"JANUARY,1820, while keeping the WASHINGTON HOUSE"

TJB

Banned
Dec 25, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It was in the month of January,1820, while keeping the Washington House, that I (Morriss) first saw and became acquainted with Beale"- THE BEALE PAPERS
"He (Morriss) leased for a term of years the Washington Hotel, known now as the Arlington, on Church Street...he removed to the Franklin Hotel, now the Norvell House"-THE BEALE PAPERS

The Washington House/Hotel, where Morriss first became acquainted with Beale was in 1885, now called the Arlington Hotel on Church Street according to the Beale story narrative.
At various times, there were TWO Arlington Hotels in Lynchburg- one on 9th & Main, the other on 8th & Court, not on Church as mentioned in the Beale story narrative.

Was this another purposeful discrepancy placed in the dime novel pamphlet as a wink to the buyer that the Beale Papers was a work of fiction? There are other discrepancies and anachronisms throughout the narrative story that would have been noticed in 1885 Lynchburg, but long forgotten by the Pauline Innis's book and magazine articles gave the Beale Papers a second life.

A big lot of fiction from some of this one's post.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Albertaclipper

Feb 27, 2012
Central Alberta, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keeping with the theme.....its always good that the said location did exist! Not sure it helps, but it is/was a place!

Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keeping with the theme.....its always good that the said location did exist! Not sure it helps, but it is/was a place!

View attachment 1895593 View attachment 1895594

Albertaclipper, Great as always. I will state that first it was the Washington Inn, Washington Hotel, Washington House and then the Arlington. There was one prior name before Washington Inn but I will hang on that one for a while. I have proof that the Hotel was there before 1819. So TJB could have stayed there. I do not know if Robert Morris was the Proprietor though until 1821.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... So TJB could have stayed there. I do not know if Robert Morris was the Proprietor though until 1821.
That is "IF" Thomas J Beale was an actual person and existed outside of the Beale Papers dime novel pamphlet.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Look at the 1877 Gray's Map of Lynchburg, Virginia and you will find the Arlington at 8th Street and Church Street. Directly across 8th Street on the other corner is where Robert Morriss' sister lived that married William Warwick, first Mayor of Lynchburg, Va.
Down from the OLD court-house; OLD Lynchburg, Va. started at the river & went up to the OLD Court-house boundaries. Washington HOTEL started in 1823 or so; torn down in 1889 or so, & the Norvell House built in its place (city "records").

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down from the OLD court-house; OLD Lynchburg, Va. started at the river & went up to the OLD Court-house boundaries. Washington HOTEL started in 1823 or so; torn down in 1889 or so, & the Norvell House built in its place in its place (city "records").

The Hotel was built before March, 1818.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Strange... 200 VMI Cadets camped in OCC, where Beale Treasure was stated to have been buried; did any of 'em take BT "home" to VMI...? Hmmm.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions