Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: RARE 1916D MERCURY DIME

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    URBAN DISCOVERY !

Nov 2004
    NC
    WHITES DFX, TESORO
    13 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: RARE 1916D MERCURY DIME

Quote Originally Posted by True_Metal
    Hi? Old_coin2

I have always felt that cleaning coins is no big deal and should not reduce their value. I on the other hand do not set the rules in Numismatics, and pro coin collectors and graders seem to think that cleaning coins messes them up by putting scratches on them. Even cleaning with soft bristle toothbrushes will put fine scratches on coins that stand out easily under a microscope. Best to leave rare or valuable coins alone or just soak them over time to clean them. Rubbing them between your fingers will also induce scratches, so keep that in mind. 8)
    I can tell you a few things I've learned about cleaning, but let me state for the record that after all the years hunting,
    I've seen very few silver coins that come out of the ground that actually need to be cleaned, silver in the ground does
    not tarnish, normally and the dirt washes right off, so why do you want to clean a silver coin ?
    I can tell you why most do, and that's because they are new to this hobby and everyone always asks "did you clean your coins"
    leading new people to believe they have to clean everything. On a rare occassion, silver will come out of the ground
    "stained" in some places by ?tanic acid? from leaves or other organic material in really acitic ground, soap and water (this is ok)
    does not remove this... so mine still have these stains....
    but as far as devalueing a coin, well collecters prefer the most perfect speciman they can get. cleaning with more than soap
    and water, as in using chemicals, literaly takes some of the metal off the coin and can be seen under a good loop..
    Here is a big example of damage I did, even without cleaning ...
    this 1833 bust half dime I dug last weekend looks very good to the naked eye...
    but on closer examination, you can see hair like scratches in front of the face. these are very fine scratches but since you
    see silver through them, then they were made after recovery...
    No I did not clean it, or clip it with a digger..
    I believe these were made when I dug the coin and "rubbed the dirt off" while I still could not see what I had.
    Now since I've never dug a coin like this, and never expected to dig one, .....
    I was very careless about even getting the dirt off of it straight out of the ground..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1833COIN.jpg 
Views:	18376 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1833COIN.jpg 
Views:	18327 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	62842  
    URBAN DISCOVERY !
    DISCOVERING, RECOVERING, PRESERVING AMERICAN AND WORLD TREASURES ONE PIECE AT A TIME

Jan 2005
    Westerville, OH

I saw one on Ebay going for about 5000.00

Carl in CO

264,000 produced. Low denomination. Small and easily lost. It's very plausible the 1916D could pop out the next plug. They're out there waiting to be found! That baby would buy a lifetime supply of batteries. No chance I'd put that in my book. I'd sell it. I'd be just as happy looking at all the other mercs.

us
    Feb 2005
    Amber Waves of Grain!
    White's MXT Pro, White's XLT, Tesoro Tejon
    5 times

Hi there, Thats a great find!!! One thing that I was always curious about though, is the fact that the 1914-S Quarter has the EXACT same mintage as the 1916-D Merc, but the value is a considerable amount less. I wonder why that is HH!

Fox
    If you search long enough, you will find what you are looking for.

Jan 2005
    Cohoes NY
    Whites XLT

The Mercury dimes, ever since they were first minted, have always been thought of as being one of the most artistic American coins minted. As a result, there has always been a demand for these beauties.

The entire Barber series, dimes, quarters, and halves, on the other hand, have always been thought of as being just a copy cat coin. For the obverse, Charles Barber pretty much copied the Morgan dollar, faced it the other direction, and made some changes minor changes. The reverse was pretty much just a copy of the Seated coin series. The coin was never really considered to be all that artistic, therefore the demand was never really high, and part of the reason it really only lasted 24 years, and why the changes to the series where made in mid 1916 as opposed to waiting until 1917.

I do think though, that collectors are starting to realize that there are a great many less then one million minted Barbers out there now and I have noticed in the last year or two a sharp increase in the values of these coins. I do not think most of them will ever have the value of the 1916 D Mercury dime, but they are sure to double and triple in there current values soon.

Anthony

May 2003
    long island ny
    white's dfx Bounty hunter landstar

us
    Sep 2004
    TX
    Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
    3 times

Most folks only dream of finding one 1916D dime, but to find two, the odds on that are astronomical. Very Very Nice!!!!

Nov 2004
    surfside beach sc

great coin cleaning does hurt the value as does the nicks, however it still should bring 1500$ or so not a bad find at all
    if there is a show near you that PGCS is at bring it in, you may be able to get them to tell you if it would be worth grading without paying after all the guys in the booth do have to leave to eat luch, corner one as for a lot of the other services I would not waste my time or money sending it to them PCGS is the standard ANACS is good too

in good condition it lists at 750 PCGS you have at least an ef which is about 4700, but the clean and the nicks drop it down there are plenty of collectors who would jump at the chance for a coin like that but it is treasure and the rule I live by, and my wife bugs me about, is you don't sell treasure if it can be helped

again what a find hmmmm 1916d or a 5 dollar gold what would I rather find tough choice

Darod

That is one beautiful coin you've found there!

Maybe,...just maybe,....one day I could be so luck to find one. Odds are, I won't be that lucky!

Great find,...and you found TWO! Unbelievable!

Your my hero,...for real!

Rod

Mar 2005
    Merrill,Wi.

Nice merc "Ive often wondered what it would be like to make such an awesome find
    congrats man" when is it my turn?Groundfisher

coin toss

ok i have a 1916 S is it any were near in price as the D.come on baby daddy needs a new detector LOL!!!

tank

this pile of junk is listed at $795.00? http://www.jakesmp.net/AAA_giffile/C...0399/0317.html

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2005
    West Michigan
    A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
    206 times

I'd call it an EF detailed coin with a "net grade" of XF because of the rim nicks and cleaning.

Current "fair market value" = in the area of $3500

Red book would be higher BUT no one pays redbook for coins unless they are inexperienced.

Dealer to dealer (aka as wholesale value) would be in the $2800 range

if sold directly to a dealer, they would try to get it for appox. $2500 (if it is authentic) but will go up to the current wholesale value if you know how to speak the lingo, and barter coins.

Best place to sell it in that cond. would be ebay (but) I would send it in for grading and authentication 1st because people will not pay for unslabbed "key date" coins that could possibly be fake/s.

it would go for close to if not the current "fair market value" if slabbed authentic, and in the grade I believe it to be...

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    59 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

that is one very sweet coin and id keep it for a few more years before even thinking about selling it. keep on digging !!!
    ALLEN

us
    Celtic Treasure Hunter

Apr 2005
    Southeastern Ireland
    2 times
    Banner Finds (1)

That's a great find! Very lucky to find a rare date like that.
    The only ones for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the sky.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsors