Now I am a believer !! There are silver caches out there !! 5 and 3/4 lbs worth!

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a six year old thread. 20101115002739_181_necropost.png

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Members including new members are allowed to read and post on old threads....Age doesn't change how amazing a find is...

dale b

Sep 9, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice i'm new to this good luck in your future huntings

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Members including new members are allowed to read and post on old threads....Age doesn't change how amazing a find is...

I agree - but by the same token, a very old thread such as the one with the 4 Fugios that keeps coming back should still be eligible for banner. Age does not diminish the awesomeness of the find and nearly everyone who reads the thread for the first time wants to vote on it. I joined two years ago and never saw it before. I'm open to hearing reasons for not allowing it, but your comment on age of the thread resonated with me because the condition of those Fugios is insane.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree - but by the same token, a very old thread such as the one with the 4 Fugios that keeps coming back should still be eligible for banner. Age does not diminish the awesomeness of the find and nearly everyone who reads the thread for the first time wants to vote on it. I joined two years ago and never saw it before. I'm open to hearing reasons for not allowing it, but your comment on age of the thread resonated with me because the condition of those Fugios is insane.

And again thread is over 4 years old, it does not qualify for banner now...

BenjaminE

Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My step-grandfather was raised in a Prohibition-era moonshine camp along some river, I believe around southwest Ohio. I do not know the name of the river, and would hate to guess. It might be the Miami river? I do not think that it was the Ohio river. Anyway, he was illiterate, and had to check traps, and fish, and hunt, pretty much everyday, to help put food on the dinner plate.

When his father was on his deathbed, in the late 1970's, he ordered his son (my step grand-father) out of the hospital room. My grandfather was quite upset at being made to leave his father's presence. Once he was gone, his father told his wife where he had buried a number of mason jars, in front of their mobile home, in Ohio. The mason jars contained about $7000 dollars cash. Immediately after his death, the family dug the money up.

I do not know whether this happens more often then we might think. I also do not know whether this was because of their background. My grandfather was an expert hunter, fisher, and trapper. But, it was not because he "enjoyed" it so much as he had to do it every single day, as a kid, probably instead of going to school and learning to read.

Also, I remember he shared an incident that involved a suspected federal(?) agent showing up in the community, I guess looking for illegal bootleggers. Apparently, the fellow was in some sort of restaurant. And, someone passed the waitress a gun. And, that was the end of the agent. He related this incident in a very matter of fact manner. I don't think that he was kidding around. Also, he never seemed to show any contempt for the government, in any other instance, that I can recall.

Aside from raising animals, and farming massive amounts of vegetables on his land, my grandfather grew grapes, and was quite good at making wine, in old wooden barrels. He made both grape wine, and dandelion wine, every year. Even when I was a kid, under the age of twelve, he saw no harm in giving me wine to drink. He even gave me a gallon of wine to take home. But, it eventually turned sour.

Anyway, if people have doubts about these cache stories, I can confirm that there was a cache(s) buried, and then recovered, prior to death, in my stepmother's family. Also, if my grandfather's father had died suddenly, I am fairly certain that no one would have ever known that the jars were buried in front of the trailer, in the yard.

Also, I would really like to know whether the moonshiners had a history of burying their profits, rather than depositing them in a bank account. If so, then it might be worth researching where moonshiners were previously busted, and then searching their old haunts for buried caches.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW happy for you Great MY TURN

Dec 13, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is fascinating. Sitting here wondering what happened to the person that buried it. There could be several pots buried around the property! Congratulations on the bucket list find. Can't wait to see those bad boys cleaned up.

olas13

Oct 12, 2004
Rhode Island,USA
Detector(s) used
Excaliber 2,minelab sov., whites surfmaster. tesoro.equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Incredible find! BANNER

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread