RARE 1916D MERCURY DIME

Swanie1

May 6, 2003
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & XL500 SEAHUNTER-PULSE
A number of years ago I was detecting in a park, here in the Midwest, and popped up this 1916D mercury dime in the outfield of the ball diamond. At that time, I didn't know enough about caring for silver coins so I decided to clean it with simichrome polish. Also, notice the two nicks I made with my poker. What a dummy!!! As you can notice, it is still a 1916D and has good detail. A couple of years later I popped up another 1916D in AG condition in the front yard of a house. I didn't post a picture of that one..

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Awesome coin! Even w/ nicks and cleaning, this is still worth $$$. Tough lesson, though. Great find!

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say that coin would still go for a couple of thousand. I wouldn't admit to cleaning it! 8)

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd certainly still buy it from you if you ever wanted to sell it. Just send me a PM anytime! Nicks or no nicks. 8)

T

Texan43

Great coin...if it had of been a 1916 D you would have hit the jackpot!!!!

OP
OP
Swanie1

Swanie1

May 6, 2003
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & XL500 SEAHUNTER-PULSE
Based on what you see in my pictures and my description, , would it be worth my while to send it to ANACS for grading or would they bother with it since it was cleaned and has the nicks on it? What would you folks think it would grade for as an estimated guess?
thanks

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
some slab services refuse to grade cleaned coins and others will put it in a special holder and call it damaged. exanimo, ss

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hello,
I'm new here and am just getting started in the sport.. or whatever you wanna call it :) . I found a dime similar to the one above mine is dated 1944. It is pretty worn but no dings or nicks. the outline of the face is still pretty good, what would you fellows think it may be worth?

that sure is a nice lookin dime you got up there, a hard lesson learned about those nicks.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Scavenger welcome aboard 8) What you have is a Winged Liberty Head Dime. Aka Mercury Dime. Going by the grade you said yours is in (Good to possibly very good) according to my current price books it is worth between 75 Cents to 1 Dollar. That year was minted in high numbers unlike the 1916 D pictured above which only around 264,000 were ever minted, hence why they are worth a pretty decent sum of $$$

scavenger

Oct 21, 2004
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre (Soon to be teknetics T2SE)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thnaks true_metal in that case i'll keep it :)

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swanie1,
There are slabbers that will slab your coin. Just need to call around first and find out which one with the best reputation will not slab it. Don't even bother with PCGS, they will just rip you off for your money and send your coin back to you. I wrote them a long letter asking why they didn't charge a discounted rate when they sent coins back "in a body bag" as they call it in Numismatics. They said they were still giving an opinion and that was worth the money they were charging. To which I countered that they didn't have the extra time and expense of encapsulating. Essentially after this, they said this was the way they did things and tough luck. I tried to explain to them that this would bring them more business, but they didn't see it that way. The top dog in the grading business (PCGS) are a bunch of snooty folks who really treat their customers like crap, so as I said above make some phone calls before you spend your money to be denied encapsulation. And, yes, this coin, or any 16 D Merc is always worth encapsulating. The value on this coin has gone through the roof. I would say it is THE most in demand coin on the market today. Present values of a coin in the condition you have there would most likely be over $1000

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that info Coinshooter. Its good to know who the snobish, holier than thou attitude asswipes are in that business in case i ever run across a coin like this, so i can avoid them right from the start! 8)

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chuckered said:
There was only 264,000 of them made which isn't much as far as coins go.

Just as Chuckered and i had stated Rosevelt. 264,000 is a drop in the bucket compared to millions of other years minted of the Mercury dimes. If you get lucky and pull on of these babies from the ground do not clean it! leave it as is or you might screw yourself royally out of some $$$$ if you decide to sell it. The 1916 D's are going to do nothing but go up in price as the years roll along so keep that in mind

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions