HUNTER'S HILL

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have did extensive research for the home of James Beverly Risque and it's cemetery where Giles and Adeline Ward and others are buried. I hope to find the cemetery but whether there are any headstones is yet to be seen. Robert Morriss and Sarah Mitchell his wife may also be buried in this cemetery?

Why this property is so difficult to locate is beyond figuring out. I have worked and worked and now I believe I have it narrowed down to a few hundred feet of ground.

I have already worked out where Robert Morriss died at the home of his niece Anzoletta Saunders. I will check both of these locations but it may take until after New Years. I certainly hope both houses are still standing. May be able to find some hidden cache of papers that may reveal a secret or two?

Benjamin Gates

May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have did extensive research for the home of James Beverly Risque and it's cemetery where Giles and Adeline Ward and others are buried. I hope to find the cemetery but whether there are any headstones is yet to be seen. Robert Morriss and Sarah Mitchell his wife may also be buried in this cemetery?

Why this property is so difficult to locate is beyond figuring out. I have worked and worked and now I believe I have it narrowed down to a few hundred feet of ground.

I have already worked out where Robert Morriss died at the home of his niece Anzoletta Saunders. I will check both of these locations but it may take until after New Years. I certainly hope both houses are still standing. May be able to find some hidden cache of papers that may reveal a secret or two?

An older topo map may show something?

OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good old maps are hard to find. I have located the property and it's survey lines. But it looks like the house was either torn down or burned down. Maybe even bulldozed. Still I can not figure where the cemetery was or where it went to, maybe they bulldozed it too after removing the interned to some other cemetery.

I saw one time where it stated that James Beverly Risque was buried on his plantation. Yet when you research it, you will find that he is buried in his father in law, George Hutter's family plot in Spring Hill Cemetery. Maybe he was removed to that family plot? Still where is Giles and Adeline, JBW's father and mother and JBW Jr. buried? I will have to get up that way and put boots in the area to find what I am looking for. I definitely have the right area and I have verified the location with compass and distances.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I must be on Everybody's IGNORE; ALREADY posted that James Beverly Risque is buried in the Presbyterian Cemetery in Lynchburg, Va. on Grace Street, with OTHER War of 1812 Vets (BEEN THERE). It is behind E.S. Hutter's grave-site (a GRANDSON)... VERY well-weathered tombstone. There is even a plaque, with JBR's name on it (in the office). JBR must have been "put there" after E.S.H. died. BEEN THERE, found NO ONE else. Will post a "link" with JBR's name on it, AGAIN!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
It is Section 9; LOTS of Hutter Family near-by. (Row 9, Plot # 1); off of Grace Street, can walk to Grave-site.

Last edited:
OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
James Beverly Risque https://old.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/...=48&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=147850024&df=all&ue

It says no marker is found? Maybe he is not buried here? But my point being in my previous post was that JBR could have been buried at Hunter's Hill and if he was reburied there should be a record of the disinterment and of the re-burial. Cause really I do not know where JBR is buried. I know Giles Ward paid for the funeral. I will have to go back and look at the records on JBR.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I think JBR was buried FIRST at Hunter's Hill Plantation/Farm, then moved to Presbyterian Cemetery on Grace Street to "be with" OTHER War of 1812 Vets.

Last edited:
OP
OP
franklin

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think JBR was buried FIRST at Hunter's Hill Plantation/Farm, then moved to Presbyterian Cemetery on Grace Street to "be with" OTHER War of 1812 Vets.

Where is Giles and Adeline buried? Also James Jr.?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
BACK to the TOPIC of this "THREAD"; James Beverly Risque & Hunter's Hill... ECS, IF you have NOTHING to "contribute"... BUTT OUT! WE are SERIOUS, here!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
If you say so. Carry on.
TY, we WILL... Burial "site" of JAMES BEVERLY RISQUE, & HUNTER'S HILL, is forth-coming. A Plaque at Presbyterian Cemetery was dedicated to War of 1812 Vets (buried there) in 2015; James Beverly Risque (name) is on the Plaque; "site" is stated by the PC Office to be behind ES Hutter's site (9, #1... on Grace Street; up from ROSLYN Street, "Robert Morriss).

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread