Now I am a believer !! There are silver caches out there !! 5 and 3/4 lbs worth!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cchunter

Feb 28, 2009
Brewster, Cape Cod MA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro / Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great find. I hope to have some of your luck! I do a little MD in Maine, up around Farmington. We have a cabin in on the side of a mountian with a few old celler holes near it. I will be up there this summer to find my cashe. :thumbsup:

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cchunter said:
Thats a great find. I hope to have some of your luck! I do a little MD in Maine, up around Farmington. We have a cabin in on the side of a mountian with a few old celler holes near it. I will be up there this summer to find my cashe. :thumbsup:

CC...PM me and I can send ya a couple links, one to a Maine forum, there are some members there from around the Farmington way and maybe you can get together. I also am in another forum started downt eh Cape Cod way and they also do alot of group hunts, so if you;re interested. PM me and I can send ya the links.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GreenMeanie said:
Now I will have to start digging those big signals again :(
Thanks

I know, I am cringing BIG time thinking of those Iron and overload signals I ignored as junk and walked away from without digging.... :tard: :icon_scratch:

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I've been so busy with other things that I've drifted away from TNet a little; glad I checked in tonight! What a find!

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Wow. That's all I have to say. If I were you, I'd write a letter to Tesoro (if that's the detector you used). You could get in an advertisement with that find. Absolutely unreal and a dream come true.

Ian

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There where a few people on here saying, if it was
"only 8 inches in the ground, the farmers plow would
have hit it, most plows go at least 12 inches in the ground",
if they would have read his post he also said he was close to
the trees, most farmers dont plow real close to the trees, or
none of them ive ever worked for does. read the post before
you start saying anything negative about an awesome cache !!!!!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
MaineRelic, you shall from this point onward be known to the world as TheGreatMaineRelicandCacheFinder. Your find is so big that everyone must be tempted to do a bullion value calculation for it. I tried to figure it out.

My brainy co-worker informed me that silver spot price is in TROY ounces (I didn't know that). A pound is not 16 troy ounces, its 16 regular ounces. Troy ounces weight a bit more than regular ones. Converting, 1 pound equals 14.58333333 troy ounces. US silver coins are 90% silver.

5.75 lbs X 14.583333 troy ounces/lb X 90% purity = 75.468 Troy ounces pure silver. Assume spot value about $12.50 per troy ounce, you get bullion value of $943.35. Back in the 80's when Bunky Hunt tried to corner the silver market your find would be worth close to $4000 bullion value.

I like to use the 10 to 1 ratio for average numismatic-to-face value of average old coins. Considering rarities and good condition, can this cache be in the 10 to 15 grand range or more?? I think yes.

drgest

Apr 6, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum II, Fisher 1280x
what can I say that hasn't already been said. Another congratulations. Every time I dig up a canning jar I start imagining what it would be like during and after. Puts a big ;D on my face. Give us an idea of what you were thinking during, right after and now.

Rickiowa2009

Mar 6, 2009
Cedar Rapids Iowa
Detector(s) used
GTP1350 Garrett, Xterra 705 gold pack and ace250!
What a find! You did good, I bet that heart was a pounding! Have fun!

MaineRelic said:
Yeap !! I am a believer ! I told my wife this early spring that my goal this year metal detecting was to find a 1700,s coin ! my oldest coin thus far was an 1841-O-1/2 dime I found this easter day in this field I had been working all spring! ( if you don't count a large cent I can't get a date from ) before this coin I had found 4 indian heads all in the 1800,s from this field earliest being 1863 but no silver!! HOWEVER I also found 2 colonial copper buttons in this field which were clearly hand made and had no trade mark of any kind ! I considered these 2 finds greater than the 1841-O-1/2 dime . This is why I was concentrating on this field cause I thought it would eventually cough up my 1700,s coin! Well today I did not meet my goal ! But I surpassed it in a way ! I hit a portion of the field near the woods that started producing spoons , 4 of them, Forks 2 of them , and a little bit of pottery ! Ah! a thimble!! not extremely old but relatively deep 6 to 8 inches. Most had been hit by the plow! I now of course suspected there was a house nearby at one time. I was close to the tree line that had actually crept in from the road into the field and decided to hit the strip of woods close to the road to see if I could find a foundation or other evidence of it. I saw an old chimney base about 10 yards off the road in the woods and was actually heading straight for it with M. D. on when I got a strong signal near a really big spruce tree about 20 yards from it ! I used my army shovel scince I was in the woods and did not have to worry about cutting sod and took a big ! scoop out ! signal still in hole GOOD . I THOUGHT I might actually get a silver out of this spot I had been working all week!! another shovel !! signal still in hole and very strong !! I was almost certain I had at least a silver quarter maybe even a half dollar!! scince my M. D. was screaming even with disc ! turned up quite high! Well I'm dragging this story out ! Here is what I found ! A red clay flower pot at 8 inches down filled with silver coins. Take a look, I found this at 5:30 this afternoon and have only had time to weigh what was in the red clay pot!! Yes 5 and 3/4# of coins !! Looks like the latest of them is in the 1940,s I have to go start cleaning and Take an inventory on what I found!! I will post a count later !! HERE IS A PIC OF COINS AFTER I POURED THEM OUT ONTO TO NEWSPAPER ON THE KITCHEN TABLE FOR MY WIFE!! I WILL GIVE YOU A COUNT LATER!! I actually stoped at the grocery store on my way home 2 by a bottle of wine 2 celebrate and I brought the bag of coins in with me and put them on the veggie scale ! 5 and 3/4 pounds worth!!!

Leeame

Feb 8, 2007
Grants Pass OR
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Good Golly Guy!
I am away from my computer for just a few days & miss ALL the fun! I now know what all that screaming was the other day! It was you all the way across the US of A, clear over to Southern Oregon. Wish my hubby was as interested in hunting as I was, so I could find something fun & exciting like that.

Congrats.......... All the way from Oregon>>>>>>>>>> :icon_sunny:

Lisa in
Grants Pass

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.
Re: Now I am a believer !! There are silver caches out there !! 5 and 3/4 lbs wo

CHA CHING

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
there have only been two or three posts here that I have forwarded to my pop in an effort to get him to buy a machine and join me. This is one of them. Can we see the pot??? It sure would help as I imagine what it must have been like to uncover the cache!
Congrats! You will have a hard time topping that one but ......you could!

THingfool

Feb 7, 2009
NE Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,1280-x,Cortes, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Every time I look at your pics, i have to smack my chest to get my heart going again. TOTALLY FANTASTIC find :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions