I found this today....and it is truly my most meaningful find ever.

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Bryce, what a great story!
I do know what you mean about the solace you find in Metal Detecting.
I lost my mom 6 years ago now, and it still can be rough at times. Especially around the Holidays.
I still have a very hard time just HEARING certain Christmas Carols, because I can still see her standing right next to me, singing them.
I never Metal Detected while she was alive. I didn't find the hobby until 2 years after she passed.
Alot of times I wonder what she would have though about this "new" hobby of mine.
(I wish I found the hobby alot sooner, because my mom owned over 200 acres of land in Fort Edward, NY. with tons of Revolutionary war history on it. Talk about regrets!)
Anyway, there's something about this hobby that helps me find peace.
It gets me away from alot of the negativity in the world, and lets me be alone, in nature, with my thoughts.
For some reason, when I'm out detecting, I get very strong thoughts about my mom.
It helps me remember alot of the things she taught me, and alot of the good times.
And YES, alot of times I'm hoping she leads me to great finds!

Again, really cool story, That was definately your mom saying something to you that day!
I definately believe that they're always with you.
Good luck with the finds in 2009.
I'm on my way out to "Dig-til-dark" right now!
George.

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree. Keep the story here and great find.

auprospector44

Jan 8, 2008
My condolences on the loss of your mother. Your story brought tears to my eyes and a lump in my throat...and I am a "manly man" kinda guy. This is one of the best, if not the best, finds I have read on this forum. You, sir, are an inspiration to us all. Keep strong, keep the faith, and know that your mother will be with you always. That's what Moms do.
auprospector44
(Ken)

girardpaguy

Dec 11, 2008
Girard Pa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QDII / Cen Tec Pinpointer
I'm not a very emotional guy but man oh man this has tears in my eyes. Awesome find (for a life time)

HH

Mark

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Bryce, this is such a great story. I can barely type as it has left me quite emotional.

Like some of the others, I too feel that I have been led to special finds by someone 'above' us. It is such a powerful feeling.

Thank you for sharing this story with all of us. I know it took a great deal of courage to do it. But, we are all better for it as I think everyone who has read this has been quite touched by it. With this story you have really redefined the term 'treasure'.

God bless you and I hope the coming year is easier on you than the last one.

Brian

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian in MA said:
Bryce, this is such a great story. I can barely type as it has left me quite emotional.

Like some of the others, I too feel that I have been led to special finds by someone 'above' us. It is such a powerful feeling.

Thank you for sharing this story with all of us. I know it took a great deal of courage to do it. But, we are all better for it as I think everyone who has read this has been quite touched by it. With this story you have really redefined the term 'treasure'.

God bless you and I hope the coming year is easier on you than the last one.

Brian
Brian. Thanks so much for the kind words. I can only hope and pray that 09 is not such a rollercoaster. I look forward to detecting more than ever now...as that's how I "connect" with my mom. I talk to her often when I hunt alone...and I know she hears me :angel7:

girardpaguy said:
I'm not a very emotional guy but man oh man this has tears in my eyes. Awesome find (for a life time)

HH

Mark
Thanks brother. Ive gotten choked up a few times while typing these responses :angel11:

auprospector44 said:
My condolences on the loss of your mother. Your story brought tears to my eyes and a lump in my throat...and I am a "manly man" kinda guy. This is one of the best, if not the best, finds I have read on this forum. You, sir, are an inspiration to us all. Keep strong, keep the faith, and know that your mother will be with you always. That's what Moms do.
auprospector44
(Ken)
Thank you my friend. I will stay as strong as I can...but I gotta' be honest...it's not getting any easier. It took me 3 months to be able to post this. Take care friend.

KevinH said:
Agree. Keep the story here and great find.
Thanks Kevin

The Buzzard King said:
Bryce, what a great story!
I do know what you mean about the solace you find in Metal Detecting.
I lost my mom 6 years ago now, and it still can be rough at times. Especially around the Holidays.
I still have a very hard time just HEARING certain Christmas Carols, because I can still see her standing right next to me, singing them.
I never Metal Detected while she was alive. I didn't find the hobby until 2 years after she passed.
Alot of times I wonder what she would have though about this "new" hobby of mine.
(I wish I found the hobby alot sooner, because my mom owned over 200 acres of land in Fort Edward, NY. with tons of Revolutionary war history on it. Talk about regrets!)
Anyway, there's something about this hobby that helps me find peace.
It gets me away from alot of the negativity in the world, and lets me be alone, in nature, with my thoughts.
For some reason, when I'm out detecting, I get very strong thoughts about my mom.
It helps me remember alot of the things she taught me, and alot of the good times.
And YES, alot of times I'm hoping she leads me to great finds!

Again, really cool story, That was definately your mom saying something to you that day!
I definately believe that they're always with you.
Good luck with the finds in 2009.
I'm on my way out to "Dig-til-dark" right now!
George.
Thanks for responding George. I hope your mom leads you to some goodies tonight. If not this time...then maybe next time. Afterall...we wouldn't want our moms to spoil us now would we? :angel7: The main thing is that we know we have a way of connecting with them when we have the headphones on :thumbsup: Take care brother

Silver Searcher said:
An Angel is on your shoulder :angel11:
Definately. :thumbsup: Thanks for responding S.S.

robfinds said:
Keep that coin close.

HH Robert.
Thanks Robert. I sure will...I promise :angel7:

allen said:
your mom is watching over you and always will...
I feel the same way allen. Take care buddy

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
IM SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS. 4 YRS AGO I LOST BOTH MY PARENTS TO CANCER 6 WEEKS APART. WHAT KEPT ME GOING IS WHAT I LERNED FROM THE BIBLE ABOUT THE WOUDERFULL PROSPECT OF MY PARENTS RESURRECTION HOPE. I KNOW THEY SUFFER KNOW LONGER. WERE THE ONES THAT HAVE TO KEEP STRONG, AND FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT... WITH TIME, IT HEALS.. MY MOM USE TO SAY THIS.. WHEN THINGS GO WRONG, THIS SHALL PASS. MY MOTHER WAS MY BEST FRIEND. SHE WAS A JOKER. I WENT TO SEE HER ON HER DEATH BED. I TOLD HER THAT I CAME BY THE OTHER NIGHT BUT SHE WAS SLEEPING SO GOOD. SHE TOLD ME," YEA, I DID SLEEP GOOD, BUT ITS A HELL OF A NOTE I GOT TO GET SOME SLEEP BEFORE I CAN DIE" OW I LAUGHT AND LAUGHT AND SO SO DID SHE.. . THING WILL BE FINE. IF YOU WOULD LIKE I WILL SEND YOU SOME INFO THOUGH THE MAIL THAT WILL HELP YOU COPE..

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
funny thing I too had a odd thing occur when my mom died --I went to ohio for the funeral (i live in fla ) mom always said she turn into a cardinal (red bird) when she died --- well it seems that mom died late in the night at hospice and there was a bird feeder outside her window --in the middle of the night as she passed a red bird flew to the glass and sat there then flew off.my sister who was there said it was the darnest thing.

I went to the burial and was so bummed out that --I went alone to mourn a bit while fishing at a out of the way pond where as a kid I had seen huge bass but had never gotten one to bite -- while there I saw a big bass (one of the biggest I've ever seen in my life ) I threw my worm but as usual like when I was a kid --nope he wouldn't bite --then out of nowhere a red bird flew in landing on a bush a few feet away --suddenly the big bass lurched forward ate the worm and the fight was on --the bird sat watching it all , after I landed the bass and released it , the red bird then flew off-- I knew then mom would always be around if I didn't see her in her human form.

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey bryce,

sorry for your loss, thanks for posting that great story, i read your post last night and have to say it brought back more than a few memories for me

i had a similar thing happen when my sister died 2 summers ago, i was absolutely beside myself, just thinking about it over and over ... my wife told me to go get out and detect and that maybe it would somehow take my mind off it - just to "get away" even for a little bit, well i went to a place i had hunted many times with little success but for some reason on that day i started finding silver coin after silver coin - 8 in all

it somehow brought a smile to my face at such a terrible time and i really believe my sister had something to do with that ...
thanks again for sharing your story ....

take care,

kevin

cooltone23

Oct 24, 2007
Humble, Tx
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter IV
Heartfelt story Bryce. I know the feeling of loosing a loved one who is so close. No doubt that she has your back then and now. Keep 'em swinging.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for sharing your story Bryce.
It brought back memories of my three sisters and dad
who are no longer with us. I have three sisters,two brothers and mom left. Big family of eleven. Roger

OP
OP
silverfreak

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rodgerdodger said:
Thanks for sharing your story Bryce.
It brought back memories of my three sisters and dad
who are no longer with us. I have three sisters,two brothers and mom left. Big family of eleven. Roger
Thanks for reading it Roger. I hope 09 is a nice and safe one for us all

cooltone23 said:
Heartfelt story Bryce. I know the feeling of loosing a loved one who is so close. No doubt that she has your back then and now. Keep 'em swinging.
Thanks cooltone23. She is definately watching my back...and I need it :thumbsup:

vpone said:
hey bryce,

sorry for your loss, thanks for posting that great story, i read your post last night and have to say it brought back more than a few memories for me

i had a similar thing happen when my sister died 2 summers ago, i was absolutely beside myself, just thinking about it over and over ... my wife told me to go get out and detect and that maybe it would somehow take my mind off it - just to "get away" even for a little bit, well i went to a place i had hunted many times with little success but for some reason on that day i started finding silver coin after silver coin - 8 in all

it somehow brought a smile to my face at such a terrible time and i really believe my sister had something to do with that ...
thanks again for sharing your story ....

take care,

kevin
Kevin...thanks.....and thanks for sharing your personal story with me too. I'm sure your sister had something to do with putting that smile on your face that day...just as my mom did on mine. :thumbsup:

ivan salis said:
funny thing I too had a odd thing occur when my mom died --I went to ohio for the funeral (i live in fla ) mom always said she turn into a cardinal (red bird) when she died --- well it seems that mom died late in the night at hospice and there was a bird feeder outside her window --in the middle of the night as she passed a red bird flew to the glass and sat there then flew off.my sister who was there said it was the darnest thing.

I went to the burial and was so bummed out that --I went alone to mourn a bit while fishing at a out of the way pond where as a kid I had seen huge bass but had never gotten one to bite -- while there I saw a big bass (one of the biggest I've ever seen in my life ) I threw my worm but as usual like when I was a kid --nope he wouldn't bite --then out of nowhere a red bird flew in landing on a bush a few feet away --suddenly the big bass lurched forward ate the worm and the fight was on --the bird sat watching it all , after I landed the bass and released it , the red bird then flew off-- I knew then mom would always be around if I didn't see her in her human form.
Ivan....thanks for that personal story. I'd say the redbird was definately more than just a redbird my friend :angel7:

homer007 said:
IM SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS. 4 YRS AGO I LOST BOTH MY PARENTS TO CANCER 6 WEEKS APART. WHAT KEPT ME GOING IS WHAT I LERNED FROM THE BIBLE ABOUT THE WOUDERFULL PROSPECT OF MY PARENTS RESURRECTION HOPE. I KNOW THEY SUFFER KNOW LONGER. WERE THE ONES THAT HAVE TO KEEP STRONG, AND FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT... WITH TIME, IT HEALS.. MY MOM USE TO SAY THIS.. WHEN THINGS GO WRONG, THIS SHALL PASS. MY MOTHER WAS MY BEST FRIEND. SHE WAS A JOKER. I WENT TO SEE HER ON HER DEATH BED. I TOLD HER THAT I CAME BY THE OTHER NIGHT BUT SHE WAS SLEEPING SO GOOD. SHE TOLD ME," YEA, I DID SLEEP GOOD, BUT ITS A HELL OF A NOTE I GOT TO GET SOME SLEEP BEFORE I CAN DIE" OW I LAUGHT AND LAUGHT AND SO SO DID SHE.. . THING WILL BE FINE. IF YOU WOULD LIKE I WILL SEND YOU SOME INFO THOUGH THE MAIL THAT WILL HELP YOU COPE..
Thanks Homer007. I'm sorry for your loss too. I appreciate the offer...but I need to deal with this and cope with it my own way. My dad has gotten some material on how to cope as well....but I need to do it my way. :angel7: Take care...and thanks again
Yarrum said:
A truly memorable find. Thank you for sharing your story.
Thanks for responding Yarrum. I appreciate it.

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, and know it means a lot to find something in your grandparents yard. I found a knife in my grandparents yard this week. I love it. God Bless....

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A sign of a good man that loves his Momma so. :) She did a fine job raising you, Silver.

Wonderful story. I miss my Momma too.

Nana :)

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such a touching story. I've read it a few times over and the powerful message from your mom is very uplifting. I think we all got a lump in our throat from it.
I believe our parents are never really gone...you are part of your mom and dad and as long as you live and your children live, they will always be around.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Bryce,
I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. I really had to hold back the tears reading this post. I lost my dad about 15 years ago but still have my mom. We have been detecting her property for at least 3 years. Last year Nate and I presented her (on her birthday) a nice chest of the finds from her 1853 property.

Momwithtreasurechest.jpg

What's funny is that the items in the chest she cherished the most weren't the old coins or even the 1800's relics but the beat up hotwheels we dug up that my brothers and I use to play with as kids.

God bless.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread