HUNTER'S HILL

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
OLD New London Road connects New London with the Lynchburg-Salem Turnpike (Rt. 460); it is past Plantation Road of Campbell County, Va. LOL! It is where the 7-11 is, & ECS can go in and get some "dogs"/drinks... heh. Rufus is a TROLL that lives on Dreaming Creek... :tongue3: :coffee2:
Just read in local news-paper that volunteers from Friends of New London are cleaning up the OLD grave yard near-by. Rufus is NOT amused. :laughing7: :coffee2:

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean up New London and you will be cleaning it up for Falwell. He now owns all of New London and half of Lynchburg, Va. Another potential Presidential Candidate with a Billion Dollars of our taxpayers money. Crap for Falwell let the trash and brush pile up.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I was reading through The Robert and Sarah Morris Story thread and ran across CW’s link in post #217. It was the chancery File in the early 1870s involving James Beverly Ward.

One of the items that caught my eye was the sale of property that involved James B Ward and his mother Adelaide This property was at least a portion of their inheritance from James Beverly Risque. I suspect the portion being sold by Adelaide contained the main living quarters of Hunter’s Hill.

It does not locate the property and I know it’s not new information for several of the posters but I found it interesting and hope it will provide a clearer picture for some.

The actual newspaper image is #96 of #209. Image #95 Source: Lynchburg News — July 13 1870.

View attachment 1780106

"These tracts lie on the old New London road near its junction with the Lynchburg and Salem Turnpike, about six miles from the city of Lynchburg."

There is also a reference elsewhere to Dreaming Creek in these proceedings. I only spent about 30 minutes and I suspect, through a more thorough study, some other details might emerge.

CW also provided a link elsewhere to James B Risque’s Will that places the property on the north side of the road.

Peter Viemeister: The Beale Treasure (1987) Page 148; About seven miles out of town, and three miles from Poplar Forest was Risque’s other residence, a farm that he called “Hunter’s Hill.” From 1817 to 1829 he assembled more that 500 acres on Dreaming Creek near the road from New London to lynch’s Ferry, to serve as his plantation. This property served five generations before being subdivided just after World War II to finance the college educations of some of Risque’s great-great-great-grandchildren.

This description of Hunter’s Hill location matches the Chancery file and I suspect Peter had access to this file and other deed records for his conclusions. The inferences that the land was still in the family, until after WW II, is questionable but I am "assuming" the sale proceeded as advertised in 1870 but the family continued to live there? I've probably got this screwed up!!

There are several Civil War era maps that reflect the Lynchburg area in 1864 period. [Where is the "Old" New London Road?] Maybe someone can clear this up for me?

One thing that was cleared up for me was Reb’s references to Dreaming Creek and Rufus. I had no idea what he was talking about.

Franklin, I know you are way ahead of all of us on this search and I look forward to your sources when you are in a position to reveal your detailed information.

Garry
YOU have very good info here...

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Which brings up a road near New London, Va.; Turkey Foot Road, with Middle Toe Road in the center. A U.S. Post Office was there, for the community of Geranium, Va. (post office is no longer there). COULD be part of the old Plantation/Farm... dunno. (Info taken from BEDFORD VILLAGES: Lost & Found; Vol. III, pg. 100-102).

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
But, Middle Toe Road points WEST, and is "cut off"... implying that the "treasure" has already been found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread