"The house now owned and occupied by Max Guggenheimer, ESQ"

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I have a general location but the roads have changed. The road used to go through New London but now when they built the Turnpike it was by-passed. The directions I have says 3/4 mile on the West side of the Old New London Road from where the Old New London Road meets the Salem Turnpike about six miles from Lynchburg. I have one paper that says it is on Dreaming Creek and another saying on Burton Creek. I think Dreaming Creek is a branch of Burton Creek?
I know that road, & New London has a museum; gotta check their hours. OLD New London Road meets Salem Turn-Pike (now known as Rt. 460); across Rt. 460 is a HUGE "yard sale" type "area", County Line Treasures, I think it is called. There are two roads to check at New London (was part of Campbell County, Va.; now... Bedford County, Va.). In fact, at one time, New London was the CAPITAL city of Bedford County; now it is BEDFORD, once known as... LIBERTY! FACTS! :laughing7:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that road, & New London has a museum; gotta check their hours. OLD New London Road meets Salem Turn-Pike (now known as Rt. 460); across Rt. 460 is a HUGE "yard sale" type "area", County Line Treasures, I think it is called. There are two roads to check at New London (was part of Campbell County, Va.; now... Bedford County, Va.). In fact, at one time, New London was the CAPITAL city of Bedford County; now it is BEDFORD, once known as... LIBERTY! FACTS! :laughing7:

James Beverly Ward also owned the East side of the Old New London Road but it was sold early to George Hutter and JBR's brother, well JBR's brother left it to George Hutter. They had a big court battle over the land because Risque's brother was in Missouri.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
...and Risque's brother, John Pickrell Risqué, was massacred by Indians while inspecting gold and silver mines in Arizona two years before the Beale Papers were published, and is one of several events in the Risqué/Hutter/Ward extended family bloodline that was utilized by reference or alluded in the pamphlet's narrative text.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
...and Risque's brother, John Pickrell Risqué, was massacred by Indians while inspecting gold and silver mines in Arizona two years before the Beale Papers were published, and is one of several events in the Risqué/Hutter/Ward extended family bloodline that was utilized by reference or alluded in the pamphlet's narrative text.
I think so, too.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It is well established that Max Guggenheimer had a house at 1902 Grace Street, the Diamond Hill district of Lynchburg, which is still standing today...
What year was this house of Max Guggenheimer built?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What year was this house of Max Guggenheimer built?

Will have to research it do not know at the present. But the house Max owned at the head of Main Street was the former home of Robert and Sarah Morriss.

At: lynchburgrestorations.com it says circa 1920

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Max died in 1912, so the Grace Street house had to be built some years earlier.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Max died in 1912, so the Grace Street house had to be built some years earlier.

Maybe his son had the same name. There is an old folks home there now with the name.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The 1877 Grey's Map of Lynchburg has "Max Guggenheimer Jr" located at 600 Main Street with 3 buildings represented.
Residence or Business ?
This not proof that this was once Robert Morriss personal residence, and today at that location is the ACADEMY OF FINE ARTS BUILDING built in 1905.
It is also worth noting that C M Guggenheimer opened his department store in the OLD NORVELL HOUSE building, which is mentioned in the Beale Papers as being called the Washington Hotel which Robert Morriss managed.
ACTUALLY, the Washington Hotel became the ARLINGTON. It stills exist in L'burg, as the ARLINGTON, bunch of apts (21) in one building @ 700 COURT Street in downtown L'burg, near the old courthouse (now the L'burg Museum).

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always wondered about the Claytor-Miller home that was moved from Lot #15. Robert Morris sister lived in that house. And it was across the street from the Washington Hotel. President Thomas Jefferson said he stayed there? Was it a boarding house too?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
C-M Home is currently at Riverside Park in L'burg; it is where he ate an Apple, which ppl believed was poison. The FRENCH called 'em LOVE APPLES.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C-M Home is currently at Riverside Park in L'burg; it is where he ate an Apple, which ppl believed was poison. The FRENCH called 'em LOVE APPLES.

Love Apples, Jerusalem Apple actually a tomato brought up from New Orleans.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful home. The Washington Hotel looked just like it. Probably built by the same carpenter.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
That is a beautiful home. The Washington Hotel looked just like it. Probably built by the same carpenter.
Eh...? Thought Washington Hotel was built with bricks; MAYBE, the same guy (brick-layer) that did Mr. Jefferson's University (Academlcal Village/UVA). :coffee2:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eh...? Thought Washington Hotel was built with bricks; MAYBE, the same guy (brick-layer) that did Mr. Jefferson's University (Academlcal Village/UVA). :coffee2:

Maybe later. But in the early days of Thomas Beale it was a wood building about 28 ft. wide and probably 36 to 40 feet long. Two story.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
THAT was the Washington House/Inn, private home of RM; TJB wrote several times regarding being at RM's HOME in the JOB PRINT. It was at the HEAD of Main Street (5th & Main), roughly in the area of Texas Inn, TODAY. Top of the cliff above Blackwater Creek, with homes across the creek by streets along the RIVER-FRONT (going up to Diamond Hill). Think Court of Honor is up there... once used for DUELING!!!

Last edited:

Blue Gold

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2021
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys for the cheap entertainment. Your missing the point. It's so easy, when you have the key. What makes Loundon County, VA so special? Look into that. I see this post is a few years old, who all is still around?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread