1873 Doubled LIBERTY Indian Head! Rarest of all....!

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update April 13th: please see below...

I knew I had found an Indian Head, but didn't check it out until I got home. When I looked in the Red Book at the 1873 IH, I saw the "double liberty" variety, and I think that's what I have here...tell me I'm not going crazy!

Was very careful with it, only wiped it once gently with a nylon brush. I'll try to take some closer pictures of it in higher res, but here's a close-up....

It'd be an awesome find if it is. Would it be worth getting it graded?

Still shaking...

Steve

UPDATE: Wow, thanks everyone for your replies and votes, it means a lot. Two different dealers have confirmed the authenticity of this coin. About XF condition, suggested that I do indeed send off to ANACS to grade. Man, I'm thrilled to have such a special coin.

I went back yesterday, but was unsuccessful in finding anything else of value. A beautiful stretch of woods, very close to a lake, the perfect setting for spring detecting. Amazing that I found this Indian Head within ten minutes of a half-hour hunt after work...but then yesterday was out for three hours without any signals save shotgun shells.

No matter, these old woods must have more secrets. An old estate is close to where I was, just a matter now of zeroing in on the hot spots!

I took some more photos, I'm sorry they're not great, but I don't have a good camera. The reverse as you can see is pretty much the same as the obverse condition-wise, save some dirt that I'm afraid to touch....

1873IHR.jpg

Thanks again all,
Steve

UPDATE Well, I got the coin back from ANACS, good news is that they saw fit to give it AU50 details, but, of course, marked it "heavily corroded" and "scratched". Not surprising since it spent 130 years or so in the dirt.

Dave, you had it right on, Closed 3 Snow-1 FS #101 (formerly FS1-009). Once again, I consider myself EXTREMELY fortunate to have found such a rare coin in this shape! Proves to all of us that they're out there!

I'm submitting the photos to W&E, I hope this coin might make their Top Finds. Then I will probably sell, I haven't really decided yet.

Happy hunting,
Steve

berkshire mike

Oct 30, 2006
Mass
Detector(s) used
ORX
Re: Is this what I think it is???

.....looks like a good one steve! Been a good week for ya.......lets get out tomorrow

even as a dug coin that's got to be worth a nice chunk of change

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola

Wow. It sure looks like a double liberty. In the pics it looks like you can see at least part of the diamond shapes on the ribbon. If so it would grade about Very Fine to Extremely Fine. In VF that coin books for $1,200 in EF $2,400. A dug coin is going to be worth less than a nondug one but it is still a super nice coin. :hello2:

trapper bob

Mar 22, 2005
mid-michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinshooter 2, Garrett GTA 1000 Ultra, Bounty Hunter Landstar, Bounty Hunter Lonestar

Nice Find!! Looks like the real deal and in fantastic shape!
CONGRATS hh bob :hello2:

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer

Congrats. I hope it is. Yea worth taking somewhere and double check it.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:
KW

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

Knightwalker said:
Congrats. I hope it is. Yea worth taking somewhere and double check it.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:
KW
Don't need to get that double checked the L an the I is quite obviously doubled to the untrained eye....

Oct 19, 2007
born in 3 sisters, tx. now living west of tilden
Detector(s) used
X-Terra70, X-Terra 50, Ace250, Ace150, GTI 1500,GTA 1000 Ultra, Tejon, Vaquero

1873 closed 3
URS 9

BREEN# 1986; SNOW - 1
FS #1 -009

INTEREST RATING *****
Double Die Obverse (I-O-V)
Type of Variety is strong doubled, as is the eye, and the feather spines. Closed 3
PUP: LIBERTY
VALUE: Very Good - $400, XF - $2,500, AU - $5,000, MS64RB - $20,000, MS65RB - $$55,000 (actual sales)

Comments: This is considered the "chief" of the Indian cents varieties. Demand for this variety is very high, and can be sold easily.

All info. is from the book by Bill Fivaz & J. T. Stanton
THE CHERRY PICKERS GUIDE
TO RARE DIE VARIETIES
FORTH EDITION - VOLUME ONE

Cherrypickers guide.JPG

Dave

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No doubt about it!!BANNER!! :icon_thumleft:

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Fantastic find, and wonderful condition for a dug Indian; lucky for you the ground was gentle with it!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

that is a very nice IH!!!!!!!!!! :o MR TUFF

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ok now I am going to have to get all mine out and look for the double liberty. Congratulations that looks in great condition.
TnMtns

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia

Fo Sho, double Liberty!

The top as far as I.H. cents are concerned. Find a reputable coin dealer and SLAB that coin.

hammong

Aug 29, 2009

cheffer said:
I knew I had found an Indian Head, but didn't check it out until I got home. When I looked in the Red Book at the 1873 IH, I saw the "double liberty" variety, and I think that's what I have here...tell me I'm not going crazy!

What you have there, is the lesser version of the Powerball lottery. If the back side of that coin looks as good as the front side, you're going to send it off to PCGS and get it certified and graded ASAP -- and I'd take out the insurance on it!

Even in dug condition, it might be worth thousands of dollars, it looks at least XF40 to me, maybe better. Need to see a much higher resolution image of both sides. PCGS says only 122 are known to exist. ** Been staring at it, it's definitely the "Closed 3" variety, and the break in the "D" on the left side matches other doubled-LIBERTY examples. You got a winner! Get it slabbed!

Greg

dank

Mar 18, 2009
Olympia Wa
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

holy smokes!!!! thats awsome!
im still waiten to find my 1st one!

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the rarest of rare Indian! :icon_thumright:

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

An absolute DREAM find Steve!!!.........beautiful dug error Indian!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This is BANNER ALL DAY LONG in my opinion ..........and I hope the moderators see it for the rarity that it is.

Great job bringing a highly collectable coin back from the dead.

Congrats!!

HH all!

Greg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread