I took my DFX down memory lane

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best post in T.Net !!!! :'(
The photographs of the hands of children are amazing, the years go by without noticing and these things are rooted in their unique and unrepeatable moment.

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
I absolutely love this story. It is so sweet it brought tears to my eyes. Had a smile on my face throughout the entire story. Love the pictures and thanks for sharing your memories with us !

-Tx

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for putting this up for us to see. While reading this I was thinking of my old home where I grew up ! And I had to smile as I thought of all the memory's that I had and you were speaking of !

My family still lives at the house that I grew up in , and now I think I will make a trip back after 30 years this summer .
Now see what you did , you got us thinking of home lol.

Nice Story !

OP
OP
Schrecky

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still one of my most memorable hunts.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pictures:hello2:

OP
OP
Schrecky

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is still my most memorable hunt.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was beautiful. I went back to the house I grew up in, too; I'm very close to your age, I was 5 in 1958 when your foto with your grandma was taken. The current owner wouldn't let me search the property, and I really had no desire to see inside the house, it had been gutted and extensively rebuilt after we left (walls removed etc), and there would have been very little to remind me of the old days. but he did "allow" me to search the public right of way alongside the house, a wide grassy swale (that's what we in south florida call an uncurbed grass strip between the road and the sidewalk, or between the road and the property line if there is no sidewalk).

There was, and still is, a bus stop in the swale, just a sign, no bench or shelter. That bus stop was hardly ever used, and still is hardly ever used. But I used it when I was a kid; by the time I was 11 or 12 (1964-65) I was using county buses to get around. I found one 1964 Rosy dime in AU condition in the crack beside the sidewalk, which put it within 3' of our old property. That happened to be the second silver coin I ever found. The sidewalk beside our house ends at the back of the property line, and our house was on a dead-end, so pretty much nobody walked by there, except our own family, and mostly just me as I was the only one who used the bus or mowed the grass. It's pretty weird to find a coin half a century old that you probably dropped yourself very close to the mint date.

The switch from silver to clad, was made at the end of that year, the last 90% silver coinage was minted in 1964. The reason the change was made was because the dollar had been steadily inflating since the time of ww2, and the inflation had been driving silver out of circulation. (The inflation of the 40's-60's was preferable to the deflation of the 1930's). Silver coins very rapidly disappeared almost entirely after clad coins appeared. The change became universal around the globe, all countries switched to base metal coinage, and currency markets since then have decided the value of each country's currency.

Of course, governments influence or control that market by buying or selling or "printing" more currency, the most striking example being China, which buys foreign currency to keep the value of its own currency low, and oddly enough, the USA by means of Quantitative Easing, which arguably prevented deflation of the dollar, or more likely, encouraged a small inflation.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread