Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 1873 Doubled LIBERTY Indian Head! Rarest of all....!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2007
    Virginia
    Minelab Xterra 70, Vibra Probe 570,Ace 250 w/Sunray Probe, Glock 27
    3 times

Re: Is this what I think it is???

Fo Sho, double Liberty!

The top as far as I.H. cents are concerned. Find a reputable coin dealer and SLAB that coin.
    You better obey.

us
    Aug 2009
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by cheffer
    I knew I had found an Indian Head, but didn't check it out until I got home. When I looked in the Red Book at the 1873 IH, I saw the "double liberty" variety, and I think that's what I have here...tell me I'm not going crazy!
    What you have there, is the lesser version of the Powerball lottery. If the back side of that coin looks as good as the front side, you're going to send it off to PCGS and get it certified and graded ASAP -- and I'd take out the insurance on it!

Even in dug condition, it might be worth thousands of dollars, it looks at least XF40 to me, maybe better. Need to see a much higher resolution image of both sides. PCGS says only 122 are known to exist. ** Been staring at it, it's definitely the "Closed 3" variety, and the break in the "D" on the left side matches other doubled-LIBERTY examples. You got a winner! Get it slabbed!

Greg

us
    Mar 2009
    Olympia Wa
    White's Id10t
    15 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

holy smokes!!!! thats awsome!
    im still waiten to find my 1st one!
    what ever your looking for, KEEP DIGGING! Dank

May 2005
    Maine
    Minelab Etrac Fisher F75 SE
    14 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Congrats on the rarest of rare Indian!

us
    May 2006
    The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
    White's DFX
    24 times
    Banner Finds (1)

An absolute DREAM find Steve!!!.........beautiful dug error Indian!!

This is BANNER ALL DAY LONG in my opinion ..........and I hope the moderators see it for the rarity that it is.

Great job bringing a highly collectable coin back from the dead.

Congrats!!

HH all!

Greg

us
    Sep 2006
    lost in Wisconsin
    Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
    7 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Holy CRAP !!!!!! And the detail is amazing, it'll probably come back witha grading of "damaged", but you should get it authenticated, it probably has "MS" details, AWESOME dig !! Definately banner.
    I noticed that no-one really utilizes all the signature space provided, so I figured to be REALLY original I would make up the longest signature that I could and probably just leave it as one big run on sentence because all that punctuation just takes up way too much space-HH.

us
    Jun 2009
    Long Island E-end
    Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
    70 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Nice mint error variety IH the R T and Y also is a error Banner coin for sure Good Hunt Dd60
    http://www.treasurenet.com/f/index.php?topic=6822.0
    If Mother Earth give,s us precious metals like gold silver copper and iron why leave them in the ground to disappear forever , dig them out and save History !!

4-12-2011 Retired from the Rat Race by Choice

us
    Psalms 23

Oct 2007
    Where the grass is blue
    Bounty Hunter Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
    6 times

Thats a good fine!!
    >IN GOD WE TRUST<

Quote Originally Posted by vayank54
    Wow. It sure looks like a double liberty. In the pics it looks like you can see at least part of the diamond shapes on the ribbon. If so it would grade about Very Fine to Extremely Fine. In VF that coin books for $1,200 in EF $2,400. A dug coin is going to be worth less than a nondug one but it is still a super nice coin.
    seriously you guys are nuts on coins
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT, YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' - me 25/06/08
    How do you find Gold coins? Reply: 'By finding lots of Silver ones..'
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground.' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.
    "Power attracts the worst and corrupts the best"- Edward Abbey
    ONE LIFE - DETECT IT

us
    Jun 2009
    Long Island E-end
    Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
    70 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Quote Originally Posted by CRUSADER
    Quote Originally Posted by vayank54
    Wow. It sure looks like a double liberty. In the pics it looks like you can see at least part of the diamond shapes on the ribbon. If so it would grade about Very Fine to Extremely Fine. In VF that coin books for $1,200 in EF $2,400. A dug coin is going to be worth less than a nondug one but it is still a super nice coin.
    seriously you guys are nuts on coins
    Have you not found a doubled hammered Roman
    Silver denarius error coin 81 BC ?
    If Mother Earth give,s us precious metals like gold silver copper and iron why leave them in the ground to disappear forever , dig them out and save History !!

4-12-2011 Retired from the Rat Race by Choice

Sep 2004
    Western Mass.
    Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
    192 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Wow, thanks everyone for your responses. Woke up this morning with an overwhelming urge to get back into those woods today!

I haven't taken new pictures of the coin, but I really have no doubt, the doubling is SO strong, even without magnifying. The reverse of this coin is as beautiful, if not more so, than the obverse. I know it won't grade super-high, and PCGS will probably say "improperly cleaned" and "environmentally damaged", but I'm going to send it out regardless. By far the best thing I've found after 7 years of detecting.

Thanks again, hopefully I'll be posting a picture of a 1916 D Merc later today........

Steve
    seek and ye shall find sayeth the Lord

us
    Oct 2006
    Mass
    F75
    27 times

What time?

Charter Member
    us
    Watch For Motorcycles

Dec 2009
    St. Charles County, Missouri
    Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000
    116 times

Holy Jumpin'!!
    I usually stay away from the Banner button but today it has become a trampoline!
    When detectors are outlawed, only outlaws will have detectors

Nice find Cheffer! Really great shape too. I think, with better pics, it should make The Banner! Congratulations!!! Hogge
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800--** British 31st ROF Cartridge Box Plate** SOLD!! (PRIVATE AMOUNT)...To be continued

us
    Dec 2007
    South Central PA
    48 times

Quote Originally Posted by cheffer
    Wow, thanks everyone for your responses. Woke up this morning with an overwhelming urge to get back into those woods today!

I haven't taken new pictures of the coin, but I really have no doubt, the doubling is SO strong, even without magnifying. The reverse of this coin is as beautiful, if not more so, than the obverse. I know it won't grade super-high, and PCGS will probably say "improperly cleaned" and "environmentally damaged", but I'm going to send it out regardless. By far the best thing I've found after 7 years of detecting.

Thanks again, hopefully I'll be posting a picture of a 1916 D Merc later today........

Steve
    I Think PCGS don't grade dug coins.. I could be wrong... might want to call/email ahead before shipping
    some people call me the creeper ,cuz they don't know my name or face - Alice Cooper

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links