JANUARY 1822 THE WASHINGTON HOTEL

Garry

Apr 19, 2009
Franklin and Reb

I'm confused also about the Arlington. :icon_scratch: There were two Arlington hotels. Did the WPA make a mistake of am I missing something?

https://www.lynchburgphotos.org/Hotels/Arlington/i-tp8fnnJ

An undated image of the Arlington hotel, also known as the Lynch House, stood at the corner of Ninth and Main streets. Another hotel of the same name was later constructed on Court Street at Eighth

Garry

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin and Reb

I'm confused also about the Arlington. :icon_scratch: There were two Arlington hotels. Did the WPA make a mistake of am I missing something?

An undated image of the Arlington hotel, also known as the Lynch House, stood at the corner of Ninth and Main streets. Another hotel of the same name was later constructed on Court Street at Eighth

Garry

That is an error on the person that posted it. That should be Church Street at Eighth. But when they say constructed later, they are referring to the older buildings. The Lynch House is much older than the Washington House. The Bell Tavern once known as the Ward Tavern of Seth Ward was on the corner of Seventh and Church Street.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
How in discussing the location of the Washington Hotel prove anyone of the 6 steps listed on POST #16?
It is already known that the Washington Hotel as well as Robert Morris existed, what is NOT known is if a Thomas J Beale actually existed outside of those 23 pages of the Beale Papers.

Proving things that are KNOWN does not provide evidence of the Beale stay, but just a fallacy of pretzel logic.
Robert Morris was a real person
Robert Morris ran the Washington Hotel
Therefore, Beale stayed with Morris at the Washington Hotel.
Nah... TJB clearly indicated that he was at RM's HOME.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Franklin and Reb

Garry
NOPE, for the JOB PRINT, Washington Hotel became THE ARLINGTON, where it is TODAY, on Court Street (near the old courthouse, NOW the Musuem). Yes, there was Arlington Hotel (on 9th street, I think)... NOTHING do with to with the story. Court Street & 8th ls correct.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
No sir, the Washinton Hotel was at 712 Church Street where the Virginian Hotel is today. Did you not see the Washington Tavern and the Washington Hotel on Lot #23 in CW 0909's post. Here it is. View attachment 1777474 At one time it was called the Norvell Arlington House.
NOPE, Virginia Hotel was the site of the NEWS-VIRGINIAN New-paper; JOB PRINT was in the SAME building, but on MAIN STREET.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
THE ARLINGTON is 700 Court Street; even seen 707 Court Street, near the old Court-House; now the MUSEUM.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THE ARLINGTON is 700 Court Street; even seen 707 Court Street, near the old Court-House; now the MUSEUM.

That is a different Arlington. It was in the Old Lynch Building. The other is the Norvell Arlington at 712 Church Street.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yours was but mine was not. My Washington Hotel and Norvell Arlington was at 8th and Church Street. That is the building Robert Morriss leased.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
MAYBE we're "talking" about the same building, as THE ARLINGTON did slope down to the street, below, CHURCH. COURT Street is one street above Church Street. t

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAYBE we're "talking" about the same building, as THE ARLINGTON did slope down to the street, below, CHURCH. COURT Street is one street above Church Street. t

All I know is I wish I could get into that Deeds room for one day.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ARLINGTON is now an 21 units (apts) in ONE building...

It was like 23 rooms with 40 odd beds in the 1830's. According to CW0909 papers on the Washington Hotel.

OP
OP
cw0909

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
im going to see if i can find the washington hotel registers ledger/s
seems someone would have kept them

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im pretty green when it comes to the Beale legend. I know very little. Has an historical facts been found on this man?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im going to see if i can find the washington hotel registers ledger/s
seems someone would have kept them

You will most likely have to check with family members of previous families that have owned or was proprietor of the Hotel. That will be very difficult to find. They do have certain locations where they send bank account records to, maybe they have a place to store hotel log books. But most likely some family member has them or either they have tossed them out. I would say the Library of Virginia should answer that question for you about where the Hotel Registration books are kept.

OP
OP
cw0909

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
ya im going to talk to a friend that FBs and see if there are
fam, friend there. prob take me a while, have a friend that
gets in that area once in awhile,hope she has time to dig
records every now and then