Finding 2 Old Cellar holes ,While searching for something else (new site Pics)

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
I agree, this post deserves more than 100 replies. John, everytime I research a new site, I'm always striving for these kind of finds and these kind of totals.

We just hit a site that yielded us 23 coppers in five trips. We know there's over 40 coins here, but we'll never get them all. The field is now no-till. >:(

Kyle

Bent-Twig

Jun 9, 2008
North Central Ohio
Hi Seeker,

The metal detecting finds are very nice, but you may be missing the larger part of the treasure at this site. The coins indicate a very early settlement. The cellar holes may very well contain more treasure than you think. A lot of time when a cellar hole was not used anymore it would be used as a trash pit. Many cellar hole have produced very nice bottles. If just one of those holes was used as a trash pit , you may find some very early and very nice bottles. Try your metal detector right over the holes and see if you get a reading for scrap metal. If you do , there is a good chance that bottles will be mixed in. There is some very cool history to the old bottles , not to mention some good $$ for the right ones.

Good luck on your future hunts , and I hope you find some bottles too!!

Twig.

OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking back to when I first discovered this site, it makes you sit and wonder how early settlers lived and survived in a time period like that....! The 1820s was a time when wilderness was everywhere. Hamlets, Villages and small settlements were all there was in this country...few larger cities and forts were here and there....this small settlement was so special I think bringing it back to life one more time and share the moment with some of the new members is like re living the adventure again! Enjoy...... john

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SUPER GREAT FIND!!!! Dig till its totally exhausted and then dig some more. There could be an outhouse somewhere close by which could be worth looking for close by the stream. Or a horse tie up rail by the trading post. Happy hunting

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT HUNTS !!!! My fav is the 1837 feuchtwanger , that alone is a super find. Check my avitar. :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions