Primary Interest:
Other

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
...Since Max Guggenheiner, Esq. was still living in Lynchburg, Va and the only name mentioned that did live in Lynchburg, Va at the time of the publication and it being in the newspapers daily---------would not you think that Max was in on the profits from the story? He would have had to know about it, I mean the story ran daily in the newspapers for over eighty days...
Not sure about sharing in any profits, but he also advertised in the LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN, knew Ward, Sherman, the Hutters, and Charles W Button owner of that newspaper (Button claimed that his sub-editor Sherman was the author of the Beale Papers), and had copies for sale at his store.
He most definitely had to have inside knowledge concerning the Beale story being included as name dropped "dressing" for believability in the narrative text.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read something similar but not exact words? Do you have a link to that being said by Charles Button?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Article in the NEWS & ADVANCE, April 18,2015 by Joe Stinnett mentions that remark by Charles W Button.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
TRUE; about a Sub-Editor (John William Sherman) writing the BPP; I "posted" the "addy" of the article before, HOWEVER! NOTHING in the 1887 book, SKETCHBOOK OF LYNCHBURG: A Story As Told In 1887 by Edward Pollock re. BPP being for sale, then. Hmmm...

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting. One would think that if THE BEALE PAPERS was a real treasure story, it would have been mentioned in SKETCHBOOK OF LYNCHBURG, which was printed by the VIRGINIA JOB PRINTING HOUSE of Lynchburg.
Wasn't this the same printing company that printed the Beale Papers that was associated with Button's LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN newspaper?

HISTORIC SKETCH OF BEDFORD COUNTY was written by Rowland D Buford (son of Pascal Buford of Beale's Buford Inn) and N D Hawkins.
There is NO mention of Thomas J Beale or the Beale Papers in this work.
Rowland D Buford was the Bedford County Clerk for many years, and knew James Beverly Ward and Ward's wife Harriet, who was a cousin that was raised "4 miles from Bufords".

"and to a great extent the Buford children (Rowland, Margaret, Ann) were responsible for the pamphlet being withdrawn from further sale shortly after its distribution in April, 1885"-ONE LETTER, ONE ENCLOSURE

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Interesting. One would think that if THE BEALE PAPERS was a real treasure story, it would have been mentioned in SKETCHBOOK OF LYNCHBURG, which was printed by the VIRGINIA JOB PRINTING HOUSE of Lynchburg.
Wasn't this the same printing company that printed the Beale Papers that was associated with Button's LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN newspaper?

HISTORIC SKETCH OF BEDFORD COUNTY was written by Rowland D Buford (son of Pascal Buford of Beale's Buford Inn) and N D Hawkins.
There is NO mention of Thomas J Beale or the Beale Papers in this work.
Rowland D Buford was the Bedford County Clerk for many years, and knew James Beverly Ward and Ward's wife Harriet, who was a cousin that was raised "4 miles from Bufords".

"and to a great extent the Buford children (Rowland, Margaret, Ann) were responsible for the pamphlet being withdrawn from further sale shortly after its distribution in April, 1865"-ONE LETTER, ONE ENCLOSURE
LOL! It HAD to be 1885!

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't seem like the Virginia State Archaeologist is ever going to get permission for us to find the Ward Cemetery?

I am throwing this out there just for good measure. "ROSLIN" I can not help thinking this may have something to do with Rosalyn Chapel and the Knight's Templar. I can make a connection between Robert Morriss and Rosalyn Chapel. Could the "Ark of the Covenant of God" be in Lynchburg or Bedford County new Buford's. It is the most beautiful laying ground of Earth I have ever seen in Virginia or anywhere else. I guess that is why treasure hunters are drawn to the Goose Creek Valley?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... NOTHING in the 1887 book, SKETCHBOOK OF LYNCHBURG: A Story As Told In 1887 by Edward Pollock re. BPP being for sale, then...
...and nothing about Beale or the Beale Papers in Rowland Buford and N D Hawkins SKETCHES OF BEDFORD COUNTY.

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
Doesn't seem like the Virginia State Archaeologist is ever going to get permission for us to find the Ward Cemetery?

Frankilin,

Keep up the good work on both Roslin and Hunter's Hill. While it maybe Ho-Hum for some, it is very exciting for me.

I'm sure you are in for a long and sometimes frustrating journey.

I worked with a state archealogist in Illinois on an old ancestoral burying ground. The big advantage we had was, that the cemetery was on state park land. The Historical Society had published a book in 1970 that located the cemetery and listed a few graves. At that time some tombstones were on a nearby farm being used for stepping stones. When we visited the property owner, (this was before the State purchaced the land) he took us out to a hill overlooking a creek. It was a pasture we were sharing with his cattle. We only found one small footstone with two initials on it.

Long, long story. The park supt got the state archealogist involved and the county historical society and it all worked out beautifully. There were hickups along the way and it did take 3 or 4 years to complete the restoration.

I don't know anything about dectectors or dowsing but one of the gentlemen in the society went out and dowsed the area and put flags where he thought graves might exist. He probably had a hundred flags inserted. The state archealogist wasn't impressed.:)

The only thing I have ever used in trying to locate tombstones is a 3/8 inch diamerer rod about 40 inches long with a T handle welded on one end with the other end being sharpened modestly. Too sharp and when you continually strike rock it won't hold a point. The probing is basically nondestructive and you can almost outline the shape of a stone laying flat under the ground. The stones are typically 6 inches or less below the surface and flat. Of course the destructive part is when you want to dig something up.

I don't know whether the property owner would be OK with this type of operation but otherwise I suspect you may be in for a long wait!

Garry

Last edited:

Bumbalawski

Mar 2, 2015
Beans Cove Pa.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a similar rod when I am in the field looking for caves. I made mine from 1/2" rebar and six feet long. It holds a point very well. I call it "Mr. T".

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a similar rod when I am in the field looking for caves. I made mine from 1/2" rebar and six feet long. It holds a point very well. I call it "Mr. T".

I have two probes: One is about three feet long and 3/8 inch and the other is 7 feet long 1/2 with twist handle and a flat 2 in. for pounding in the ground. The twist handles help to pull it back out.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankilin,

Keep up the good work on both Roslin and Hunter's Hill. While it maybe Ho-Hum for some, it is very exciting for me.

I'm sure you are in for a long and sometimes frustrating journey.

I worked with a state archealogist in Illinois on an old ancestoral burying ground. The big advantage we had was, that the cemetery was on state park land. The Historical Society had published a book in 1970 that located the cemetery and listed a few graves. At that time some tombstones were on a nearby farm being used for stepping stones. When we visited the property owner, (this was before the State purchaced the land) he took us out to a hill overlooking a creek. It was a pasture we were sharing with his cattle. We only found one small footstone with two initials on it.

Long, long story. The park supt got the state archealogist involved and the county historical society and it all worked out beautifully. There were hickups along the way and it did take 3 or 4 years to complete the restoration.

I don't know anything about dectectors or dowsing but one of the gentlemen in the society went out and dowsed the area and put flags where he thought graves might exist. He probably had a hundred flags inserted. The state archealogist wasn't impressed.:)

The only thing I have ever used in trying to locate tombstones is a 3/8 inch diamerer rod about 40 inches long with a T handle welded on one end with the other end being sharpened modestly. Too sharp and when you continually strike rock it won't hold a point. The probing is basically nondestructive and you can almost outline the shape of a stone laying flat under the ground. The stones are typically 6 inches or less below the surface and flat. Of course the destructive part is when you want to dig something up.

I don't know whether the property owner would be OK with this type of operation but otherwise I suspect you may be in for a long wait!

Garry

Hi Garry,

Appreciate all your expertise, research and help all along the way. I have some information that is crippling to the Beale Papers Story as being authentic.

As the story goes, the author got all his information from Robert Morriss while visiting him in his room. The author must not have heard very well or either he did not take very good notes.

He claims Robert Morriss the custodian of the Beale Papers was born in Maryland in 1778 and removed at a very early age to Loudoun County where he married Sarah Mitchell in 1803.

1. Robert Morriss was not born in Maryland but was born in Loudoun County, Virginia. His father had lived there since 1747. Ten years later his home was in Loudoun County as Loudoun County was formed from Fairfax County in 1757.
2. Robert Morriss could not have been born in 1778. When Robert Morriss died at the home of his niece Mrs. David Saunders, his obituary states he was 86 years old. Now you subtract 86 from 01-03-1863, you will come up with Robert Morriss most likely being born in 1776 or in the first three days of January, 1777.
3. Robert Morriss was handling his father's estate, receipts, bills in 1792. Now if he was 16 and born in 1776 this would make a lot of sense. But if he was born in 1778 and was only 14, this would not be recommended as common sense.
4. Then you get the decipherment of C2 in the Job Print Pamphlet. The author clearly did not write down his decipherment correctly when the author wrote "thousands" instead of "hundreds"
5. Then the miscount at "480" in the numbering of the DOI clearly shows the author fabricated C2 and came up with 76 letters on the "button" that the author clearly should have been off by a count of '10'
6. The author makes the mistake in the story saying he numbered the sheets according to length. Yet when he says he deciphered C2, there he finds that the treasure's location is given in C1 and the names of all his associates, their benefactors and their addresses are listed in C3.

There are more mistakes made by the author that clearly show the Beale Treasure Story is nothing but the fabrication of the author's mind. NO TREASURE HERE

Last edited:

legrand

Jul 28, 2008
Hi Garry,

Appreciate all your expertise, research and help all along the way. I have some information that is crippling to the Beale Papers Story as being authentic.

As the story goes, the author got all his information from Robert Morriss while visiting him in his room. The author must not have heard very well or either he did not take very good notes.

He claims Robert Morriss the custodian of the Beale Papers was born in Maryland in 1778 and removed at a very early age to Loudoun County where he married Sarah Mitchell in 1803.

1. Robert Morriss was not born in Maryland but was born in Loudoun County, Virginia. His father had lived there since 1747. Ten years later his home was in Loudoun County as Loudoun County was formed from Fairfax County in 1757.
2. Robert Morriss could not have been born in 1778. When Robert Morriss died at the home of his niece Mrs. David Saunders, his obituary states he was 86 years old. Now you subtract 86 from 01-03-1863, you will come up with Robert Morriss most likely being born in 1776 or in the first three days of January, 1777.
3. Robert Morriss was handling his father's estate, receipts, bills in 1792. Now if he was 16 and born in 1776 this would make a lot of sense. But if he was born in 1778 and was only 14, this would not be recommended as common sense.
4. Then you get the decipherment of C2 in the Job Print Pamphlet. The author clearly did not write down his decipherment correctly when the author wrote "thousands" instead of "hundreds"
5. Then the miscount at "480" in the numbering of the DOI clearly shows the author fabricated C2 and came up with 76 letters on the "button" that the author clearly should have been off by a count of '10'
6. The author makes the mistake in the story saying he numbered the sheets according to length. Yet when he says he deciphered C2, there he finds that the treasure's location is given in C1 and the names of all his associates, their benefactors and their addresses are listed in C3.

There are more mistakes made by the author that clearly show the Beale Treasure Story is nothing but the fabrication of the author's mind. NO TREASURE HERE

All mistakes may have been purposeful...

This is just wrong: NO TREASURE HERE

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All mistakes may have been purposeful...

This is just wrong: NO TREASURE HERE

Legrand, When you have some constructed information to share come back in about ten years and let us hear about it. Patience. I can wait ten years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions