JANUARY 1822 THE WASHINGTON HOTEL

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just mentioning that none of these researched facts that have been stated over and over have ever provided even one tiny piece of legitimate evidence that can confirm the six events I listed, discussing the same information over and over is not going to produce any different revelations of actual proof.

Talking about stating over and over. How many times have you made the same statement at least 10000 times.

OP
OP
cw0909

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
my neighbor gave me an idea on the W hotel, since most
we read that VIP stayed there,important meets there.
someone prob kept the hotel registers ledger/s. seems
the ledger/s would have some historical value. they may
be hard to find there were several owners of the Washington
hotel, and it was leased a couple of times, in the 30s.40s
couldnt find RM as lease/owner

download (2).png
Site of the Washington Hotel : survey report, 1937 Oct. 13
Building date: ca. 1819
Building material: Brick
Primary owners: William Hix, James M. Langhorne
Later the site was occupied by the Arlington Hotel.
Includes abstracts of title.
This write-up is a part of the Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project sponsored by the Virginia Conservation Commission under the direction of its Division of History.
https://lva.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/01LVA_INST/18mtacj/alma990006931540205756

Richmond Whig and Commercial Journal, Volume 8, Number 95, 25 October 1832
https://virginiachronicle.com/?a=d&...20-RWCJ-501--txt-txIN-washington+hotel-------

not sure,if she was just staying or a lease for the W hotel
Richmond Enquirer, Volume 36, Number 54, 12 November 1839
https://virginiachronicle.com/?a=d&...en-20-RE-81--txt-txIN-washington+hotel-------

Richmond Enquirer, Volume 53, Number 92, 13 March 1857
https://virginiachronicle.com/?a=d&...-1857--en-20-RE,RWE-1--txt-txIN-+hotel-------

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
YOUR opinion... trying to shut this forum down...? :dontknow:
Maybe not a complaint, but with remarks similar to this.
...and there have been many- "Let it go", "Close the book", "your abuse of believers", etc.
Just as others here, I post my conclusions based on my research, and when something seems a bit off, or speculation posted as fact, I question that information, as others have question mine.
All part of what's known as a pro/con discussion, that at times ruffles some feathers.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my neighbor gave me an idea on the W hotel, since most
we read that VIP stayed there,important meets there.
someone prob kept the hotel registers ledger/s. seems
the ledger/s would have some historical value. they may
be hard to find there were several owners of the Washington
hotel, and it was leased a couple of times, in the 30s.40s
couldnt find RM as lease/owner

View attachment 1777079
Primary owners: William Hix, James M. Langhorne
Later the site was occupied by the Arlington Hotel.
This write-up is a part of the Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project sponsored by the Virginia Conservation Commission under the direction of its Division of History.
https://lva.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/01LVA_INST/18mtacj/alma990006931540205756

Richmond Whig and Commercial Journal, Volume 8, Number 95, 25 October 1832
https://virginiachronicle.com/?a=d&...20-RWCJ-501--txt-txIN-washington+hotel-------

not sure,if she was just staying or a lease for the W hotel
Richmond Enquirer, Volume 36, Number 54, 12 November 1839
https://virginiachronicle.com/?a=d&...en-20-RE-81--txt-txIN-washington+hotel-------

Richmond Enquirer, Volume 53, Number 92, 13 March 1857
https://virginiachronicle.com/?a=d&...-1857--en-20-RE,RWE-1--txt-txIN-+hotel-------

Robert Morriss' lease was for a period of 8 years from 1818 to 1826. He moved to the Franklin Hotel in 1826. So there would be no record of Robert Morriss leasing the Washington during the 1830's or 1840's.

OP
OP
cw0909

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Robert Morriss' lease was for a period of 8 years from 1818 to 1826.
my link says

the Franklin Hotel
download.png download (2).png
site of the Franklin Hotel : survey report, 1937 Oct. 4
Creator
Beardsworth, Susan R.
Creation Date
1937 - 1004
Format
3 leaves.
Note(s)
Map location number on survey report incorrectly noted as: CAM55. Actual map number: LYN55
Class: Hotel site
Building date: 1815
Builder: Samuel Jordan Harrison
Primary owners: Samuel J. Harrison, Norvell family, Stockton Terry
Also known as: Norvell House
Historical significance: This was the first hotel in Lynchburg.
Includes transcription of toast made by R.G.H. Keen.
The hotel was torn down around 1890.
Genre
Surveys.
https://lva.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/01LVA_INST/18mtacj/alma990006931490205756

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Robert Morriss' lease was for a period of 8 years from 1818 to 1826.
my link says

the Franklin Hotel
View attachment 1777149 View attachment 1777148
site of the Franklin Hotel : survey report, 1937 Oct. 4
Creator
Beardsworth, Susan R.
Creation Date
1937 - 1004
Format
3 leaves.
Note(s)
Map location number on survey report incorrectly noted as: CAM55. Actual map number: LYN55
Class: Hotel site
Building date: 1815
Builder: Samuel Jordan Harrison
Primary owners: Samuel J. Harrison, Norvell family, Stockton Terry
Also known as: Norvell House
Historical significance: This was the first hotel in Lynchburg.
Includes transcription of toast made by R.G.H. Keen.
The hotel was torn down around 1890.
Genre
Surveys.
https://lva.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/01LVA_INST/18mtacj/alma990006931490205756

The year can be off. I notice it says it was made of brick? I have an photo of it and it is a wooden structure. So I don't know about the accuracy of the reports.

OP
OP
cw0909

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
when was the photo taken of the wood structure

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The year can be off. I notice it says it was made of brick? I have an photo of it and it is a wooden structure. So I don't know about the accuracy of the reports.
He was "talking" about the Franklin Hotel of Harrison's; I also read that it was the FIRST hotel in L'burg made of bricks. Robert MORRIS did take over as you said, in 1826.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was "talking" about the Franklin Hotel of Harrison's; I also read that it was the FIRST hotel in L'burg made of bricks. Robert MORRIS did take over as you said, in 1826.

I was talking about the Washington Hotel not the Franklin Hotel.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Washington Hotel was of bricks; Washington House/Inn was of wood, etc, like a private home - RM's. TJB wrote of being in RM's home/house.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when was the photo taken of the wood structure

The photo was taken before 1857 because the Bell Tavern was in the photo also. The Bell Tavern was moved to Market Street in 1857. Dr. Daniel Langhorne lived where the Bell Tavern once stood on the 1877 Gray's Map. So the Washington Tavern, Washington Inn, Washington Hotel, Norvell Arlington House, Arlington House where all the same location.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The photo was taken before 1857 because the Bell Tavern was in the photo also. The Bell Tavern was moved to Market Street in 1857. Dr. Daniel Langhorne lived where the Bell Tavern once stood on the 1877 Gray's Map. So the Washington Tavern, Washington Inn, Washington Hotel, Norvell Arlington House, Arlington House where all the same location.
Show photo...?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Show photo...?

You have seen it before. You just did not recognize it. The photo is in one of those books about early Lynchburg. The photo is in "Lynchburg and it's people" by Asbury Christian. Something like that. Look for Mason's Hall and Bell Tavern. The Washington Inn is right between with the large white pole for the "Washington" Sign.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
You have seen it before. You just did not recognize it. The photo is in one of those books about early Lynchburg. The photo is in "Lynchburg and it's people" by Asbury Christian. Something like that. Look for Mason's Hall and Bell Tavern. The Washington Inn is right between with the large white pole for the "Washington" Sign.
THAT is Washington INN; Washington Hotel was at 107 Court Street, where the ARLINGTON is today...

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THAT is Washington INN; Washington Hotel was at 107 Court Street, where the ARLINGTON is today...

No sir, the Washinton Hotel was at 712 Church Street where the Virginian Hotel is today. Did you not see the Washington Tavern and the Washington Hotel on Lot #23 in CW 0909's post. Here it is. Washinton Hotel Lot #23.png At one time it was called the Norvell Arlington House.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... Lay off the 23 page pamphlet and look for something to verify the 6 steps you just mentioned.
If we do not discuss what we have found so others can compile their research on top of ours is the only way this mystery is ever going to be solved.
One way or the other.
How in discussing the location of the Washington Hotel prove anyone of the 6 steps listed on POST #16?
It is already known that the Washington Hotel as well as Robert Morris existed, what is NOT known is if a Thomas J Beale actually existed outside of those 23 pages of the Beale Papers.

Proving things that are KNOWN does not provide evidence of the Beale stay, but just a fallacy of pretzel logic.
Robert Morris was a real person
Robert Morris ran the Washington Hotel
Therefore, Beale stayed with Morris at the Washington Hotel.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoy while we ignore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread