Happy Happy Gypsy PLUS Money Tree PICS

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I couldn't stand it any longer.....I had to hunt....but where? Everything here is frozen rock solid .....As many of you know,I live along a lake that was formerly the river ,before the big floods in early 1900's. I live on one of the original curves of the river and decided to follow it to see if any of the sand banks would be diggable . I remembered seeing bottles earlier this fall up one of the banks and thought I would check that out. These were on a steep bank about fifty feet up from the lake. I pulled myself up by using the trees and overgrown honeysuckle vines. As we have alot of snow yet,I could makeout bare patches of ground with shiny bottles and lots of rusty items,so headed for those. I didn't take my detector ,because I figured I would be just digging bottles.I started shifting through a pile of broken bottles, pottery,stoneware and old metal...when I found the dumbbell..." It's a sign", I thought...LOL...... No wonder everything was broken....The iron dumbell has a stamp on it # 7....it was so cold, it frosted when I brought it in the house....I only had brought a small garden trowel and I started digging....flattened out buckets and larger pieces of old tin covered the area, so it took forever to drag off them off the pile because they were so frozen into the ground...the tin resembled the kind that was on ceilings in the1800's...I kept pulling,digging and getting caught in the vines...LOL...Finally I lugged off a sheet of tin and there was the Blue pitcher with the swastika on it....I was so afraid to move ,because it was encased in dirt...and only the top was exposed...dig.... pray ' its in one piece'......dig ...pray 'pleeeeeease be in one piece'.....I pulled it out and began to wipe the mud out of it when I heard ''clink" Thats when I pulled out the Atwoods Bitters Bottle , so blackened with mud I didn't know what I had until I got home .....I was so happy with the pitcher, that I thought that was enough for the day ...thats when I saw another spot of blue....I started digging and same thing...mud covered Blue Windmill pitcher along with the taller bottles ...I carried those finds home and got Carhartts on and went back but only found broken items.....So bright and early this morning I was back out there...this time warmly dressed with pick and shovel.I moved more rusted metal and thats when I found the skates,the iron and the misc. rusty pieces . ...my knees were rubbed raw from kneeling on that cold metal...I started for home and half way down the hill I spotted the old brown jug ,it was under a huge oak that had its roots all exposed ...you could crawl right under the tree where the dirt had washed away..so of course I crawled right in there...I started digging around with my hands and thats when I saw more bottles and the tan little stoneware jug....the tan jug was full of dirt......By this time I couldn't carry everything, so I stashed it all under the tree and went home to get some buckets and small daughters to help. The girls helped me carry all my treasures and we started cleaning them as soon as we got in....I had cleaned the pitchers and some of the bottles the night before and had been admiring them ,even tho they are pretty damaged and cracked. We had everything laid out on newspaper in the basement and were scraping and washing off mud and dirt in the utility sink...I placed the small tan jar in a five gallon bucket of warm water to loosen the dirt and mud ...and started swishing it out...thats when I caught a glimpse of silver....My heart stopped and I kept swishing ...more silver and thats when the 1937 Merc dime appeared.....Yeehaw!!!! and I started yelling for the girls....and then another 1919 five cent piece...then the Indian cents ,1893,1890 and 1899 appeared and honey I tell ya...I know what heavens feels like....LOL....I took the last clump of dirt out and crumbled it and thats where the last two pieces were ...1900 Morgan and the 1942 Liberty....There was alot of dancing going on in that basement with mama and two little girls....I talked to one of the neighbors this afternoon who told me that an old farmhouse used to be by that spot and that they had bulldozed it over the hill sometime in the fifty's....Lucky Me ...I will be back at daylight on Sunday....

Attachments

• march2,06 finds 002.jpg
    march2,06 finds 002.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 12,547
  • march2,06 finds 005.jpg
    march2,06 finds 005.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 12,354
  • march2,06 finds 007.jpg
    march2,06 finds 007.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 12,325
  • march2,06 finds 008.jpg
    march2,06 finds 008.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 12,278

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Happy Happy Gypsy

:) :) :) :) :) Well Well Well.....After all the kind words and help with relics and artifacts here in the forum ....You finally went out and took care of Business....Those are great Finds and a great story....Those Dump sites or should I say, you hit the mother load by finding a House.....and I will bet my house there is plenty more where that came from !!!!!! Nice Going....... :o :o :o Seeker

van Gogh

Jun 1, 2005
-*- Iowa -*-
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum, Minelab Explorer II, strong back and a weak mind

Outstanding! And it could not have happened to a better person. What a rush! ;D

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That is simply awesome! Excellent and very interesting finds Gypsy!

HH!
TBGO

tb

Mar 24, 2005

Awesome finds Gypsy! Congratulations! Work that area again and again.

Take care,

tb

Z

ZumbroKid

Nice finds, should be years of stuff around that site.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

that is incredible!!! imagine what you might find with your detector! finding a farmers cashe is the find of a lifetime for sure! just awesome. and the bottles and pitchers! that swastika pitcher is especially interesting. do you think it is a good luck swastika or a nazi swastika? i thought the good luck ones were backwards from the german ones. i could be wrong though.........that is simply amazing! thanks for posting! :o

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2

Outstanding finds Gypsy! It couldn't of happen to a better person. My your hunts continue to be as fruitful as this one was. Congradulations on your finds.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Gypsy girl, that's wonderful. :) How lucky you were you didn't dump the dirt at the dump. I know what you'll be doing tomorrow! ;)

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Gypsy,

you have to love those dumps.

They are magical places that answer every desire
for a searcher. You will get to know someone, some
family, some group. They will tell you a story. Magical
places.

Once you find one your hooked; sounds like
a good un............

Your a digger now. DIGGER GYPSY.

WAY TO GO.

have a good un.......

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

Whoa, Gypsy, WTG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How cool is that :o ?
Wonder where you'll be when the ground thaws
??? lol
Is that a piece of amythest? And is that an old clothes iron?
Those are some fantastic finds :) OMG-----those coins!!!!!!
You're gonna be busy, lady; i can tell
;)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Way to go gypsy, I'll bet you find some more goodies there.Keep at it just be careful out there.Don't wanna get cut or have your knees frozen to the ground or anything like that. ;)

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GREAT JOB gypsy!! lucky you.Congrats on the great finds.

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Congrats on all those wonderful finds. The pitchers are beautiful... even when reading your post I was praying with you "please don't be broke.. please please please dont be broke!" I hope you're still dancing a jig, I know I would be.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dito dito dito! WTGO!! Good luck with the rest of your hunting there!
Is that 1919 5 cent piece from Switzerland by chance?

Nice finds!

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA

:D Wow, WTG Gypsy, I am happy for you, persistence does pay off.
Great finds, hope you many more.
SS

TnT2000

Jan 15, 2006
Easton PA

Hey Gypsy..

You go girl.. wow...I am hunting next to you......that is amazing....congrats.....god luck on the next trip..
TnT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread