SWORD! Help. Looks very old! What language is it & when the heck its from!

Scorpio_queen6

Jun 13, 2016
New Jersey
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

My father in law gave me this sword someone was throwing away at the recycling center. We like old stuff so he gave it to us. We have no idea what language is on the sword or what year its from. Tried asking around and no one knows. Seems very old and is super eerie to be around. Please help me figure this out! Idk what other forums to post on.

Here are some pictures.
Old Sword.png Old Sword 1.jpg Old sword 3.png Old Sword 4.png Old Sword 5.png Old Sword 6.jpg Old Sword 7.png Old Seord 8.png Old Sword 9.png Old Sword 10.png Old Sword 11.png

Thank you!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might wanna repost it in the " what is it " thread..

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am fairly certain this sword is from the Southern Philippines or perhaps Malaysia. The style of the blade suggests that and the Arabic writting on the blade would bolster my opinion as that area has a significant Muslim population, (MORO). I can't make out those white inlays on the handle or the scabbard but I would guess abolone shell. The handle is a bit unusual and my surmise would be that this sword belonged to a man of substance, perhaps an Important Cleric or a "Datu" (Chief). If you clean the blade with a bit of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice the writting will show better, you might even have someone translate it. I've spent time in Mindanao Philippines and this type of decoration looks familiar as does the style of the blade.
GREAT FIND

Last edited:

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe somebody war trophy from 1898-1903 US -Philippines war i agree with what floodcity Tom said......... joke hope it the famous Lupa Lupa sword

Last edited:

hound

Sep 19, 2018
KY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am fairly certain this sword is from the Southern Philippines or perhaps Malaysia. The style of the blade suggests that and the Arabic writting on the blade would bolster my opinion as that area has a significant Muslim population, (MORO). I can't make out those white inlays on the handle or the scabbard but I would guess abolone shell. The handle is a bit unusual and my surmise would be that this sword belonged to a man of substance, perhaps an Important Cleric or a "Datu" (Chief). If you clean the blade with a bit of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice the writting will show better, you might even have someone translate it. I've spent time in Mindanao Philippines and this type of decoration looks familiar as does the style of the blade.
GREAT FIND

It may have somehow shown up there in some form. I've seen no documentation of the Moros using them. The design originated in the Ottoman Empire. It's called a Turkish Yatagan and the design dates from the 16th to 19th century. They were more the common man's weapon. Though the richer people tended to adorn theirs with jewels in handles made of ivory.

Imperial_Armoury_Topkapi_Istanbul_(17).jpeg

Last edited:

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
Lapu Lapu had one 500 years ago which probably came from the middle east ....For sure it wasn't made in south east asia .....But swords that look similar were used here during the last 500 years by the Moro and against American troops in the Philippine American War ..

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks hound for the info on the exact country i always wondered which one ....By the way Moro had a few remington rifles they stole from the spanish in that war so weapons find there way around the world when needed even in today world

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lapu Lapu had one 500 years ago which probably came from the middle east ....

Never realized that Lapu Lapu was an actual place.

Long ago I used to live near a restaurant called Tips, and they
had a bartender there who's uncle (or brother..it was loonngg
ago), Bobby Batugo, invented the drink known as the "Lapu Lapu".

It was a blend of three different rum's and a few other goodies,
and went down as smooth as could be. I drank two of them one night
(house limit) pint.gif , and was hung over for the next three days.. sSig_aaarggh.gif

Last edited:

hound

Sep 19, 2018
KY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lapu Lapu had one 500 years ago which probably came from the middle east ....For sure it wasn't made in south east asia .....But swords that look similar were used here during the last 500 years by the Moro and against American troops in the Philippine American War ..

I think you're speculating a bit. The sword you're thinking about was most likely a Kampilan or Laring. A few of them had a hilt somewhat similar to a Yatagan, though flatter.

Kampilan-feature-e1526905287681.jpg

And a Laring
Laring.jpg

A Mod or Admin will likely move this post, not really about the Beale codes.

Last edited:

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
Lapu Lapu not only a place but also the name of the greatest hero of the Philippines ....He and his 1500 men killed Ferdinand Magellan the guy who never made it around the world another History lie ...To bad there wasn't more like Lapu Lapu the spanish would of never ruled the Philippines ....What i remember he was the only pinoy with a sword the rest had bamboo clubs or bows .....I hope next year DU30 gives credit to this battle 500 years later ...Magellan was a very stupid guy and didn't understand what a turf war was this place feuds were common island to island

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
Hound you are correct ...Lapu Lapu sword type is unknown but it had to come from the middle east .... I once read a debate on this subject but religious bias made it not clear as to the facts ...The only eye witness account was from the ship which was written Latin ...Remember i said i was joking in earlier thread ....Some one like you hound probably looked all the facts could give a educated guess on the exact type....... here in the Philippines that not possible one side bias toward the other and wants to give no credit were credit due

terrafirma

Sep 9, 2020
new england
Detector(s) used
SE PRO, Safari, Excalibur II, Garrett gold scorpion, Whites PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great find from the recycling center! One persons trash is another persons treasure.....

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
Scorpio Queen6 after looking at may photos of the Moro Rebellion 1899-1913 what i remember about 10,000 US soldiers return home in this time period .....that a lot of forgotten war trophies ....the name of the owner might be on the blade of that sword ...I had a tiffany sword with a colonel Sage name scribed on the blade ...People back then were proud of there sword ....I hope one day to find a katana sword no luck so far ....Good luck

hound

Sep 19, 2018
KY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scorpio Queen6 after looking at may photos of the Moro Rebellion 1899-1913 what i remember about 10,000 US soldiers return home in this time period .....that a lot of forgotten war trophies ....the name of the owner might be on the blade of that sword ...I had a tiffany sword with a colonel Sage name scribed on the blade ...People back then were proud of there sword ....I hope one day to find a katana sword no luck so far ....Good luck

It was a bit of a tradition for the maker to write their name on the blade. If it was specifically made for someone their name would be included. Other than that is could be a number of things from Religious text to poems.

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
Antonion Pigafetta the eye witness described the sword as a very large curved sword ....Maybe a Scymitar the Kampilian was the most common domestic sword ...my guess would be a Talwar (gujarat ) the traders in that time period probably had this type or middle east type swords

hound

Sep 19, 2018
KY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Antonion Pigafetta the eye witness described the sword as a very large curved sword ....Maybe a Scymitar the Kampilian was the most common domestic sword ...my guess would be a Talwar (gujarat ) the traders in that time period probably had this type or middle east type swords

There are quite a number of curved blades from around the world. Ottoman wise there was the Shamshir, Kilij, and quite a few others depending on the time period. To prevent the spread of bad information just stick to the description rather than trying to label it as a specific type. It's a bad habit of many on this site to pass on speculation like it's fact.

IMF2020

Aug 31, 2020
Maharlika
Detector(s) used
Clone pulse dive
Primary Interest:
Other
I said my guess based on the fact of who traded in this area .... History has my lies ....I stated the type is unknow ....A guess is better then the lies from the history here ...

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, we all do know that Thomas J Beale did not have one of these swords, for this sword or any sword is not mentioned in the 1885 BEALE PAPERS.
'Nuff Said!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread