Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: RARE 1916D MERCURY DIME

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    coin toss

Re: RARE 1916D MERCURY DIME

ok i have a 1916 S is it any were near in price as the D.come on baby daddy needs a new detector LOL!!!

2. # ADS
    Ads
    TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

tank

this pile of junk is listed at $795.00? http://www.jakesmp.net/AAA_giffile/C...0399/0317.html

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2005
    West Michigan
    A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
    193 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

I'd call it an EF detailed coin with a "net grade" of XF because of the rim nicks and cleaning.

Current "fair market value" = in the area of $3500

Red book would be higher BUT no one pays redbook for coins unless they are inexperienced.

Dealer to dealer (aka as wholesale value) would be in the $2800 range

if sold directly to a dealer, they would try to get it for appox. $2500 (if it is authentic) but will go up to the current wholesale value if you know how to speak the lingo, and barter coins.

Best place to sell it in that cond. would be ebay (but) I would send it in for grading and authentication 1st because people will not pay for unslabbed "key date" coins that could possibly be fake/s.

it would go for close to if not the current "fair market value" if slabbed authentic, and in the grade I believe it to be...

us
    Ace250man

Jul 2004
    Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let me detect!
    ace 250
    54 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)

that is one very sweet coin and id keep it for a few more years before even thinking about selling it. keep on digging !!!
    ALLEN

us
    Celtic Treasure Hunter

Apr 2005
    Southeastern Ireland
    1 times
    Banner Finds (1)

That's a great find! Very lucky to find a rare date like that.
    The only ones for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the sky.

PrizmIV

WTG that 1916 is worth around 1250-1600 DOLLARS!!!

mercurydime

even with the imperfections, you won't find many in this condition. an awesome coin.

mercurydime

how about a picture of the second one you found?

May 2003
    Garrett GTI 2500 & XL500 SEAHUNTER-PULSE

Here is the other 1916 D Merc that I found in a house yard . Notice the nick that I made with my probe. I've been told that it is considerd AG grade.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1916dMercAG(side1).jpg 
Views:	16622 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	69465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1916dMercAG(side2).jpg 
Views:	16522 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	69466  

Dowsing/LRL Opponent

Jul 2003
    The United States of Texas
    1 times

Wow Swanie... I think with the nicks in BOTH of those dimes I'd find another method of probing. Possibly a plastic probe?

I don't use a probe at all. I just dig the target and pop it from the resulting dirt clod...

Still yet, those are some awesome finds!!!
    Remember, the kid you leave home today
    will be voting tomorrow. Take a kid detecting!!

rusty nails

AY - CARUMBA !!!

Apr 2005

NICE FIND!!!!! Check out this site your coin maybe worth more than you think.
    http://www.bestcoin.com/us-mercury-dimes.htm

Charter Member

Mar 2003
    So. Cal.
    52 times

That site is right on the $$$.
    I just got my most recent copy of Coin World's "Coin Values" and it also indicates about $800 current value in G condition.

Jul 2005
    Massachusetts

Incredible finds. Congrats

Apr 2005

BTW You should have the rings appraised. Take them to your local jeweler and ask for and apprasal for"insurance purposes" rather than their estimated value and let us know what there apprasied value are..........curious!

Again....Great find!!!

May 2005

That is nice coin....

What about 1936 is that worth anything?

Jul 2005

very nice coins indeed !! the nicer of the two should grade XF and the other AG, dig marks or not, those two holes should easily pay for your detector. a grading service would authenticate them but not grade them, if you were thinking of selling, definately get them authenticated, and definately "ebay" them, dealers like to buy coins like that for 10% of actual value, then sell them for full price and explain that "a circulated coin may have circulation marks" and BTW that 1833 Bust is just gorgeous !!!

Jul 2005
    Findlay Ohio
    Whites M6

Very nice coins, im going to play the newby and ask the question I have and others might as well. What exactly is encapsulation? Im not a dealer or collector (other than wheatbacks, the most common old coin found) thanks for the info and I hope this isnt considered hijacking a thread.
    What am I doing so far away from my Civil War relics?

us
    Seek & Ye Shall Find

May 2006
    Midwest
    Fisher1266- CZ 20 MinelabXS
    9 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Very nice find-I always get excited when i find a 1916 merc and hoping/ looking for the D" Mint mark! I stopped using steel probes after a hunting buddy gouged a 1876 Seated half 1-tough..If I do use one GoSlowly that signal isn't going to run away from you!

Mar 2005
    Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
    11 times

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponsUSMC
    Very nice coins, im going to play the newby and ask the question I have and others might as well. What exactly is encapsulation? Im not a dealer or collector (other than wheatbacks, the most common old coin found) thanks for the info and I hope this isnt considered hijacking a thread.
    when you send a coin out to one of the major grading houses, when they grade your coin, they encapsulate it in an airtight coin holder for you as part of the service. when you sell the coin, it is a way that the buyer can tell that they are getting what they are paying for since the holder is sealed.
    GTI 2500/ACE 250

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsors