QUESTIONABLE INFORMATION POSTED AS FACT CONCERNING THE BEALE TALE

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
When one researches James Beverly Ward's extended family, Risqué, Hutter, Kennerly, Hancock, Sherman, as well as his wife Harriet's to Buford, Otey, Morris, Mitchell, the source material for the locations and some of the names in the Beale Papers become apparent through the literary constructed ambiguity of the job print pamphlet.
LOL!

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
Another question then, how many of Sherman's other works were copy write? If nothing else had a copy write why the Beale Papers? Could it have been Charles button who had received the Papers from Morris and James B. Ward was acting on behalf of Buttons? Or could have Sherman had Ward request the copy write so Buttons had no claim to it?

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Another question then, how many of Sherman's other works were copy write? If nothing else had a copy write why the Beale Papers? Could it have been Charles button who had received the Papers from Morris and James B. Ward was acting on behalf of Buttons? Or could have Sherman had Ward request the copy write so Buttons had no claim to it?

James Beverly Ward applied for copyright as "agent for the author" on a letterhead borrowed from the company at which his son-in-law worked with only the title of the BEALE PAPERS, not the story, or the alleged "letters", nor the three ciphers.
Makes one wonder if the "finished manuscript" that the "doesn't want to be known" author presented to Ward was NOT actually finished when Ward applied for copyright.
Once the pamphlet was printed this alleged orininal handwritten manuscript, "letters", and ciphers DISAPEARED, as if they never actually existed.
*NOTE* Charles W Button never claimed authorship of the Beale Papers, but stated that John William Sherman, his sub-editor at the LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN was the author.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
James Beverly Ward applied for copyright as "agent for the author" on a letterhead borrowed from the company at which his son-in-law worked with only the title of the BEALE PAPERS, not the story, or the alleged "letters", nor the three ciphers.
Makes one wonder if the "finished manuscript" that the "doesn't want to be known" author presented to Ward was NOT actually finished when Ward applied for copyright.
Once the pamphlet was printed this alleged orininal handwritten manuscript, "letters", and ciphers DISAPEARED, as if they never actually existed.
*NOTE* Charles W Button never claimed authorship of the Beale Papers, but stated that John William Sherman, his sub-editor at the LYNCHBURG VIRGINIAN was the author.
True.

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
But why copy write a title? Why protect the title? Charles Button was about 63 when the copy write was submitted and he died in 1894 at the age of 74. Did Buttons wish to discredit Sherman by claiming Sherman was the author?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did the copy write say? There should have been at least a description noted in the copy write entry.

Beale Treasure Application by James Beverly Ward and copyright from Library of Congress Beale Treasure Copyright.jpg Beale Treasure LibraryCongress.jpg Go to Ron Gervais Beale Treasure Page 9 and you will find that the Beale Treasure Cipher Codes were made up from a history book from 1878 Proof positive the Beale Treasure Papers were fiction made up by James Beverly Ward or a family member.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
But why copy write a title? Why protect the title?...
That is a really good question.
Most likely, THE BEALE PAPERS were not completely written when Ward applied for copyright as "agent for the author".
Another question to be addressed is this:
What became of the original manuscript that the unknown author presented to Ward, and the "letters", ciphers, and the famous iron box after the pamphlet was printed?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have already had a search at the Library of Congress. They could not find a copy. Today you have to send in three copies of a published book unless they have changed the law.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
PV had a copy of the ORIGINAL "Job Print" in his book, THE BEALE TREASURE, A NEW Mystery; it does have copy-right info on title page, & next page. Check it out...

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Copyright does not prove that the content nor does it certify the material contained therein is true.
Ot just gives the copyright owner/holder the sole right to sale ,distribute ,and collect all monies in that endeavor, and as sole owner/holder, the right to sue for any and all infringements concerning that sole owned work.

Which brings us back to the fact that everything contained in the BEALE PAPERS is based on the word of this alleged unnamed author who presented a finished manuscript to James Beverly Ward, which included the alleged letters that form the treasure story and the play along ciphers.
It is interesting to note that this "unknown" author stated in the manuscript that Ward had no knowledge of this treasure story before receiving the finished manuscript, and Ward copyrighted the title as "agent", both removing him from any and all lawsuits arising from the narrative and names mentioned therein or from those who did not heed the additional warning of not neglecting their business in pursuit of this alleged treasure.

It is highly obvious that James Beverly Ward wanted to separate himself from or as being the author for legal reasons, but also for legal reasons, the sole collector of any and all monies collected from sales as guaranteed by a Library Of Congress copyright.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a really good question.
Most likely, THE BEALE PAPERS were not completely written when Ward applied for copyright as "agent for the author".
Another question to be addressed is this:
What became of the original manuscript that the unknown author presented to Ward, and the "letters", ciphers, and the famous iron box after the pamphlet was printed?

[What became of the original manuscript that the unknown author presented to Ward, and the "letters", ciphers, and the famous iron box after the pamphlet was printed?]

Maybe they were put in the box...And the box......Got squirreled in Sherman's chimbly on the flue ,till it got transferred to the stove after copies were burned ;and the stove was stored until some Sweet Home Alabama guy...

Not helpin huh?

The feed store headed paper has been considered evidence of Wm John's being tied to Ward's efforts. By John's working there. Does that make John an accomplice? Or knowing of Wards doins?
I can grasp having stationary from there as easy as my latest feed mill hat given when requested. Even when no hats were in sight or giving them up was not standard practice. (I'm bad like that. But have some in my opinion expensive hats as token symbols of a business transaction in which my wallet has been lightened. Maybe it's time to ask for coats? )

Still ,not sure if engaged in nefarious activity if such an obvious connection as letterhead pointing at my employment would be sense-able.
My current practice with freebies/solicitation type pads of paper someone receives from charities that fall into my hands , and the rare ones directed to me...I tear the headers off usually if not being used for scrap/notes not leaving the house. (Sometimes in the house I tear them "clean" too.)
:icon_scratch:

Not sure it represents an employees relationship with anything I do with it.
Folks give away calendars too. Does it matter who gives me one?

Last edited:

treasure1822

Dec 9, 2010
The paper say the the author chose a specific person too "publish and distribute" the papers. Maybe it is possible that Button's was the person chosen by the author and Sherman and or Ward got a hold of it keeping the story for themselves. This would explain the duration and the copy write. Maybe they decided to try and solve before it was published. Buttons was into State politics which would explain the trip to Richmond. Once he found out the papers had a copy write he was not going to endorse their actions and made the statement that Sherman wrote it.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[What became of the original manuscript that the unknown author presented to Ward, and the "letters", ciphers, and the famous iron box after the pamphlet was printed?]

Maybe they were put in the box...And the box......Got squirreled in Sherman's chimbly on the flue ,till it got transferred to the stove after copies were burned ;and the stove was stored until some Sweet Home Alabama guy...

Not helpin huh?

The feed store headed paper has been considered evidence of Wm John's being tied to Ward's efforts. By John's working there. Does that make John an accomplice? Or knowing of Wards doins?
I can grasp having stationary from there as easy as my latest feed mill hat given when requested. Even when no hats were in sight or giving them up was not standard practice. (I'm bad like that. But have some in my opinion expensive hats as token symbols of a business transaction in which my wallet has been lightened. Maybe it's time to ask for coats? )

Still ,not sure if engaged in nefarious activity if such an obvious connection as letterhead pointing at my employment would be sense-able.
My current practice with freebies/solicitation type pads of paper someone receives from charities that fall into my hands , and the rare ones directed to me...I tear the headers off usually if not being used for scrap/notes not leaving the house. (Sometimes in the house I tear them "clean" too.)
:icon_scratch:

Not sure it represents an employees relationship with anything I do with it.
Folks give away calendars too. Does it matter who gives me one?

Another person that is over-looked that could have been the author was Thomas McVeigh, son in law. He worked at the newspaper and for a number of years before his death, James Beverly Ward stayed in the same house?

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old copy of the Job Print Pamphlet that Peter photocopied in his book, I have talked to the owner of that Pamphlet. She has been offered $7,000 for the Pamphlet and has turned it down.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread