"No Stamp Act 1766" Buttons

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70
Re: "No Stamp Act 1766" Buttons

What an incredible find!! So much history, I would have had a heart attack!
WTG!
Baggins

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

Words like 'Unbelievable' and 'Incredible' aren't up to this task. Sweet Jeebus, that items of this monumental rarity sat underground this long in a particular spot, and then you brought them to the light!!!

I think, scaling down from 'average antiquity' of European finds, this is on a par with Crusader's recent Henry I penny in terms of local rarity!

What the heck.. INCREDIBLE!!! I hope you get rich and pretty famous from this!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A big massive congrats on your Historical find, don't know much about your find apart from the obvious ::)but it seems like you have found the equivalent of hens teeth :thumbsup:

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

words can't discribe getting to see a find lie this

ty for posting

congrats on your historic find :thumbsup:

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Absolutely amazing finds! :o I'm with the others here, get out there and dig it all! :icon_pirat: Thanks for sharing that hunt with us. Many congrats to you!!!

Nana :)

burglarifyoulike

Aug 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

absolutely incredible!! and THREE!! you deserve to be basking in congratulations!! ENJOY!

T

trish76642

YEYYYYY I'm so HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!! :blob1: :blob10: :blob3: :blob5: :blob6: :blob7: :blob9: :notworthy:

Other than what these BRILLIAN T-Netters have told you about them, let us know what you else you find out, value, ect...i'd love to know.

WAY TO GO!!!! BIG ^5!

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro

~trish~ said:
YEYYYYY I'm so HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!! :blob1: :blob10: :blob3: :blob5: :blob6: :blob7: :blob9: :notworthy:

Other than what these BRILLIAN T-Netters have told you about them, let us know what you else you find out, value, ect...i'd love to know.

WAY TO GO!!!! BIG ^5!

I second that. Have you found any more info on them????

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't mean to negate or minimize anyone's finds here... But it is sad to me that these incredible finds received only 50 or so replies, while a 1916-D dime has accumulated over 160 replies in one week's time.

I'm bumping this thread up. The finds deserve more. :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

BuckleBoy said:
I don't mean to negate or minimize anyone's finds here... But it is sad to me that these incredible finds received only 50 or so replies, while a 1916-D dime has accumulated over 160 replies in one week's time.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

I agree Buckles. IMHO, this is arguably the most significant metal detecting find I have ever seen on the forum. If those were my finds, I would DEFINITELY be in contact with the Smithsonian. I would be proud if one of my metal detecting finds was on display in Washington DC.

Congrats again.

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin

BuckleBoy said:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Agreed, I do not not think the lack of interest is intentional, more along the lines that the buttons are not only an obscure historical item but so rare people are not sure just how to approach it.

One could liken this find to winning the powerball lottery, three times. That being said I hope others will take a few moments to acknowledge this incredible find. :thumbsup:

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy said:

Best Wishes,

Buckles

I agree....while I would be THRILLED to find a 16D Merc and think it is an awesome find, there were 264,000 of them minted...how many of these Stamp Act buttons were made? For most in this hobby...Coins are King and thus they will get the majority of notice when a key (or especially gold) coin is found.
I do think it is sad that more people don;t notice and realize the historical significance of a find like these buttons, however the 50 plus replies it has recieved would have been lucky to have been 20 replies a few years ago. Thus while buttons and relics still don;t get the attention the coins do...they are getting more and more interest and attention shown towards them, and deservedly so!! :thumbsup:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I agree....I would rather find a historic relic then a key date coin (unless the key date would pay off my house...lol).

I think it is just a knowledge gap. If you post in the title a 16D Merc then most likely 99% of the people on T-Net will know what it is and what it is worth. Then post the "No Stamp Act 1766" button and that same 99% of the people will not know what that is or how rare it is. Before I started detecting I knew lots of people that collected coins but not one that collected buttons.

I do feel these buttons are banner worthy but I don't run the site, hell I'm not even a Charter Member so I'm just glad they allow me to nose around in here. Over the last few years this site has given me an education that I could never get elsewhere. I've developed a appreciation of buttons and actually love finding them while hunting. In time the other T-Net members will come around to become fans of the mighty button.

Again congrats on three amazing buttons or should I say 2 and 1/2.

NJ

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy

WOW!! I had no idea that such absolutely wonderful rarities could really be found....of course Mel Fisher(RIP) is somewhere knowingly smiling on this one.

Dave

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Enough value here in this post to put a down payment on a HOUSE.

This is the best item, value-wise, on the banner right now--hands down.

Congratulations again,

Buckles

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Did you return & look for the rest?

Go slow, if you do return!

OP
OP
muttandjeeps

muttandjeeps

Jul 11, 2008
Moved from the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts t
Detector(s) used
The Equinox 800 is the only one I need...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We have been back to the site a couple of times, no other "1766" buttons, but we got our first coins there, 1749 Farthing and Halfpence, and my son found a 1787/88 Connecticut copper.
We decided to give the land owner one of the complete buttons. They are great folks who still operate a small family farm that has been in the family for about 100 years. The value on the buttons is hard to pin down, there really in no significant documentation on them, and there have been none recently sold to use as a benchmark.
This was our first find of such rare items. It is a strange and wonderful thing to be able to hold a piece of early American history in your hand and realize that this was the beginning of our country's fight for Independence.
Thanks to all for the kind words and informative posts.
Kevin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions