German Gold-Gulden Coin, 1480 !

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
German Gold. Wow and 1480. I think we were pounding copper over here at that time. Congrats on the banner sir.
TnMountains

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a superb treasure find :headbang:
and congrats on the Banner :thumbsup:

Did you find anything else nearby?

Mike

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all !

Thank you very much ! :thumbsup:

To sum up a little on all your questions, I can tell you that my first thought was a hoard, a large gold treasure dug down in that field, and a detector buddy and I have of course searched the area very intensively !! We have NOT found any more coins, and only very few finds at all, and only 1 or 2 that could be medieval. We will keep looking.
The find is strange in that matter that it is single, and a bit off everything. However there are 2 wellknown midieval fortifications in a rang of under 1 mile from the place.
Talking about age, I think that we here have an other view on that matter. I have found coins that are older (not gold, this was my first) but those were lousy copper ones, but from the beginning of the 1300.
On the same field there is a settlement from the stone age, dating back to 3000 BC. and we have found about 10 artifact from that time there.

Keep asking, if you want to know more ! :thumbsup:

PS:

Ashdowney said:
great find!

Thanks ....
... and great looks, I might add ! :wink:

(Sorry couldn´t help it, had to say ! )

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow the age alone is impressive then on top of that GOLD, and that thing sure has aged well. Congrats big time.

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Dane,

Congrats on a most beautiful coin.

I am very interested to see some pictures of the stone tools you have found on the site. I have seen a few Danish stone artifacts in the past, but would love to see some more. I spent a large part of my youth looking for American stone artifacts, and find the Danish flint work to be outstanding.

Thanks,
Jon Dickinson
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys ! :thumbsup:

In some few days the coin will be delivered to the museum.
In my country there is an ancient law, called the "Danefae-lov" that says that all things that are found in the soil is the "property of the King", today meaning the state.
Danefae is an ancient norse name meaning: Ownerless goods or No mans property.
The law dates back to the medieval law "Jyske Lov" from 1241, saying that, "what no man owns belongs to the King, finds any man gold or silver in tombs or after the plow or in any other way, then the King shall have it.
I will as compensation get an amount of money, tax-free, from the National Museum in Copenhagen.
The law, and the fact that any child knows about it, is of great importance for the studies of and knowledge about our common cultural heritage in my country.
This law has made it possible that, so to say, no danish artifacts get on "the black market", and that we today in the National Museum have one of the finest collections of antiquity and medieval in the world.

TheDane :) :coffee2:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheDane said:
Thank you guys ! :thumbsup:

In some few days the coin will be delivered to the museum.
In my country there is an ancient law, called the "Danefae-lov" that says that all things that are found in the soil is the "property of the King", today meaning the state.
Danefae is an ancient norse name meaning: Ownerless goods or No mans property.
The law dates back to the medieval law "Jyske Lov" from 1241, saying that, "what no man owns belongs to the King, finds any man gold or silver in tombs or after the plow or in any other way, then the King shall have it.
I will as compensation get an amount of money, tax-free, from the National Museum in Copenhagen.
The law, and the fact that any child knows about it, is of great importance for the studies of and knowledge about our common cultural heritage in my country.
This law has made it possible that, so to say, no danish artifacts get on "the black market", and that we today in the National Museum have one of the finest collections of antiquity and medieval in the world.

TheDane :) :coffee2:
I totally understand & respect that you follow the Law of the land, in the same way that I do in the UK.
However, I disagree that it stops your artefact's getting on the black market. They do. Our system is far from perfect, but you can encourage responsible reporting without taking 'everything' off the people that work hard to find them. The UK would go bust if it had to pay for all the objects we find, & they 'cherry pick' which means we still maintain a premier collection. The black market will exsist not matter what Laws we have, its Human nature.

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can´t say that I disagree with you, Crusader !

What I wanted to stress was the fact that such a law, and especially the awareness of the people towards this law, is importent for our country. People actually feel pride, when they can send in something to the National Museum.
But you are right, I wrote that to be misunderstood. Of course you can never 100 % prevent a black market.
English isn´t my main language. Danish and german are better.

Thank you
TheDane.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheDane said:
Can´t say that I disagree with you, Crusader !

What I wanted to stress was the fact that such a law, and especially the awareness of the people towards this law, is importent for our country. People actually feel pride, when they can send in something to the National Museum.
But you are right, I wrote that to be misunderstood. Of course you can never 100 % prevent a black market.
English isn´t my main language. Danish and german are better.

Thank you
TheDane.

Ok, no worries, your English is excellent.
I'm glad you & others have pride in sacrificing your hard earnt objects. If I found a hoard of gold coins, I would have no second thoughts in reporting it. However, I do this under the understanding that I either get them back, get some of them back, or get the market value. The market value means little to me, as money holds no interest to me. Recording the information for future study & getting the objects back is my preferred option. If they belong in a Museum, for everyone to see (& not locked in drawers), then I'm happy to part with them knowing that we all benefit.
Interesting to learn other countries approaches to the same issue.

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at that thing is a humbling experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions