Having Fun Again

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just today I found a real connection of the Beale Treasure to the Confederate Treasury. Really weird. I have found land transactions where someone paid $4500. for a house and property and then turned in the same day and made out a Trust Deed for $1. A person of interest that purchased one half the property of James B. Ward's Hunter's Hill Plantation had whole files missing from court records. Then I found out why they were missing. This is a continuing search and I am once again having fun trying to solve this mystery.

A landowner is hiding out from the IRS for taxes in Virginia and is then working for the IRS in Washington City. The trustee is taking care of his family and he writes letters to him like they are Knight's of the Golden Circle. He buys their groceries, clothes and even pays their bills sometimes with his own money. The rich families of Danville, Virginia are all involved. Then there are judges and even US Supreme Court is involved. Fights over a half acre of land with three bankers from Richmond purchasing one half right through the center of a Church and again the rich families of Danville are trustees to the church and it is a black fellowship church. Why would a bond of $10000 have to be put in place for such a small location. Again the trustee is involved. It all just keeps unraveling and I am wide eyed reading it. I love a mystery.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Lincoln created an income tax to pay for the War in 1862 but it was repealed in 1872.
The Beale Papers were copyrighted in 1864 and published in 1865.
Congress reenacted an income tax in 1894, but the Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional.
In 1913, income tax was passed again, this time with the IRS for collection.

Franklin, when did these events that you mention that are connected to the Beale Papers occur?

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometime between Lincoln's Income tax and your income tax.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Lincoln created an income tax to pay for the War in 1862 but it was repealed in 1872.
The Beale Papers were copyrighted in 1864 and published in 1865.
Congress reenacted an income tax in 1894, but the Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional.
In 1913, income tax was passed again, this time with the IRS for collection.

Franklin, when did these events that you mention that are connected to the Beale Papers occur?
WRONG! BPP - copyrighted 1884; published - 1885.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... A person of interest that purchased one half the property of James B. Ward's Hunter's Hill Plantation had whole files missing from court records. Then I found out why they were missing...
Who bought the other half?
Was this before James Beverly Ward's copyright application on borrowed letterhead for the "authentic statements" of the BEALE PAPERS?

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes this was before the copyright. Everyone said the land was sold off during WW2 by his son but it was sold 60 years or more before that. I have not been able to locate the deeds of the two purchasers yet. There were two smaller tracts of this land, one was seven acres given to one of JBW's daughter and husband. Then there was another tract of 27 acres. The two tracts sold other than the two mentioned was of about 150 acres each. Another tract of 50 acres or more was given by JBR to one of the George Hutter sons before he died or either by his Will. There was also a house and lot in Lynchburg. Still working on all of this but like I said the Campbell County Records are in a shambles.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only one TJB of record during the entire era and that man was a free man of color serving as alderman in Jackson Ward, Richmond in 1884. Now Franklin introduces a black fellowship church, go figure. Was their a TJB associated with that church? If not, where is this connection to the Beale tale?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes this was before the copyright. Everyone said the land was sold off during WW2 by his son but it was sold 60 years or more before that...
60 years before WWII would place the time in the 1880's, the of Ward's copyright and then published job print pamphlet.

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes but "or more" would place it in the 1870's which it was about 1870 or 1872.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still not seeing any direct connection to the Beale tale? It's just more suspect detail and dates that can be weaved and woven through all of the rabbit holes. Where is the provenance, that required direct connection?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes but "or more" would place it in the 1870's which it was about 1870 or 1872.
Isn't that around the time when both James Beverly Ward and the widow Anzolette Saunders (at whose home Robert Morriss told the Beale tale to the "unknown author") had financial problems?

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure was, only trouble with Anzoletta though was she died and JBW did not die until 1907.

First of all, I am not saying that the Beale Treasure Story is true? What I am saying is----- there is a direct connection between Lynchburg, Campbell County and Danville, Pittsylvania County. And this could be the reason for the cipher codes? There was a lot of gold and silver that went unaccounted for at the end of the Civil War. This may or may not be part of it.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... What I am saying is----- there is a direct connection between Lynchburg, Campbell County and Danville, Pittsylvania County. And this could be the reason for the cipher codes? There was a lot of gold and silver that went unaccounted for at the end of the Civil War...
One connection is CSA MAJOR Edward S Hutter (Ward's cousin) who saved CSA Sec Of State Judah P Benjamin's personal annotated copy of Vattel's LAW OF NATIONS which was employed as a Confederate code book, when both men, Davis's cabinet and the Confederate treasury were all in Danville after the fall of Richmond.
This "connection" has been discussed many times over on these threads, and no "direct connection" has ever been established beyond speculation.

Last edited:

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
Franklin,

Have you been able to pinpoint the location of Hunter’s Hill on a modern day map? I would appreciate even a ballpark location (Within 1 or two miles?)

This is what I “think” I know!

Newspaper excerpts; Death of James Beverly Ward

Lynchburg News — May 17, 1907, Page 6, Column 6

Mr. Ward resided the greater portion of his life at Hunter’s Hill,” six miles from Lynchburg, which had been the home of his grandfather, Major James Beverly Risque and which is now the shelter of the sixth generation, having been in the family for more than a hundred years.

From Census data, we know that Hunter’s Hill was located in the Brookeville Magisterial District in Campbell County, Virginia. (This gives a very rough direction to the 6 miles notation)

In the 1900 Brookville District Census we find James living with his daughter and son-in-law, Thomas Emory McVeigh at Hunter’s Hill. The census indicates that Thomas McVeigh is the owner of Hunter’s Hill and it is free of any mortgage?

When James died in 1907, he and the Thomas McVeigh family had moved to Lynchburg (Died at 105 Harrison Street)

Lynchburg News — May 18, 1907, Page 6, Column 7

The interment was at the old family burying ground at “Hunter’s Hill,” Mr. Ward’s country home, where rest four generations of the family.

Lynchburg News — June 2, 1907, Page 2, Column 4

The remains were tenderly laid to rest in the old family grave yard at beautiful “Hunter’s Hill,” and by the side of the loving wife who shared his joys and sorrows until the “Master” said “Thy work on earth is done.”

Who are the 4 generations buried in the Hunter’s Hill Cemetery?

Who was the 6th Generation sheltered at Hunter’s Hill?

I’m confusing “myself” so I better quit!

Any help will be appreciated,

Garry

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
“If God wishes to love the fifth generation to come, he will unveil the intentions and the spirit of the
dead. And with my help!”

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin,

Have you been able to pinpoint the location of Hunter’s Hill on a modern day map? I would appreciate even a ballpark location (Within 1 or two miles?)

This is what I “think” I know!

Newspaper excerpts; Death of James Beverly Ward

Lynchburg News — May 17, 1907, Page 6, Column 6

Mr. Ward resided the greater portion of his life at Hunter’s Hill,” six miles from Lynchburg, which had been the home of his grandfather, Major James Beverly Risque and which is now the shelter of the sixth generation, having been in the family for more than a hundred years.

From Census data, we know that Hunter’s Hill was located in the Brookeville Magisterial District in Campbell County, Virginia. (This gives a very rough direction to the 6 miles notation)

In the 1900 Brookville District Census we find James living with his daughter and son-in-law, Thomas Emory McVeigh at Hunter’s Hill. The census indicates that Thomas McVeigh is the owner of Hunter’s Hill and it is free of any mortgage?

When James died in 1907, he and the Thomas McVeigh family had moved to Lynchburg (Died at 105 Harrison Street)

Lynchburg News — May 18, 1907, Page 6, Column 7

The interment was at the old family burying ground at “Hunter’s Hill,” Mr. Ward’s country home, where rest four generations of the family.

Lynchburg News — June 2, 1907, Page 2, Column 4

The remains were tenderly laid to rest in the old family grave yard at beautiful “Hunter’s Hill,” and by the side of the loving wife who shared his joys and sorrows until the “Master” said “Thy work on earth is done.”

Who are the 4 generations buried in the Hunter’s Hill Cemetery?

Who was the 6th Generation sheltered at Hunter’s Hill?

I’m confusing “myself” so I better quit!

Any help will be appreciated,

Garry

Hi Garry,

That has been a search of Rebel KGC and I for twenty years or more. It is difficult to find this plantation. The Historical Society has list of all cemeteries even private family cemeteries and you can find all of them listed on the Internet. Yet, Hunter's Hill Cemetery is not among this list. Hunter's Hill was sold by court order in 1870 to 1872. There were two purchasers one being a judge with ties to Campbell County, Pittsylvania and Henry Counties. He was also a judge in Danville, Va during the Civil War when the Confederate Treasury was shipped and buried. Where Hunter's Hill is located there is rumors of a CSA Treasure being buried of $5 Million Dollars in a well with an Acadia Tree planted over the Well. Rebel KGC is familiar with that legend also. I am still tracking down the two purchasers of this property but I am not finding anything as I mentioned before the records at the Rustburg, Va., Campbell County's Land Office is a MESS to find any information is almost impossible. But I will continue looking. You can download a website of the Campbell County Records for about $50. a month. In the long run I should have paid for the website as I have made at least fifty trips to their office and the drive is over 240 miles round trip. We will continue looking and maybe some day we will find the cemetery and just maybe Robert Morriss and Sarah his wife are buried there also. You most likely should look in Bedford County newspapers to see what they may have. I have found a few receipts but no address.

P.S. James Beverly Ward's daughter did get 7 acres of this plantation and maybe the cemetery is located on her property?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread