Today I Hit The Metal Detecting Jackpot - 1825 George IV GOLD Sovereign!

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
MD said:
Bookfisher, congrats. I'm suprised that registered as a penny. I thought it would be a much lower number. I use an MXT too. What number did you get? What happens when you waive that over the coil at close range?

MD,

Needless to say, I was shocked when I came up with the gold sovereign, since the most I was hoping for was a large cent. I forget what the number was on the machine, because many times when I'm woods hunting, the good signals can be far and few between, so when I got the real strong penny reading, I got excited and forgot to check the number and quickly proceeded to dig. In an air test the sovereign is reading +47 in the ring pull tab range. Movng it around it did jump up to +50 screwtop.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not that I would sell it if it were mine, but approximately how much is it worth besides the value of the gold? How does it compare in value to an American coin of equal or similar aspects? Very nice find as is anything gold these days! Excellent! Monty

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Monty said:
Not that I would sell it if it were mine, but approximately how much is it worth besides the value of the gold? How does it compare in value to an American coin of equal or similar aspects? Very nice find as is anything gold these days! Excellent! Monty

The same coin in a little better condition sold on ebay last month for $447.00; though like you, I would never sell it.

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way to go....Nice find!

D

dredger

I think that's the one I lost a few years ago, I will give you a small finders fee of course! :)

KLATTU

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Very nice find my friend! Those gold coins are sure sweet! I have been wanting some silver for a long time now. Still havnt found any. Well great gold coin and silver! ;D

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bookfisher,

What a beauty. Great find. When I see that someone has found a gold coin I smile because it proves that they are still out there, waiting to be found, hopefully by me!

Ed Donovan

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, that's a for real dug gold coin! The color and markings are right.

Dug gold has it's own look and one can spot the real thing in an instant.

Thanks for posting a genuine gold coin find.

This has been my dream for nearly 40 years.

Best,

Badger

D

dugupfinds

Great find - I would be pleased with that in the UK!!

dugupfinds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread