Today I Hit The Metal Detecting Jackpot - 1825 George IV GOLD Sovereign!

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
slow sweeper said:
I still smile when I think about our battle with corroded silver. :) But seriously, that is an unbelievable find. Might be hard to top that one. Definately contact Western and Eastern Treasures if you have not done so already.
Bill, my hats off to you. Congratulations.

No I haven't contacted the magazine. I figure if they want the story, wouldn't they contact me? Your right, probably a tough one to top; and I won't think about topping it. If it happens it happens. I'm happy just to get out and find some old silver coins and relics.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Wow....I can't even fathom finding a beauty like that. Congrats, Congrats!!

Happy Hunting,
Moon

D

davehood

That is fantastic Fisher. I just got started on the road to MDing. But reading stuff like this gives me hope that one day I can find something wild like that. BIGGGGG CONGRATTTSSSSS!!!!

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CONGRATULATIONS!
:D
I have known a few people who have found gold coins. In many cases there were more than one gold coin found.
I would search that area very closely. There could be another one there with your name on it.
Good luck!

Silversurfer

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2005
Lakeland, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT & White's Classic ID
Bookfisher - What a great story and that has to be the coolest and well preserved pre-1900 coin I have ever seen!! WTG!!

A

Angela (Australia)

Well, Bookfisher, that's quite a story! I've dreamed of finding a gold sovereign, and where I live, I suppose I have a good chance of fing one some day. But, you're right, you gotta be out there, detecting as much as possible. And never give up. But the other week I was out, and after finding a total of over 100 chinese coins, which blew me away, I found a beautiful 1873 silver shilling! That was almost as good as gold. So I decided to post a pic to you. Hope you like. Not quite a gold sovereign, but it made me feel good just the same! Happy Hunting!
Cheers Angela

Attachments

• 1873 shilling found at chinese site.JPG
    1873 shilling found at chinese site.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 19,322
  • flip side of shilling.JPG
    flip side of shilling.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 19,277
  • 1873 shilling found at chinese site.JPG
    1873 shilling found at chinese site.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 19,284
  • flip side of shilling.JPG
    flip side of shilling.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 19,258

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Bookfisher, great coin! I live in Ireeland, been detecting 10 mos now and I still haven't found a gold sovereign. I've found plenty of other old English coins and some midieval hammered coins. Your story goes toi show how having good instincts for areas pays off. I try to look for sites where there were old dwellings.

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Angela (Australia) said:
Well, Bookfisher, that's quite a story! I've dreamed of finding a gold sovereign, and where I live, I suppose I have a good chance of fing one some day. But, you're right, you gotta be out there, detecting as much as possible. And never give up. But the other week I was out, and after finding a total of over 100 chinese coins, which blew me away, I found a beautiful 1873 silver shilling! That was almost as good as gold. So I decided to post a pic to you. Hope you like. Not quite a gold sovereign, but it made me feel good just the same! Happy Hunting!
Cheers Angela

Hi Angela,

Anytime you find 19th century silver it's a great day! Congratulations!

J

JFC

Congratualtions man that is one fantastic coin! I have been wanting to get a detector for some time now. The stuff people are finding blows me away. Can anybody suggest a good machine for a beginner.

MD

Apr 4, 2005
Bookfisher, congrats. I'm suprised that registered as a penny. I thought it would be a much lower number. I use an MXT too. What number did you get? What happens when you waive that over the coil at close range?

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
JFC said:
Congratualtions man that is one fantastic coin! I have been wanting to get a detector for some time now. The stuff people are finding blows me away. Can anybody suggest a good machine for a beginner.

JFC,

I would start with a machine for around $200.00 to see how serious you are going to be about your new hobby. I started with the White's Prism II and then upgraded about 5 months later to a White's MXT.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions