My Oldest Token/Coin Yet!!!!!! *1669* New pics.New camera!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My Oldest Coin Yet!!!!!!

CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
timekiller said:
CRUSADER said:
Can you make out the letters, I have a book on these & could get a full ID.

Looks like:

HIS
PENNY
(in middle, strange, I only seen halfpenny & farthings) :icon_scratch:

IN ????????? 1669 (???= the place name)

Otherside shows a wool rack or something?? With the Owners Name? What letter & spaces do you see?
Front side has IN* DEED around edge * S,in middle says His PENNY II,On Back I see AMBL-I*2omBENOS I think.

Thanks,Timekiller

http://www.ncdot.org/doh/preconstruct/pe/ohe/archaeology/edenhouse/print/ambler.html

Read the story!

GOT IT!

AMBROSE AMBLER 1d 1669 Tobacco-Roll pipes

£85 in book, makes it pretty rare!

Yep, 85 makes it very good. Is it Yorkshire? Seems a lot are listed quite high. Being a penny it was expected though.

yeap, read the link about them turn up in the US.

I just found it after my last post. That is a great find, and can't believe there has been more found! I'd say a big tobacco smoker made his way to the Colonies! :thumbsup: ...or maybe one that quit and didn't use his pennies! ;D

I'd call that a banner find.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

To think I'm sitting here looking through the Spink, never would have thought there would be an American Google hit. You obviously must have just found it by fluke. I've only seen an early token like that found once or twice in the US. (posted I mean)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
timekiller said:
CRUSADER said:
Can you make out the letters, I have a book on these & could get a full ID.

Looks like:

HIS
PENNY
(in middle, strange, I only seen halfpenny & farthings) :icon_scratch:

IN ????????? 1669 (???= the place name)

Otherside shows a wool rack or something?? With the Owners Name? What letter & spaces do you see?
Front side has IN* DEED around edge * S,in middle says His PENNY II,On Back I see AMBL-I*2omBENOS I think.

Thanks,Timekiller

http://www.ncdot.org/doh/preconstruct/pe/ohe/archaeology/edenhouse/print/ambler.html

Read the story!

GOT IT!

AMBROSE AMBLER 1d 1669 Tobacco-Roll pipes

£85 in book, makes it pretty rare!

Yep, 85 makes it very good. Is it Yorkshire? Seems a lot are listed quite high. Being a penny it was expected though.

yeap, read the link about them turn up in the US.

I just found it after my last post. That is a great find, and can't believe there has been more found! I'd say a big tobacco smoker made his way to the Colonies! :thumbsup: ...or maybe one that quit and didn't use his pennies! ;D

I'd call that a banner find.

I agree, its in better than average nick as well. Great story, if it could speak.

I hope the finder records it to help your understanding of early settlers!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
To think I'm sitting here looking through the Spink, never would have thought there would be an American Google hit. You obviously must have just found it by fluke. I've only seen an early token like that found once or twice in the US. (posted I mean)

I found it in the book first, then googled. :icon_thumright: It needs recording, any ideas of trusted researchers etc?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:

I found it in the book first, then googled. :icon_thumright: It needs recording, any ideas of trusted researchers etc?

One thing that's great about it being a token is it probably made it to the Colonies and was lost very early, not like most coins that stayed in circulation for many years.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:

One thing that's great about it being a token is it probably made it to the Colonies and was lost very early, not like most coins that stayed in circulation for many years.
Is Timekiller still on line :dontknow: somebody should tell him not to clean it :P

I agree for the Banner :thumbsup:

SS.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:

The more I think about this, the more I believe you could almost find the name of the guy who lost it :o If he were from Leeds & went to the nearest port & they have records linking him to near where he lost it etc....

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
CRUSADER said:
Iron Patch said:

Is Timekiller still on line :dontknow: somebody should tell him not to clean it :P

I agree for the Banner :thumbsup:

SS.

I'm not going to mess with it anymore. Ya'll convinced me to leave it alone. Thank you for all your help!!! You guys are great!

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Timekiller,

You are really killing time with those finds lately! That 1669 coin is KILLER! That knee buckle is sweeeeet! :headbang: :notworthy: It sure is fun to hunt the Colonial animal. :hello2: :laughing7:

Keep the passion high!

Kirk

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

timekiller said:
Iron Patch said:
Would make sense the same person lost them all, and Eden House has early enough history to support a find like that.

http://ncdot.org/doh/preconstruct/pe/ohe/archaeology/edenhouse/early.html

I'm guessing you're fairly close Timekiller?
Iron Patch,
I am on the southern end of Pamlico Sound. Edenton is about a 3 hour drive away but is closer than that by water.

timekiller

Interesting.

It's long to get into, but our detecting group best finds story is three 1800s tokens that are from hours away but somehow made it to one field here. The shop burned and most tokens were lost so they were extr. rare. As a matter of fact there hadn't been a recorded sale for one since the 1950s and off one site we found 3! All are in dug condition and look it, but the one that has been sold so far brought 5k. You really never know what you'll find.

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think a better picture would have this on the BANNER. Great find! Congrats

riverdolphin

Jul 5, 2009

That's amazing! I know you have to be so excited right now. I vote banner!

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice find there congrats.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

That has to be pretty rare over there, especially in that condition :o

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here are some more pic guys.But gota say my camera is not all that.My wife is trying now I'm to shook up. :laughing7:

Attachments

• 000_0227.jpg
    000_0227.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 6,848
  • 000_0228.jpg
    000_0228.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 6,832
  • 000_0229.jpg
    000_0229.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 6,823
  • 000_0230.jpg
    000_0230.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 6,797
  • 000_0231.jpg
    000_0231.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 6,748
  • 000_0232.jpg
    000_0232.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 6,717

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp

Ohh, you've got a good spot there :icon_thumleft:

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

WOW. :o

I would go back and dig everything in all metal. Then rent a dozer, knock a few inches off the top and do it again.

BANNER :icon_thumright:

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Timekiller, you are working one heck of an early homesite there. :headbang: The buckle pieces alone are enough to get my blood boiling. I vote banner for the 1669 coin!

Keep on digging the Colonial North Carolina dirt with the passion! I have been viewing your past finds and my mouth is still hanging in amazement! :notworthy:

Kyle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread