1875 English Penny, used as id tag. Tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this 1875 English Penny and it had the name C.C. Moss stamped into it. I thought I recognized this name from someplace but I could not remember at the time. I do a lot of Civil War research and have several books relating to regional history here in southern Missouri. A few days later it occured to me where I knew this name from. After checking the book I found a soldier named Chas. C. Moss. He was referred to as C.C. Moss a few times in this book. He was in the Phelps Regiment of Greene County men and was wounded at the battle of Pea Ridge Arkansas. After the war it said he was elected Sheriff in Greene Co. Later on he was a Tinner. It appears he used this as a id tag, possibly for his saddle? I don't know for sure, but it has two slots cut into it like a belt would secure it to something. I found this along a creek in Greene Co. I will have to do more research but if I am lucky I will find a decendent and give it to them. I have found a few items with peoples names on them but this was the first one I was able to find who they were. The last picture has info about him, it starts about the middle of the page. Thanks, Tsgman

Attachments

• cc moss coin.jpg
    cc moss coin.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 4,646
  • 1875 eng cent cc moss.JPG
    1875 eng cent cc moss.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 4,610
  • phelps reg bookl cover.JPG
    phelps reg bookl cover.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 4,605
  • info on cc moss.JPG
    info on cc moss.JPG
    15.7 KB · Views: 4,593

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
Re: 1875 English cent, used as id tag. Tsgman

wow that is neat :o . found a metal ss# card foud out were he died but have not found any kin as yet. that find is way to cool :)

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Whoa, that is a one of a kind...directly tied into history. That's probably one of the coolest things I've seen on this site...a personal belonging of one of history's notables. Here's to you and Sheriff Moss! Congrats!

HH!
TBGO

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WTG Gman great post. That is one fine find!!! Good luck finding descendants. Burdie

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Green County:For City Marshal?Charles C. Moss, 107; J. B. Hickok ("Wild Bill"), 63; James R. Mays, 57; Thos. O'Neil, 3; Gott, 1.

WILD BILL'S TESTIMONY.

When I got where the fuss was, the police took a man off a horse. After they had got him off the horse, Chas. Moss came and took hold of him; he did not appear to want to come with the police; kept talking, and when they got opposite Jacob's store he commenced scrambling, and they threw him down the second time; then they took him along to where Ladd keeps grocery, and by that time one of his comrades came up; those they stopped; Samuel Coleman commenced talking, and the one who was killed had tied the horses at the blacksmith shop and came up and joined them at Ladd's, or near Ladd's grocery; the two Colemans wanted to stop the police and have a talk with the police; from that they got to jarring worse and worse until they commenced shooting; the first I saw of the shooting I saw John Orr jerk his pistol and put it up against the man and shot; did not see whether James Coleman had a pistol or not; his back was to me, and Samuel Coleman grabbed a stick and struck, but I do not know whether he struck John Orr or Charles Moss, and as soon as the first shooting was done Orr turned and shot Samuel Coleman; the crowd scattered around, and some person, or persons, grabbed the first man arrested and ran off down town this way; we pulled the man up on the platform and intended taking him into Ladd's, but he was locked up, and he was then carried to the drug store of N. P. Murphy & Co. The affray commenced first opposite the Lyons House and closed opposite Ladd's grocery, on South street, Springfield, Missouri.
J. B. Hickok

http://thelibrary.springfield.missouri.org/lochist/records/Jul1866b.htm

He was in Company D..GREENE COUNTY'S PART IN THE BATTLE OF PEA RIDGE.....Company D, Capt. John W. Lisenby, wounded by rifle ball in left shoulder, buckshot in left hip, and minie ball through each leg; 1st Lieut. Robt. P. Matthews, wounded through upper part of right breast, the ball lodging against the right, shoulder blade; 2d Lieut. Chas. C. Moss, right hip badly bruised by a piece of shell; 1st Sergt. ,Jacob Winger, buckshot in right eye, destroying the sight; 2d Sergt. W. W. Langston, wounded in the hand; Corporal James H. Cochran, musket ball through the right foot; Private Blanton Cargile, by minie ball in the left hand; James M. Logan, musket ball in the left leg; Wesley R. Logan, grapeshot through left arm, rendering amputation necessary; Wm. M. Patterson, musket ball in abdomen; Theophilus C. Piper, musket ball in right thigh; John Steele, musket ball in right leg; Young White, rifle ball in left arm.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is really,really cool!! Great dig and great research. :)

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Gypsy, that is a cool story. I have read some items on that site but missed that particular one. My GG Grandfather was also a sheriff of Greene Co. He was the 4th one and was in office two terms in the 1870's The famous picture of Wild Bill wearing his Union frock jacket with the Eagle belt plate and both pistols in his holster in reverse, came from a relative of mine. They sold it a few years ago, it was in a family photo album. Dan Fouts bought it a few years ago. Fouts was the Quarterback for the San Diego Chargers football team. He collects old Cowboy photo's. I was told he paid twelve thousand dollars for it. You know the saying you can pick your friends but not your relatives! Tsgman

Attachments

• new_FE3147~1.jpg
    new_FE3147~1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 4,465

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Moss, Charles C, d. 03/15/1894, Plot: 24 0 1618, bur. 03/15/1894

Buried at
Springfield National Cemetery
Springfield, Greene County, Missouri

check out "Nine Months in the Infantry Service: The Civil War Journal of R.P. Matthews and Roster of the Phelps Regiment, Missouri Volunteers" edited by Jeff Patrick (Greene County Historical Society, Springfield, Mo. 1999).

"We unanimously decided to call our Regt. the "Phelps Regt." So our organization did not take a number of designation, but went on the records under the name of its commander and will stand on the pages of the nation's archives as the "Phelps Regt. Mo. Vol. Inf."

"Nine Months" at p. 49

Copies of this book were available at the Wilson's Creek NBP bookstore and through the Greene County Historical Society

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

That's really awesome Tman. When you can make a conection like that. The coin is a farthing right. About the size of a nickle or a little larger. I have a few. They hold up really well in the ground. They turn a really nice dark green to.

Congrats on a really cool historical find. It's a unique item to have. One of a kind.

HH Jer

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

More.....................

MOSS, CHARLES C. CPT 1 Jun 1862 Green Co, MO- 21 Dismissed 25 Dec 1863 - medical

phttp://thelibrary.springfield.missouri.org/lochist/records/Jul1866b.htm 705.
State of Missouri Plaintiff
vs Felonious Assault
Charles C. Moss Defendant
=============================================

Greene County, MO.
1883 Pensioners on the Roll

Certif Name Cause for which pensioned Monthly rate Original date
171931 Charles C. Moss gsw right foot 5.00 Aug 1880

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have to research it, but I've been told that I have two TX ancestors...one was a train robber who got hanged (Judd B.) and one was one of the first TX Rangers (forgot his name, but have it somewhere)...one on both sides of the law. I wonder who I take after...? ;)

HH!
TBGO

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GMAN! 8) WoW!

I think out of all the finds you have shared with us that has to be my favorite!

VERY NICE!

Nana ;)

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks everyone, Jer, this coin is bigger than a quarter but smaller than a half dollar. Tsgman

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

This an excellent find Tsgman!!CW has alway's been at the top of my list.Good luck with finding next of kin,that would be great.Can't wait to hear the end of this one either.Good luck and HH!!

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I Love that tag!! great find buddy!! sweet reasearch gypsyheart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks guy's, JD, I will call you in the am. Tsgman

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

tsgman,

WOW!
how cool is that?????????
WTG ;)

Gypsy...you are such an asset to this forum...
thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread