Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
TheDane said:
Can´t say that I disagree with you, Crusader !

What I wanted to stress was the fact that such a law, and especially the awareness of the people towards this law, is importent for our country. People actually feel pride, when they can send in something to the National Museum.
But you are right, I wrote that to be misunderstood. Of course you can never 100 % prevent a black market.
English isn´t my main language. Danish and german are better.

Thank you
TheDane.

Ok, no worries, your English is excellent.
I'm glad you & others have pride in sacrificing your hard earnt objects. If I found a hoard of gold coins, I would have no second thoughts in reporting it. However, I do this under the understanding that I either get them back, get some of them back, or get the market value. The market value means little to me, as money holds no interest to me. Recording the information for future study & getting the objects back is my prefected option. If they belong in a Museum, for everyone to see (& not locked in drawers), then I'm happy to part with them knowing that we all benefit.
Interesting to learn other countries approaches to the same issue.

Much respect.

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go on a great find. And I especially liked the discussion between TheDane and the fellow from England, and the
different countries' rules. Perhaps this post could be sent to some of our elected officials, and they might see a different
way of doing business. Your rules predate the pilgrims crossing the Atlantic, even Columbus sailing to discover the New
World. Wonder if the new kid on the block, aka The U.S.ofA, could learn something from our older cousins?
Again, great post.

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hikeinmts said:
Way to go on a great find. And I especially liked the discussion between TheDane and the fellow from England, and the
different countries' rules. Perhaps this post could be sent to some of our elected officials, and they might see a different
way of doing business. Your rules predate the pilgrims crossing the Atlantic, even Columbus sailing to discover the New
World. Wonder if the new kid on the block, aka The U.S.ofA, could learn something from our older cousins?
Again, great post.

Talking about rules in the US.

How are rules in you country?

Are there things that must be given to museums, or can the finder always keep the finds? :icon_scratch:

Would realy interest me !

:thumbsup: :hello2:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will reply to your question the best I know how.
First, in S. Korea, I only know of one Korean person who has a metal detector.....saw a program about him a couple of times on t.v. He hunts beaches with his wife.....she is the digger. He makes tons of finds on the beaches he hunts.
Certain areas are off-limits, such as old castle sites, old Buddhist temple ruins, etc. Anything in the seas are off-limits to hunting.
And, I am pretty sure that anything that might have particular historic interest must be reported. But, to who, I have no idea.
I do have one object that myself and another helper have found, that I will be turning in to the museum nearest the place where we found it.
As far as coins go, we did do some research on them, and there are no restrictions on hunting the older coins.
So, things are pretty open for hunting coins, and there are many many public hiking areas, and the country has not developed
the "fencing" mentallity. Much more open to people in the hills, then in the States......even tho all the mts are owned by someone.
That's the best I can do about S. Korea's laws on metal detecting. I do feel very comfortable and fortunate in being able to detect here.

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, hikeinmts ! :thumbsup:

Very interesting to hear about S. Korea, do you actually live there, your avatar says the US ?

I was actually hoping to hear something about the rules in the USA too !

Maybe someone will enlighten me ! :headbang:

Oct 19, 2007
born in 3 sisters, tx. now living west of tilden
Detector(s) used
X-Terra70, X-Terra 50, Ace250, Ace150, GTI 1500,GTA 1000 Ultra, Tejon, Vaquero
Hi TheDane i think i located your coin online listed @ this
web site & it shows a value associated with it

http://www.vcoins.com/ancient/ritter/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=1730

from anouther web site i located this info.
Gold coin.JPG

Dave

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you guys !!

Not entirely irrelevant, gives me an idea what level the reward could / should be !

Thanks ! :thumbsup:

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, to TheDane,\
I do live in S. Korea. I own a small business here, so do my metal detecting here. I am from the U.S., Oregon State, but am
only back in the States once every 4 or 5 years. So, I do not know too much about the rules of metal detecting there, except
that any government land seems to be off-limits. (Someone correct me if I am wrong.)
Of course, approval for any hunting on pvt. land. And any Indian sites are off-limits.......if that were strictly enforced, then
there would be almost no hunting allowed anywhere, as the Indians lived in/on the land for centuries before the Europeans
got there.
Archeologists try to restrict THing as much as they can. Not like they will ever be able to hunt/do digs on all the sites that they
want put off-limits. Just, they don't want any of us to dig. (Is "selfish" the right word?)
Anything of any value, normally, will end up in court, as ne-er-do-wells try to get as much of a cut of the pie as possible......
along with the lawyers, who use the law to line their pockets. (Forget ethics. Just, can I win the case, by hook or by crook.
O.J.......are you listening?)
Other than that, you will get some good - better than my - info about rules, etc.

cjc

Mar 19, 2006
n/a
Detector(s) used
DFX, GQA2, (2) 'Cuda, Excal, (1 & 2) Sov. Elite, CZ20, Surf Dual Field...
Great coin, but get your own thread.
cjc

OP
OP
TheDane

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest: