Giant house filled with tons of cash and antiques!!!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Depends on where the house is located, whether its going to be worth "a ton of money". Alot of larger homes located in downtown older neighborhoods are in the decline as far as property values. If the relatives want to sell it fine, rent a storage unit and move everything into it to be gone through at your gf's families leisure. I dont understand why that its been about four months since she passed away and no one has been appointed executor of the estate yet . Where is the will and who was her attorney. Probally the same one that her husband when living had....Get the relatives together, make a plan of action and take it. Clean up the house,search it thoroughly and sell. Anything that was taken or sold after the grandma died will have to be deducted from the amount each sibling receives. The bank has records of what transactions went on with the uncle who was suppose to be power of attorney, and you can go to jail for misusing that power. He has to provide reciepts, records of what was disposed of and why.

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
have you thought about taking out a loan and buying the whole place ffrom them? lock stock and barrell

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigticket said:
diggummup said:
I hear you and I know exactly what you mean.When my great grandad(born 1893) died years ago ,I remember everyone in the family fighting over who gets what.I was just a kid so I didn't have a say in anything.He lived with us my whole life until a month before he passed.We moved across the river out of state so he moved in with a great uncle of ours.Needless to say they took everything.A living will is a must nowadays, if you want your property to go to the right people.I just wish I had some small momento of his, to remind me of him and the times we shared together.He was the one who got me interested in coins and antiques and such.Now all I have are faded memories....... :( :(
That is really too bad what happened to you, but if you just want a memento, maybe you can still get one somehow.
Also, you mean a regular will. A living will is about what you want to happen to you when you are still living (medical care, etc.).
Duh,yeah your right.Obviously,I haven't done either myself.As for a momento,I doubt it.My family stretches all over the U.S. and many are very estranged .I have aunts, uncles ,cousins,nieces and nephews i've never even met before.Not to mention a granfather in Tennessee somewhere.I'm talking full blooded not step or half or anything.Imagine that!

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
the proper term might be container but here in the real world it is still a dumpster....go to any construction site in the South and ask any worker you see where the container is.....you will be laughed all the way back to your little red bug..........g

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG!!!!
I love these post and I hope you find more

-GC

bigticket

Nov 9, 2005
diggummup said:
bigticket said:
diggummup said:
I hear you and I know exactly what you mean.When my great grandad(born 1893) died years ago ,I remember everyone in the family fighting over who gets what.I was just a kid so I didn't have a say in anything.He lived with us my whole life until a month before he passed.We moved across the river out of state so he moved in with a great uncle of ours.Needless to say they took everything.A living will is a must nowadays, if you want your property to go to the right people.I just wish I had some small momento of his, to remind me of him and the times we shared together.He was the one who got me interested in coins and antiques and such.Now all I have are faded memories....... :( :(
That is really too bad what happened to you, but if you just want a memento, maybe you can still get one somehow.
Also, you mean a regular will. A living will is about what you want to happen to you when you are still living (medical care, etc.).
Duh,yeah your right.Obviously,I haven't done either myself.As for a momento,I doubt it.My family stretches all over the U.S. and many are very estranged .I have aunts, uncles ,cousins,nieces and nephews i've never even met before.Not to mention a granfather in Tennessee somewhere.I'm talking full blooded not step or half or anything.Imagine that!
Either? I only suggested one thing. And you should not whine about not having a memento if you are going to give up. Surely you can get ONE.

bigticket

Nov 9, 2005
gldhntr said:
the proper term might be container but here in the real world it is still a dumpster....go to any construction site in the South and ask any worker you see where the container is.....you will be laughed all the way back to your little red bug..........g
It was a JOKE, junior.

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Rarely do I delve into the foray of terminology, but in the case of "dumpster" versus "container" I couldn't help it.

Doing a quick dictionary.com search, yielded the following definitions of each term:

Con?tain?er
1. A receptacle, such as a carton, can, or jar, in which material is held or carried.
2. A large reusable receptacle that can accommodate smaller cartons or cases in a single shipment, designed for efficient handling of cargo.

Dump?ster
A trademark used for containers designed for receiving, transporting, and dumping waste materials. This trademark often occurs in print in lowercase: ? [The street is] lined with low-cost apartment buildings and strewn with blue dumpsters? (Chicago Tribune).

Apparently, no arguing that each item is a space of which other items are stored within.

keyword seems to be "waste". Dumpster is assumed to contain waste, while a container contains material but careful not to use the word "waste". Can't see why a dumpster could not have non-waste material while a container could have crap in it. By the same token, the old cliche of "trash is another's treasure" could be used.

Now I remember why I rarely delve into these sort of things. Who cares what it's called? There is no "proper" term, I don't care what is argued to the contrary.

BTW, aaron7 when are we going to see the coffee can full of silver!

HH!

-Hunter

OP
OP
aaron7

aaron7

Aug 24, 2005
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Sorry guys! I haven't gotten an email saying there were replies! I will get a pic of the silver to post! The reason no one is assigned the executor is because all of the relatives are greedy and refuse to appoint one person! Also, there was no will. The house is in a very nice area and worth approx $600,000 , which is the rason they want to toss everything!!

bigticket

Nov 9, 2005
The funny thing is, in some places a $600,000 house is not even that nice.
You cannot complain about the stuff, though. There would really be a problem if the relatives wanted to keep all of that, so your girlfriend's family is much better off when it comes to that stuff.
As for the vehicles and the house, hopefully the judge will be honest.

OP
OP
aaron7

aaron7

Aug 24, 2005
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
The big update you were all waiting for!!

Here are some pix of the silver!!

1abafd90.jpg

e05e24ad.jpg

a69324db.jpg

e2c5de66.jpg

K

Kentucky Kache

diggummup said:
I just wish I had some small momento of his, to remind me of him and the times we shared together.He was the one who got me interested in coins and antiques and such.Now all I have are faded memories....... :( :(

Sounds to me like he left you a pretty good memento. Every time you practice your hobby, every time you get enjoyment out of what you do, that's his gift to you.

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Great story!!! The suspense is killing me... I can't wait for the next installment and pictures!! Amazing finds!!!
Thanks for sharing aaron7. In addition to the things you have already posted, what other treasures have you run into?
Happy hunting (a phrase especially appropriate in THIS circumstance!!)
Bob

OP
OP
aaron7

aaron7

Aug 24, 2005
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Whoa, hey, I don't think anyone meant it as seriously as you thought!

As for an update, I have found a couple unopened model kits (a Dodge Dart from 1975, and a plane). I also got that gun indentified. The small one with the octagon barrel is a 1890's American Bull Dog, and the writing on the butt was translated on another forum for me:

The characters are (top to bottom, right to left):

mei ji ni hachi nen ichi sna ichi gou
dai (couldn't find) (can't make out)

This was using Kodansha's Compact Knaji Guide and Kodansha's Furigana Dictionary

The closest I am able to get is that the first two characters are indeed Meiji, the period of that emperor was from 1868 to 1912. ni hachi nen is lit: 2 8 year, probably an abbreviated 28th year, which would put the year at 1896.

ichi san ichi gou is most likely "131st edition" (also an abbreviated form), the last character on that column is a counting character, and translates to "edition" kind of a quantifier.

The first character in the second column translates to "big" and I couldn't make out the last two characters all that well. From what they look like, though, they are not "general use" characters in modern Japanese, may be archaic, or may be parts of a name or maybe a place like a shop.

The parts of the last character that I can make out are related to a lid and covering or shelter.

L

Lcplthogersen

Wow that is a lot of neat stuff and wow a lot of coins it is a collectors dream come true. I am envious of you but also I understand you have went through a lot of stuff to get to that neat stuff. I hope it all works out for the best and good luck dealing with the #$^% in the family. It is an unfortunate situation and maybe is why the owner was the way she was.

OP
OP
aaron7

aaron7

Aug 24, 2005
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Went to the house again today and snapped a TON of pictures. Wish there was a way for me to share them all, but there are 68 of them!

We found another sword today, very long with lots of gold and an ivory handle!

Also Dolls, comics from the 50's, etc

A very good haul!!

I've included some pix to show you I'm not kidding about the way this house is packed!

7290464b.jpg

f2e70ef7.jpg

54f1dcd1.jpg

8ca3bbb3.jpg

e7b0f8d4.jpg

60a4828e.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread