Street, L'burg, with other War of 1812 Vets; it is behind the grave-site of Maj. E.F. Hutter. May go there and do a seance after dark on Halloween, dunno. Will leave da wife at home... SHE can handle the kids, dressed up as ZOMBIES! :laughing7:

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Her name was Ella. That was research I did about two months ago. I can not remember to whom she married...
Ella Risqué Ward, born in 1844 was the oldest of James Beverly and Harriet Emmaline Otey Ward's daughters.
I haven't been able to find who she married.
Adeline Virginia Ward, born 1846, married McVeigh, and was interviewed by Martha Rivers Adams in the 1930's for an article for the LYNCHBURG NEWS.
Anne Morris Ward, born 1853, married William D Johns, who worked at ADAMS BROS & PAYNES, and supplied the letterhead stationary that Ward used to apply for copyright for the BEALE PAPERS.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Garry,

That has been a search of Rebel KGC and I for twenty years or more. It is difficult to find this plantation. The Historical Society has list of all cemeteries even private family cemeteries and you can find all of them listed on the Internet. Yet, Hunter's Hill Cemetery is not among this list. Hunter's Hill was sold by court order in 1870 to 1872. There were two purchasers one being a judge with ties to Campbell County, Pittsylvania and Henry Counties. He was also a judge in Danville, Va during the Civil War when the Confederate Treasury was shipped and buried. Where Hunter's Hill is located there is rumors of a CSA Treasure being buried of $5 Million Dollars in a well with an Acadia Tree planted over the Well. Rebel KGC is familiar with that legend also. I am still tracking down the two purchasers of this property but I am not finding anything as I mentioned before the records at the Rustburg, Va., Campbell County's Land Office is a MESS to find any information is almost impossible. But I will continue looking. You can download a website of the Campbell County Records for about $50. a month. In the long run I should have paid for the website as I have made at least fifty trips to their office and the drive is over 240 miles round trip. We will continue looking and maybe some day we will find the cemetery and just maybe Robert Morriss and Sarah his wife are buried there also. You most likely should look in Bedford County newspapers to see what they may have. I have found a few receipts but no address.

P.S. James Beverly Ward's daughter did get 7 acres of this plantation and maybe the cemetery is located on her property?

Garry, Sorry but I was wrong about the seven acres. His daughter did not get the land. It was "Eliza Bennett" or "Eliza Burnett"? Could be spelled either way by the handwriting. The land was 7 acres 1 rod and 7 poles. She bought the land in 1847. So the cemetery must be on the 35 acres owned by James Beverly Risque's daughter Adeline Ward. Now to find out where that is located is not going to be easy.

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
Garry, Sorry but I was wrong about the seven acres. His daughter did not get the land. It was "Eliza Bennett" or "Eliza Burnett"? Could be spelled either way by the handwriting. The land was 7 acres 1 rod and 7 poles. She bought the land in 1847. So the cemetery must be on the 35 acres owned by James Beverly Risque's daughter Adeline Ward. Now to find out where that is located is not going to be easy.

Very interesting!! This makes a lot of sense.

It appears from the census and other information that Adeline married Thomas Emory McVeigh in 1869 and they show up living with her father, James Beverly Ward, in the 1870, 1880 and 1900 census.

Thomas and Adeline McVeigh shared the home at Hunter's Hill, with James Beverly Ward for over 30 years.

In fact Thomas E. Emory was the Census Enumerator for a portion of the Brookville Magisterial District in Cambell County where Hunter's Hill was located. He recorded the Cenesu in 1880 and 1900 and he also recorded the Mortality Schedule in 1880. Emory listed his Occupation in 1870 as a Clerk and in 1880 as a School Teacher and finally a Farmer in 1900.

Maybe it was Emory who co-authored the Beale Pamphlet with James Ward? Opportunity, ability, connection.
:)(It seems to me that he may be as good a candidate as John William Sherman) But this is all speculation and nothing to set down as fact either way. BTW, I did like Greeves' Sherman connection but it is certainly nothing I would take to the bank as FACT.

Franklin, You obviously have access to a lot of deeds and I can understand any reluctance you may have about sharing your hard earned research before you have completed your analysis. So please ignore these questions if you are uncomfortable!

The deed identifying Adeline and the 35 acres; Is it a deed selling or is it the deed she obtained the property with? Or both? Also can you date the deeds?

Thanks,

Garry

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting!! This makes a lot of sense.

It appears from the census and other information that Adeline married Thomas Emory McVeigh in 1869 and they show up living with her father, James Beverly Ward, in the 1870, 1880 and 1900 census.

Thomas and Adeline McVeigh shared the home at Hunter's Hill, with James Beverly Ward for over 30 years.

In fact Thomas E. Emory was the Census Enumerator for a portion of the Brookville Magisterial District in Cambell County where Hunter's Hill was located. He recorded the Cenesu in 1880 and 1900 and he also recorded the Mortality Schedule in 1880. Emory listed his Occupation in 1870 as a Clerk and in 1880 as a School Teacher and finally a Farmer in 1900.

Maybe it was Emory who co-authored the Beale Pamphlet with James Ward? Opportunity, ability, connection.
:)(It seems to me that he may be as good a candidate as John William Sherman) But this is all speculation and nothing to set down as fact either way. BTW, I did like Greeves' Sherman connection but it is certainly nothing I would take to the bank as FACT.

Franklin, You obviously have access to a lot of deeds and I can understand any reluctance you may have about sharing your hard earned research before you have completed your analysis. So please ignore these questions if you are uncomfortable!

The deed identifying Adeline and the 35 acres; Is it a deed selling or is it the deed she obtained the property with? Or both? Also can you date the deeds?

Thanks,

Garry

It is hard to explain when it comes to deeds. I have seen a landowner give a trust deed to someone else, the person with the trust deed sells land or lots to six different families and then if the trust deed owner never gets a "full deed of conveyance" then the purchasers lose their land and improvements. Don't understand deeds.

The land deeds of James Beverly Ward are very complex and I mean very complex. When he was sued over notes or debts the Clerks of the Court could not even furnish deeds or how much land he owned only taxes he paid. I have seen where the land was owned upwards of 35 years from purchases and still the deed was stopped and they did not own the land they had lived on for 35 years. I have seen purchasers of property of James Beverly Ward when he came down to finding their court records all of the court files were missing. There was only a note saying the records had been removed with authority and they would return the files. No files were returned. File empty.

James Beverly Ward made out deeds in 1849 that were later nullified by the courts in 1870, twenty-one years later. He sold land in 1847 and in 1860 and he sold to two different landowners in 1849. One could not come up with the payments or notes and it was sold to another purchasers.

I wish I could answer your questions but there is no answer. The 35 acres was sold off with another larger track and then there was another larger track with two smaller tracks. Which is the good deeds? And which are legitimate deeds I do not know. It is not easy to find anything with Campbell County Court Records, they are the worst I have ever encountered. Records kept back in the late 1790's to early 1800's in other counties have kept better records. It really makes the process of elimination impossible. I have even researched their neighbors tracks of land hoping to find where this land is located but no good either.

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
Ella Risqué Ward, born in 1844 was the oldest of James Beverly and Harriet Emmaline Otey Ward's daughters.
I haven't been able to find who she married.
Adeline Virginia Ward, born 1846, married McVeigh, and was interviewed by Martha Rivers Adams in the 1930's for an article for the LYNCHBURG NEWS.
Anne Morris Ward, born 1853, married William D Johns, who worked at ADAMS BROS & PAYNES, and supplied the letterhead stationary that Ward used to apply for copyright for the BEALE PAPERS.

I believe Ellla married Allanson N. Caulkins. Ella shows up in Florida in the 1880 census. It seems at least 5 of Ward's children left Lynchburg fairly early.

The quick and dirty way of dealing with the children of James Beverly Ward is to use his obituary. It names all 8 of his living children. Four children are living in Florida, One is in Tenness and the remaining three are in Lynchburg. The two daughters you mentioned and a son Charles Bell Ward. I believe the Obit has been posted here previously but if not or it is difficult to find, I can repost it here if there is any interest.

One other comment; I'm going from memory but I believe the Hart brothers contacted Ward about 1903 and his son was present. That would seem to be Charles Bell Ward but I have my reservations and believe it is more likely that this was his son-in-law Thomas McVeigh. All the census, directories and the obituary seem to put Ward with his son-in-laws family until his death in 1907. The sources for Charles Bell don't hint that Ward ever lived with him.:icon_scratch:

Thomas McVeigh begns showing up in the Lynchburg City directories in 1907. [105 Harrison] (I didn't make a very in depth search and there might be an earlier directory?] We know they were there living at 105 Harrison by 1907 from the Obit. Perhaps this is about the time they moved from Hunter's Hill to town?

Glad to see you are still involved in researching, Maybe there's no gold but it's still a fascinating story that has caputured the imagination of many!

Garry

P. S. I screwed up again. I reread the Hart papers and it was Charles Bell Ward who was present when Clayton Hart visitd in 1903. He identified the son as a Mail Transfer Cleck and that was Charles Bell Ward, not Mcveigh.

Last edited:
OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, all of your information is correct. There is another thing or two you should know. The house at 105 Harrison Street. James Beverly Ward died there as you stated. Charles Bell Ward died there. And Thomas Ward which was Charles Bell Ward's son, he died there also. Are you sure about Ella marrying Allanson N. Caulkins? I can find nothing on her or whatever happened to her. When did they show up in Florida?

I have not seen the Obit. I have seen the cemetery records.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Alanson N Caulking and Ella Risqué Ward Caulking are listed in the Santa Rosa county Deed Books A 1869-1873/ page 643-644.
Santa Rosa county is located in Florida's western panhandle, and was created in 1842.
NOTE: James Beverly Risqué was with Gen Andrew Jackson on his Florida campaign in Spanish Florida that led to the Adams-Onis Treaty. Andrew Jackson became the first governor of Florida, Risqué hosted a banquet in Lynchburg for Jackson, Rev Clays gave the benediction, and Pascal Buford was also in attendance.
James Beverly Risqué applied for a position in the Florida government, but never received it.

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
Yes, all of your information is correct. There is another thing or two you should know. The house at 105 Harrison Street. James Beverly Ward died there as you stated. Charles Bell Ward died there. And Thomas Ward which was Charles Bell Ward's son, he died there also. Are you sure about Ella marrying Allanson N. Caulkins? I can find nothing on her or whatever happened to her. When did they show up in Florida?

I have not seen the Obit. I have seen the cemetery records.

Franklin,

James Beverly Ward and Harriet Otey had nine children and 8 are accounted for in the Obituary. A son James Beverly Ward died in 1856 of an accidental gun shot wound. Maybe you and ECS can sort them our from the obit.

It isn't easy and I need to review what I have so I'm not messing something up once again.:tongue3:

Lynchburg News – May 17, 1907, Page 6, Column 6

Obituary - James Beverly Ward.jpg

Below is a link on Findagrave for Ella and Alanson

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=25097334&ref=acom

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=25097333&ref=acom

Her husband Allanson N. sometimes shows up as Noble Caulkins.

They show up in the 1880 census in Santa Rosa County, Flordia. (I'm not sure if they were there much earlier)

I'll get back and we can all compare what we have each come up with regarding the details of James & Harriet Ward's family.

Right now I have Annie Morris Ward married to Frank Johnson and Julia Herbert Ward married to William Dudley Johns. :icon_scratch::icon_scratch:

Garry

Last edited:
OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There should be an obituary of Robert Morriss in the Bedford Newspapers but I have not found any? Since Robert Morriss died in Bedford County and not in Lynchburg, Va.

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
Probably not much of additional interest here, but I wanted to post the other complete articles that I referenced ealier in this thread related to James Beverly Ward's death.

Lynchburg News — May 18, 1907, Page 6, Column 7

Funeral - James Beverly Ward.jpg

Lynchburg News — June 2, 1907, Page 2, Column 4

Memorial - James Beverly Ward.jpg

Garry

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

James Beverly Ward and Harriet Otey had nine children and 8 are accounted for in the Obituary. A son James Beverly Ward died in 1856 of an accidental gun shot wound...
James Beverly Ward and Harriet Emmaline Otey Ward had 11 children, listed in order of birth"
James Beverly
Ella Risqué
Adeline Virginia
John Gordon
Ferinand Kennerly
Annie Morris
Julia Herbert
Charles Bell
William Goggin
Otey Beverly
Mary Beverly

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
James Beverly Ward and Harriet Emmaline Otey Ward had 11 children, listed in order of birth"
James Beverly
Ella Risqué
Adeline Virginia
John Gordon
Ferinand Kennerly
Annie Morris
Julia Herbert
Charles Bell
William Goggin
Otey Beverly
Mary Beverly

ECS,

I was able to find your information although I’m not sure it was from the same source?

A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America with Records of a Number of Allied Families by Marcus Bainbridge Buford, Page 136, 137 and 138. Published in 1903.

Marcus added two children, I didn’t have, whom he indicates died young, Ferdinand Kennerly Ward and May Beverly Ward. Although I am loathe to blindly accept information in a family tree, but in this case, the last generations were still living when he gathered the information. The only hiccup I have is that he names James Beverly Ward’s wife as both Harriet C. and Harriet O. We have her as Harriet Emuline.:icon_scratch:

I went ahead and added the two children along with a couple of wives and also a couple of marriage dates to my Beale Searcher’s Tree. I think everything else that I had was pretty much in agreement with his information.

Thanks,

Garry

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
My wife and I just returned from a trip back east that included Virginia. We spent about a week between Roanoke and Richmond and I did cajole her into some research in the area. Libraries, Courthouses, etc.

With some clues that Rebel posted, we were also able to find a map that hints at the Beale Treasure location.

P1020006.jpg

We didn’t find the Beale Treasure but you know gold is where you find it and we were able to locate some shown below.

P1020007.jpg

Garry and Carol

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lincoln created an income tax to pay for the War in 1862 but it was repealed in 1872.
The Beale Papers were copyrighted in 1864 and published in 1865.
Congress reenacted an income tax in 1894, but the Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional.
In 1913, income tax was passed again, this time with the IRS for collection.

Franklin, when did these events that you mention that are connected to the Beale Papers occur?

you mean Beale was copyrighted in 1884 and published in 1885?

just wondering when you think these events occurred?

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just today I found a real connection of the Beale Treasure to the Confederate Treasury. Really weird. I have found land transactions where someone paid $4500. for a house and property and then turned in the same day and made out a Trust Deed for $1. A person of interest that purchased one half the property of James B. Ward's Hunter's Hill Plantation had whole files missing from court records. Then I found out why they were missing. This is a continuing search and I am once again having fun trying to solve this mystery.

A landowner is hiding out from the IRS for taxes in Virginia and is then working for the IRS in Washington City. The trustee is taking care of his family and he writes letters to him like they are Knight's of the Golden Circle. He buys their groceries, clothes and even pays their bills sometimes with his own money. The rich families of Danville, Virginia are all involved. Then there are judges and even US Supreme Court is involved. Fights over a half acre of land with three bankers from Richmond purchasing one half right through the center of a Church and again the rich families of Danville are trustees to the church and it is a black fellowship church. Why would a bond of $10000 have to be put in place for such a small location. Again the trustee is involved. It all just keeps unraveling and I am wide eyed reading it. I love a mystery.

I was reading up on a person that claimed to have solved the Beale out towards Danville where they claimed it was off the trail near a creek up that way.....in a canyon to the east of the river.....

Its interesting that you show there is some juggling about properties there and that there is some finagling going on still to this day over a property that was made into a non-entity from the missing records......

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as the gold and silver in Danville, Va. I know where all of it is located but it can not be dug up. It is in three different locations. I have the compass readings and the distance, also the depth to two of the gold caches. I have the location of the silver Mexican Dollars also but only the location and depth, no compass readings or distance needed.

But as for the Beale Treasure, I have not figured out whether it leads to a real treasure or was a diversion away from the real treasures. However there is a Buford's in Danville that leads to a large under-ground vault but I do not know what is buried in it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread