Found a RECORD silver dime "Cache"!!!!!!!!

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Found a RECORD silver dime "Cache"!!!!!!!!

Due to criticism of great finds I had planned not to post this find from yesterday. But, I am so excited about it I have to show you.
So, yesterday evening, I decited to spend an hour or so detecting at an old abandoned house that I had gotten permission to hunt a long time ago. It was an open invitation to hunt at any time.
I'm poking around with a nice haul of clad from the grass driveway and I worked around to the back where I had never hunted before.
I'm in what looked to be an old garden when I got an Overload hit on my MXT. I pretty much dig everything anyway, and being an odd place for a large piece of aluminum siding or something I decited to dig it. I had about given up on it thinking I had a hot rock or something when I hit metal at about 8". I thought it was just junk at first. After I saw it was an old metal box, like a kids lunch box, I started to get excited. It was pretty rusty.
As it came out it was extremely heavy, letting me know there is something in it. I quickly opened it up to find a dirty towel. Inside the towel was 1,084 SILVER DIMES!!!! That's $108.40 FACE VALUE!!!! The oldest one is 1916 and they go all the way up to 1964 but stop there. It was as if someone knew that the silver was going to be of value and buried them for later.
I spent all last night seperating them by date. Funny, and curious, thing is that there is a bunch of each year except for 1955 which there were none at all. I can't figure that out. Any ideas?
xXx

Attachments

• Silver Dime Cache.jpg
    Silver Dime Cache.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 28,576
  • Silver Dime Cache 2.jpg
    Silver Dime Cache 2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 27,943
  • Silver Dime Cache 3.jpg
    Silver Dime Cache 3.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 27,480

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found a RECORD silver dime "Cache"!!!!!!!!

What a find!!!!! Congratulations!!!

No criticism from ME! :o

Nana ;)

AKiwi

Aug 4, 2005
Hastings, NZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500

What a find!!! I live in hope
Cheers

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Holy crap xXx........what a find! How bad did you mess your shorts? ;D

I might have to go back to Myrtle and visit some old friends.

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE

Man what a great find...and for not posting this..we would all have missed out ..to bad there are a few bad appels..any way the reason you do find lots of good stuff like this is the simple fact you dig everything and the sceptics well the probably dig only the very good signals
you said it yourself..it was so loud of a signal i almost did not dig it...i here that every time someone finds a cache..''IT WAS SO LOUD I ALMOST DID NOT DIG IT'''well i hope you continue to post all your finds..congrats on that cache H H

Gerry

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE

xXx said:
Due to criticism of great finds I had planned not to post this find from yesterday.? But, I am so excited about it I have to show you.
So, yesterday evening, I decited to spend an hour or so detecting at an old abandoned house that I had gotten permission to hunt a long time ago.? It was an open invitation to hunt at any time.
I'm poking around with a nice haul of clad from the grass driveway and I worked around to the back where I had never hunted before.
I'm in what looked to be an old garden when I got an Overload hit on my MXT.? I pretty much dig everything anyway, and being an odd place for a large piece of aluminum siding or something I decited to dig it.? I had about given up on it thinking I had a hot rock or something when I hit metal at about 8".? I thought it was just junk at first.? After I saw it was an old metal box, like a kids lunch box, I started to get excited.? It was pretty rusty.
As it came out it was extremely heavy, letting me know there is something in it.? I quickly opened it up to find a dirty towel.? Inside the towel was 1,084 SILVER DIMES!!!!? That's $108.40 FACE VALUE!!!!? The oldest one is 1916 and they go all the way up to 1964 but stop there.? It was as if someone knew that the silver was going to be of value and buried them for later.
I spent all last night seperating them by date.? Funny, and curious, thing is that there is a bunch of each year except for 1955 which there were none at all.? I can't figure that out.? Any ideas?
xXx
as far as the 1955 i bet that was the birth year of the person who put it in the ground

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

THAT IS INCREDIBLE!! congratulations!!? :o ill bet someone buried that casche when the gov declared that they were going to melt down all of the silver coins. what an awesome find!.........you can kind of sniff out a fake post ........no critisism here! this post looks real to me!!

Z

ZumbroKid

Nice chunk of change!

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Man alive, xXx...I should have known. Way to go, bro! You deserve it. I was going to call you, but I thought it might be too late since you stayed up all night last night with these coins.? Believe it or not, about the time you found the cache, I found one silver dime in the parking lot near my house. 1948 - no joke. I'll trade ya! Talk to you soon? 8)

Darren

PS - Who needs a dime from 1955 when you've got a Chevy? ;)

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I'm so glad you posted this, XXX.
I don't doubt you for a minute. Congratulations. :)

F

Floater

Not sure where the Criticism is coming from xXx, since 1955 is my birth year and I just had a heart attack myself when I read your story, please post as many great finds as you can or anyone else for that matter.

I can see why you separated them all last night, because just like me or probably anyone else here you wouldn't of been able to sleep if you hadn't. LOL :D

Great find and congratulations. HH
~Floater~

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE

Floater said:
Not sure where the Criticism is coming from xXx, since 1955 is my birth year and I just had a heart attack myself when I read your story, please post as many great finds as you can or anyone else for that matter.

I can see why you separated them all last night, because just like me or probably anyone else here you wouldn't of been able to sleep if you hadn't. LOL :D

Great find and congratulations. HH
~Floater~
i have to agree with floater i would not be able to sleep

that would be 108 oz at $7.00 an oz not bad $ 756.00

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

X,

that is one load of silver, congrat. on a huge find.

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Wow!!! for lack of a better word, what a find, Congrats!!!
I couldn't understand why anyone would have any criticism on what ya find, and if they do. who cares, your the one with all them great coins... Makes me think about the alka seltzer bottle full of old silver dimes my father buried when he was a kid. He buried them by an old apple tree in his back yard. The tree has been gone for many, many years. He said he looked for them several different times with no luck. We were never sure if someone else had found them or what. The property is no longer in the family, and I'm not sure if I could ever detect it, but I keep it in mind, and maybe someday I'll get over there to find out...
Good luck on ever topping that cache, & Happy hunting~

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505

Sweet find I have a house built in the 50s I am going to hunt assuming I can get enough time to. ?(I have been to busy with college latley to do much). ?One of my dads friends just recently found a clay pot filled with gold coins from the 1880's ?I dont know the whole story but I will try to find out and get some pics if ?I can. ?Great find Im still waiting to top my $1.32 in clad that I found in the yard of my uncles ranch house.

C

cm5838

wow, that makes me want to get out and hunt more.
charles

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

holy o smokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o You have set the bar pretty high ,I don't think I will will be able to ever match that one!LoL ,Great Job and Congrats!!!! ;D

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro

WOW!
Thanks for the great story and the added incentive to get out there and hunt. That may be a once-in-a-lifetime find but good luck on getting a better one.
grizzly bare

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho

WOW -- great find!!! -- Did you find the elusive 1946D Merc in that PILE of coins? way to go!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread