RARE 1916D MERCURY DIME

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd call it an EF detailed coin with a "net grade" of XF because of the rim nicks and cleaning.

Current "fair market value" = in the area of $3500

Red book would be higher BUT no one pays redbook for coins unless they are inexperienced.

Dealer to dealer (aka as wholesale value) would be in the $2800 range

if sold directly to a dealer, they would try to get it for appox. $2500 (if it is authentic) but will go up to the current wholesale value if you know how to speak the lingo, and barter coins.

Best place to sell it in that cond. would be ebay (but) I would send it in for grading and authentication 1st because people will not pay for unslabbed "key date" coins that could possibly be fake/s.

it would go for close to if not the current "fair market value" if slabbed authentic, and in the grade I believe it to be...

M

mercurydime

even with the imperfections, you won't find many in this condition. an awesome coin.

OP
OP
Swanie1

Swanie1

May 6, 2003
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & XL500 SEAHUNTER-PULSE
Here is the other 1916 D Merc that I found in a house yard . Notice the nick that I made with my probe. I've been told that it is considerd AG grade.

Attachments

• 1916dMercAG(side1).jpg
    1916dMercAG(side1).jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 16,755
  • 1916dMercAG(side2).jpg
    1916dMercAG(side2).jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 16,667

Gold Digger

Jul 21, 2003
The United States of Texas
Wow Swanie... I think with the nicks in BOTH of those dimes I'd find another method of probing. Possibly a plastic probe?

I don't use a probe at all. I just dig the target and pop it from the resulting dirt clod... ;)

Still yet, those are some awesome finds!!!

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That site is right on the $$$.
I just got my most recent copy of Coin World's "Coin Values" and it also indicates about $800 current value in G condition.

DiggerDude101

Apr 19, 2005
BTW You should have the rings appraised. Take them to your local jeweler and ask for and apprasal for"insurance purposes" rather than their estimated value and let us know what there apprasied value are..........curious!

Again....Great find!!!

redbird

Jul 29, 2005
very nice coins indeed !! the nicer of the two should grade XF and the other AG, dig marks or not, those two holes should easily pay for your detector. a grading service would authenticate them but not grade them, if you were thinking of selling, definately get them authenticated, and definately "ebay" them, dealers like to buy coins like that for 10% of actual value, then sell them for full price and explain that "a circulated coin may have circulation marks" and BTW that 1833 Bust is just gorgeous !!!

WeaponsUSMC

Jul 26, 2005
Findlay Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Very nice coins, im going to play the newby and ask the question I have and others might as well. What exactly is encapsulation? Im not a dealer or collector (other than wheatbacks, the most common old coin found) thanks for the info and I hope this isnt considered hijacking a thread.

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find-I always get excited when i find a 1916 merc and hoping/ looking for the D" Mint mark! I stopped using steel probes after a hunting buddy gouged a 1876 Seated half 1-tough..If I do use one GoSlowly that signal isn't going to run away from you!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
WeaponsUSMC said:
Very nice coins, im going to play the newby and ask the question I have and others might as well. What exactly is encapsulation? Im not a dealer or collector (other than wheatbacks, the most common old coin found) thanks for the info and I hope this isnt considered hijacking a thread.

when you send a coin out to one of the major grading houses, when they grade your coin, they encapsulate it in an airtight coin holder for you as part of the service. when you sell the coin, it is a way that the buyer can tell that they are getting what they are paying for since the holder is sealed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread