Found a RECORD silver dime "Cache"!!!!!!!!

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
Re: Found a RECORD silver dime "Cache"!!!!!!!!

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! You really should give Whites a call, I bet they take care of you for the story! I also would like to see a pic of the box, not for proof, just curious to see what all of that awesome silver was in! That is a find of a lifetime so congrats!

Rich

Pangus

Jul 2, 2005
Georgia

great find! However, is it too much to show the box? I wanna know what a lunch box looks like after 40 years under ground. Is it a cool looking box? Is it a famous television character box? A simple work lunch box? It seems maybe everyone's a little gunshy about talking about it, but I came here to see the cool and precious stuff people have found. If someone dug up an EMPTY lunch box, I would find it just as neat! But again, great find!

My .02!
-Rich

OP
OP
xXx

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units

Thanks to everyone for the great comments.
I don't think I ever said anyone was doubting the find. I started the thread by stating that most good finds get too much question and negativity. Like Onionhead (onionrings). He was nailing the rings and everyone started thinking he was a fraud. I don't want anyone thinking that about my finds. That's why you won't usually see any of mine posted. I just really thought everyone would like to see this. I have seen questions from newbies asking if there are still good finds or cache's out there. Just wanted to show that they're still there.
I'm sending a photo in to Western & Eastern as well as Lost Treasure and White's. I'm not sure they want me posting any more photos before they get to, so I'm going to hold off until I hear from them. If they do decide to run a story then the photos will be there, many of them including the location of the cache and the box. Let me make sure I don't burn any bridges before I throw the photos around.
Thanks again guys (and gals) for the congrats.
xXx

popcorn

Jun 18, 2005

way to go . now where in mertal beach was this so I can find some . just joking ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's

i found 2 in one hole!lol that is a great find!congrats on top of congrats!

peace,bigrig

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon

Beautiful!! Makes me stop to think of all the "OVERLOAD" signals on the DFX that I did not dig. Good lesson.
Spotz

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe

Of all the finds that I've seen here so far, yours is the top, no doubt. I'm totally speechless. I would of ran home and showed my wife like a little kid finding a 20 dollar bill and left all equipment behind. :o

GL & HH,

DugHoles

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Congrats to you.........Wow! I just found my second silver dime last week. I thought I had something to get excited about! WTG!!

Keep us updated on any new finds!

Moon

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other

Hey Moon! Long time no hear. Glad to see you're back. HH! Chris

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice find. My guess on the 1955 is that it was the lowest mintage Roosevelt dime. It was immediately recognized by collectors as such, even in 1955, and was started to be hoarded even then. It wasn't until years later when the prices went up that people started selling their hoarded 1955 dimes.

Anthony

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro

You lucky son-of-a-gun! :o
Thanks for posting this .
You've probably inspired as much hunting time as any commercial ever seen on TV.
I'm way to happy for you to be cynical.
Let me get the new batteries in the garrett and I'll be back in a week after I hit every spot I can think of.

grizzly bare

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Someone asked who would bury coins in a box with a towel on them. I know the answer. I would.

My grandmother started saving dimes in the early 60s when the news came out about silver being gone-gone. She and my grandfather had an old country grocery store. Every night when the cash register was emptied and the bills carried next door to the house in a brown paper bag, she would empty the dimes and put them in Mason fruit jars. She called it her Christmas Fund. She stored the jar(s) in her huge old wardrobe. And as far as I know, she used them for her Christmas gifts. I have the old wardrobe and the house now and haven't found any dimes stashed away. The country store burned down in 1959, and I still plan on MDing that area, although they raked it pretty clean. Might be some coins out mixed in the gravel where the gas pumps were. That's a cool weather thing. I just got my Ace 250 in the summer.

What I see is someone deciding to bury the dimes after they had saved them up for several months upon hearing about them being discontinued. Maybe he/she even went to the bank and bought them in bulk. Scare tactics being what they were/are ("them feds will take that silver away from; you better stash it!") one day they started pouring them into the lunch box, digging a hole, wiping their hands on the towel, sticking the box in the ground, opening the box, and putting the towel on top of the dimes to help absorb moisture and keep dirt from getting into the box too bad. I doubt the burier planned to keep them there forever, but we all know how that goes. "Uncle Sam ain't gonna get MY silver!"

And if they did it with dimes, there's a heckofa chance they did it with other denominations, too. Might even find some silver certificates if he/she was into stashing "silver" items.

Ahhhh, the wondering and dreaming is almost as good as the finding... :D ;)

NOODLE

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That would have been my question. It was asked to show my desire for more information. This report is truly amazing as most caches are. I hope to find one some day. Both of your scenarios were good and possible. Good luck with your hunt.

Ed Donovan

A

agbonanza

OMG!!!!! :o What a find!!...A hearty congrats on the cache find of a lifetime!!..as far as the 1955 or lack there of...I'm guessing its the persons birth year too...only theory that make sense...HH

BobG

Oct 28, 2005

That's a wonderful find Dave.

I also want to thank you for a good day last Sunday. Not because of the finds, but for being a pleasure to swing a coil with and all the tips. I enjoyed it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread