Le jeu ne vaut pas a chandelle The play is not worth the candle

Five

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This French proverb is found in Cotgrave's Dictionary of the French and English Tongues. 1611 first used in print in French.

French use in New France after 1690 in Newspapers and other print!

English use

The game is worth the candle.

The game is not worth the candle.

Gambling reference!

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This French proverb is found in Cotgrave's Dictionary of the French and English Tongues. 1611 first used in print in French.

English use

Gambling reference!

So if I wrote a fictional tale tonight and I used that proverb in my fictional tale would you then claim that it proves that my tale was written in 1611-1690 era? :laughing7:
Dude, you just keep shooting yourself, your credibility, and your integrity in the foot......you can only blame yourself for inflicting that damage.

OP
OP
Five

Five

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if I wrote a fictional tale tonight and I used that proverb in my fictional tale would you then claim that it proves that my tale was written in 1611-1690 era? :laughing7:
Dude, you just keep shooting yourself, your credibility, and your integrity in the foot......you can only blame yourself for inflicting that damage.

I'm just researching words and groups of words! You can do whatever you wish. I can show proof of my work and it is quite interesting.

This French Proverb is found in many French to English text books in the late 1700's early 1800's too. In 1890 it was used in a Sherlock Holmes story that Doyal had written. The Proverb became very popular after that.

You still don't understand what I'm doing here! I am simply doing word studies of a few word a and set's of words from the Beale letters to Mr Morriss.

You just don't seem to understand! I am not here to debate/argue with you. Give it up!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You still don't understand what I'm doing here! I am simply doing word studies of a few word a and set's of words from the Beale letters to Mr Morriss.

Five, pay attention, "there are no actual letters to Morriss!" The alleged letters you're referencing don't exist anywhere outside of the 1885 narration. "You have no REAL letters!" What you have are author devices......:laughing7:
It's for this same reason that you have found no trace of the alleged TJB, the party, the grand adventure, etc., etc. It's for this same reason that you have no REAL/TRUE French connection, etc., etc. You're creating your own fantasy without these required evidences/facts in place.....:laughing7:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Man this one started off early.

God I love these threads.

BIGSCOOP, can you tell me something about Bigfoot in your shortest possible sentence and use that phrase.

OP
OP
Five

Five

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Five, pay attention, "there are no actual letters to Morriss!" The alleged letters you're referencing don't exist anywhere outside of the 1885 narration. "You have no REAL letters!" What you have are author devices......:laughing7:
It's for this same reason that you have found no trace of the alleged TJB, the party, the grand adventure, etc., etc. It's for this same reason that you have no REAL/TRUE French connection, etc., etc. You're creating your own fantasy without these required evidences/facts in place.....:laughing7:

You conspiracy theory is flawed in so many ways!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You conspiracy theory is flawed in so many ways!

You do realize that I'm presenting facts, what you're presenting without supporting evidences or fact is a "conspiracy theory", yes? :laughing7:
Also, just because you likely avoided it, the word "ho" dates back to the 15th century when it was commonly used to draw attention, it was also frequently used in the mid 1800's during western expansion for the same reason, to excite the sense of adventure and freedom. Another "fact" my young and inexperienced friend...:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Five

Five

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do realize that I'm presenting facts, what you're presenting without supporting evidences or fact is a "conspiracy theory", yes? :laughing7:
Also, just because you likely avoided it, the word "ho" dates back to the 15th century when it was commonly used to draw attention, it was also frequently used in the mid 1800's during western expansion for the same reason, to excite the sense of adventure and freedom. Another "fact" my young and inexperienced friend...:thumbsup:

Conspiracy theory

: a theory that explains an event or set of circumstances as the result of an author or group's secret to deceive you into believing lie's and deceit as a true historical event!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Conspiracy theory

: a theory that explains an event or set of circumstances as the result of an author or group's secret to deceive you into believing lie's and deceit as a true historical event!

:laughing7:....well, at least now you know what you're truly presenting! Good for you, for finally looking it up. Maybe now you'll understand why you can't get your "conspiracy theory" to take hold. You simply need to locate some true facts and true evidences in place of all of your false facts and manufactured evidences. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Five

Five

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7:....well, at least now you know what you're truly presenting! Good for you, for finally looking it up. Maybe now you'll understand why you can't get your "conspiracy theory" to take hold. You simply need to locate some true facts and true evidences in place of all of your false facts and manufactured evidences. :icon_thumright:

Interesting ploy of Idiosyncrasies!

Do you believe the author has someway hoodwinked others with his story?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting ploy of Idiosyncrasies!

Do you believe the author has someway hoodwinked others with his story?

Are you speaking of you as an author of a conspiracy theory, or the Beale Papers author and his fabulous tale of treasure? In the first case, no, I'd say that is a huge fail. In the second case, yes, many like yourself. :icon_thumright:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

English use

Gambling reference!

Have you looked to see if others, such as Shakespeare, ever employed this phrase?....:laughing7:

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man this one started off early.

God I love these threads.

BIGSCOOP, can you tell me something about Bigfoot in your shortest possible sentence and use that phrase.

I'm kind of addicted to these threads lol. Beale,dowsing, LDR's. Why???
There is a pattern it seems. Someone makes a Don Quixote like run at proof, and immediately there comes wolves in to drag them down.
The poster eventually retires to lick their wounds. And then appears again without warning, waving new "evidence". And here come the dang wolves!
One of these days, and you can mark my words, someone will come blasting into some small town from the mountains. There will be a nine foot long Bigfoot in the bed of their truck with half their head blown off. And in a pouch hung on the Bigfoot will be the deciphered Beale texts, a worn map with a big red "X" on it, chunks of gold, and dowsing rods.
And there will be a tiny scared Gray alien with big eyes sitting tied on the seat next to some red neck!

OP
OP
Five

Five

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you looked to see if others, such as Shakespeare, ever employed this phrase?....:laughing7:

Late fifteen cuntury, outside my parameters for the word search!

OP
OP
Five

Five

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm kind of addicted to these threads lol. Beale,dowsing, LDR's. Why???
There is a pattern it seems. Someone makes a Don Quixote like run at proof, and immediately there comes wolves in to drag them down.
The poster eventually retires to lick their wounds. And then appears again without warning, waving new "evidence". And here come the dang wolves!
One of these days, and you can mark my words, someone will come blasting into some small town from the mountains. There will be a nine foot long Bigfoot in the bed of their truck with half their head blown off. And in a pouch hung on the Bigfoot will be the deciphered Beale texts, a worn map with a big red "X" on it, chunks of gold, and dowsing rods.
And there will be a tiny scared Gray alien with big eyes sitting tied on the seat next to some red neck!

All these people on here talking about facts of Beale Papers, how long are they eventually retired/banned for?

Don't think they're liking, but seem to be sharpening there knives.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread