Finding 2 Old Cellar holes ,While searching for something else (new site Pics)

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While this was one of those sites you never want to stop going to you know after a good month of detecting the pickens will be getting thin ,or you just have to work a little harder to find them.The finds ranged from 4 inches to 10 inches. While searching for a small settlement on what I believed one of the early Indian Paths back in the 1700's now a unimproved road, I found a small settlement 4 to 5 buildings once it included a post office . But we could not find the owner of the property but that will wait till spring .But down the road from that property was a creek mabe a quarter of a mile away and it just looked to good .With some old Appletrees as a give away I stopped and looked under the evergreen trees there it was a small depression an old cellar hole and it looked old with the round stones half gone it the soil.Now being pumped up and in search of the land owner the person owned much of the area on both sides of the road.

So next week a friend of mine Jeff R went to a site he wanted to go to an after a couple of hours and a few indians and relics I asked him to go and lets try a place I found ,I think this will be the one. It was the one ....we started detecting and within the first half hour I found 2 largecents, a war of 1812 artillery Button and a King Louis the 16th coin, Jeff was saying no way he could not believe it then finally he pulled out a large cent 1837 with a hole in it,a button and a few other pieces. Now that it was starting to get late in the day we ended up with 1 more large penny 1826 and more buttons.

The following Sunday we went back again Myself, Jeff and TimH Not knowing he would find the best two pieces well that happens , we got there at 7 :30 that morning and by noon I had found 7 large cents dating 1842 to 1818,1 bank of upper canada token ,1 king george copper a number of buttons,and the unknown Medal I showed earlier,Jeff finds 3 large cents ,one flowing hair with no date,Tim finds 4 large cent ,and 2 of the nicest finds a George Washington Penny (1795) and an Andrew Jackson 1829 President Button.Jeff and I said no way an we were wrong they were right there .Now I knew this site was old and never Detected By the end of the day we had a few more coins and Buttons. We knew where we were going next week and we did back to the site again and what happened next was the best I decided to go across the road on the other side of the creek and would you believe it another old cellar hole,so with Tim and Jeff over at the first one I decided to start detecting and right off a flat Button then another and the first Silver coin a 1834 Bust Half Dime with holes in it . Now Iwent over and told the guys and away they went both sides of the creek gave up more large pennies and buttons .

Over the next few weeks we found close to 60 coins and well over a hundred Buttons ,also the nice finds 1 small gold ring that was a signature very thin and old ...The items in the display are what I found at the site ,I am going to get some pics of the other stuff Tim and jeff found to post in the near future. We are trying Identify the 2 places since they were not on any of my early maps but one guess could be that they may have been an Early trading Post or Tavern site,,With the amount of Goodies that were all around..I just can't wait to go back since we have a lot of lake effect snow over the last couple of days the detecting will be on hold.. ...I have been Detecting for about 10 years ,I just enjoy this hobby and with doing some research you never know..and with a Little luck......John

Attachments

• Old Place 12-29-05-Rain and Fog 007 Medium Web view.jpg
    Old Place 12-29-05-Rain and Fog 007 Medium Web view.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 18,061
  • Old Place Granger 004 Large Web view.jpg
    Old Place Granger 004 Large Web view.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 20,225
  • Picture 069 Medium Web view.jpg
    Picture 069 Medium Web view.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 18,705
  • Old Place Pics revised 2-19-06 001 Medium Web view.jpg
    Old Place Pics revised 2-19-06 001 Medium Web view.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 18,687
  • Old Place Pics revised 2-19-06 005 Medium Web view.jpg
    Old Place Pics revised 2-19-06 005 Medium Web view.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 18,470
  • Old Place 12-29-05-Rain and Fog 007 Medium Web view.jpg
    Old Place 12-29-05-Rain and Fog 007 Medium Web view.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 17,830

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Finding 2 Old Cellar holes ,While searching for something else

WOW!!! That is one great site and one great haul you got there!Congrats,Good luck with the rest.HH

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

SWEET, I can only dream of such sites. I searched a old cival war era house and underground tunnels and where a barn used to be, but all I found was one measley indian that was so badly corroded I couldn't recognise it until a month later when I started scraping on it with a pocket knife to flake a bunch of corrosion off of it. There was a promising park where I have found seveal peices of old barbed wire about 7" deep. I think I found an indian there too. But they black topped over the whole area, and guess what, I never did get to go in there and detect after they stripped some soil off, I can't kick myself enoguh. >:( >:( >:(
Scav.

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rather rude of you not to save some coins for others, don't you think? I'm kidding, I'm kidding! :D I hope you guys go back there and find some more old silver and other cool relics. Clean it out and I look forward to seeing what else turns up there. :) HH

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

great job guys!!! congraTS :)

treasures4me2find

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2005
Murphy, N.C.

Sounds like it was a fantastic hunt, congrats on all your finds. Good luck upon your return.

Ken

L

lancemxt2006

great haul you got there seeker. if i were you i would be back there digging every crackle coming through my headphones.

keep it up and keep us posted...

HH Lance

R

rb

WTG!!!!! Man I need to start looking for old celler holes and have some good luck...lol RB

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would keep on searching for something else for the rest of my life. With luck like that. Great hunting. Post more of those goodies.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Wow! You guys hit it big! ;D
I've heard of these cellar holes....gotta find me one. Amazing that you would find so much at these. You are fortunate to live in a part of the country where these types of spots exist. How many hours do you think you and your freinds put in on those two "holes"?

Good luck on finding more.

Bob

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

John,
One question?...
how are you able to think about anything else???????????
i wouldn't be able to! lol
:) Congrat :)
any pics of the site?
HH

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like a spot of the life time.Amazing!!!!!! Congrats!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the great site and finds, what an exciting place to detect! HH, Mike

HEADHUNTER

Aug 30, 2005
North Central,PA

You have found what probally 99% of the forum are dreaming of finding...
Great job on you finds..And thanks for posting...

Headhunter

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

Congrats, nothing like being the first to hunt a site. You have a very nice collection. Great pics. trk5capt...

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Very impressive early history. Some times a hunch is all you need to put you onto a spot.

HH Jer

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think all the replies above just about says it !!!

Just WOW!!! Congrats on finding such a spot to hunt!!!!!

Nana ;)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Wow!!! Totally awesome, WTG!!!
Can you say, " Stop to smell the roses! "...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds! very impressive WTG.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread