How would you approach a land owner"

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get in first just to metal detect and share your finds with them. Take it slow. After you have recovered and gave them a few items off of their property, then mention to them about "what if" you find a larger treasure? How would they like to share in the recovery? Also that you would sign papers to bear the expense of trying to find something larger? Then get into signing a contract? Also mention in the contract that if anything should go wrong such as you getting hurt or something, that you will bare all the expense and they would never be liable? Also mention in the contract that you will dig and fill all holes back to original or near original condition. That you will not disturb structures or roads or anything around their residence without their permission. You have to move slowly to gain their confidence. Move quickly and you will get a quick "NO"

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
If, you know a "local" that you can trust, and the landowner "knows"... THAT may be your FIRST step (to get on that "property").

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turn of the flash light, run away real fast. Be quiet till he goes back in house. Okay, now dont do that. You can either sell your self with most folks see through. Or you can work the curiosity side of folks. Know how the machine works, tell em a little at what you find. Ask to give them a demo and pick a good spot like the walkway. I carry a business card with my picture and contact info. I have usually been invited as someone lost something. But folks are strange, I have also been asked to leave once I started finding stuff. Good Luck.

OP
OP
T

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
But folks are strange, I have also been asked to leave once I started finding stuff. Good Luck.

This is what I would be afraid of...In the beginning I had three possible sites in question. I had request from one of the land owners to walk their property and I was told I would have to come up with $100,000.00 just to step foot on the property and I would have to give up at least 3/4 of what I had found. My folks raised no fool, I narrowed my search to one spot but don't what to give it all away...

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
First I would get bonded so you can show your covered personally in case of accidents and also that the landowners livestock and property are covered. That shows you care about them too.

Next before getting into the particulars of what you want to detect... offer to do some work that they might need done. Fixing fence, gates, any repair of outbuildings, mowing, brushhog work etc. Anything at all to show you are willing to be a friend first.

I agree about sharing or giving a few finds to the owner. You also could have references from other land owners who let you hunt showing you are responsible and honest.

After you build up some trust and a friendship then broach the subject and details if a larger amount is recovered. Get everything in writing.

Being Bonded Goes A Long Way in this day and age. Check with your insurance company, they are very reasonable.

Good Luck!
Kace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions