Today I Hit The Metal Detecting Jackpot - 1825 George IV GOLD Sovereign!

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Michigan Badger said:
Yep, that's a for real dug gold coin! The color and markings are right.

Dug gold has it's own look and one can spot the real thing in an instant.

Thanks for posting a genuine gold coin find.

This has been my dream for nearly 40 years.

Best,
Badger

Hi Badger,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about my find. I, like you, have been a bit suspicious about the origin of some of the gold coins posted on this forum.

Thanks again,
Bill

D

dugupfinds

In spinks 2005 - This coin in Fine condition is worth £200.

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
Cool find, and its worth something too according to the coin site. Better than a tab any day. Congrats

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knw I am way late for this post but after reading your post....that is AWESOME!!!! KUDOS....KUDOS!!!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I you don't plan on selling it, don't worry about field cleaning. I'm sure that if you destroyed its value you didn't do it intentionally. Heck, I'd have done the same thing as I would have been so anxious to see what I had all golden and sparkly! Monty

donnydave

Greenie
Jan 12, 2007
Hi and congratulations I have been detecting in England since 1978 and I have found American coins but I have yet to find my first gold coin and you would think this is the most probable place to find a George gold sovereign, there could be some on a nearby racecourse but our local council will not allow us access even on the waste ground. You guys seem to have a friendly and strong detecting community over there keep up the good work and say hi to aunt Dot in Michigan.Dodgydave.

arniehoutx

Jan 21, 2007
I am new to metal detecting and coins.
What does this mean....

"Way to go...you field cleaned it and destroyed what would have been a find of a lifetime."

I don't want to make a mistake should I come upon the find of a lifetime.

Thanks!

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
arniehoutx said:
I am new to metal detecting and coins.
What does this mean....

"Way to go...you field cleaned it and destroyed what would have been a find of a lifetime."

I don't want to make a mistake should I come upon the find of a lifetime.

Thanks!

Apparently, the guy who wrote that is a kill joy. The coin was not or is not "ruined," and is most certainly still a "find of a lifetime." As a matter of fact, the coin will be featured in Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine's Best Finds Of 2006 issue due out in March (they contacted me about including it in their magazine.) Also, out of almost 90 positive responses about the coin, he was the only one who could find something negative to say about such an exciting find. Finally, an 1825 George IV Sovereign in very fine condition is worth between $700.00 to $800.00. My coin is probably worth around $400.00 because it is a bit worn, not because it was "field cleaned" (rubbed in the field).

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, once in a lifetime!!

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Isnt it AWESOME digging a REMARKABLE find !!!!! and the moment taking a turn into the surreal when you hold it in your hand !!!!

WTG and a BIG YEEEEE HAAAA for ya bookfisher !! ( did you have to pinch yourself ? )

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find congrats!!!! :thumbsup:

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one beautiful coin!! :thumbsup:

goodbygal2

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2012
Panama City Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm 6T
MXT Pro
BeachHunter 300
Coinmaster Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being self-employed (I own an old book and antique shop on the North Shore of Long Island) I get a chance to get out hunting fairly often. Yesterday morning I was driving on a very old road (the area was settled in the late 1600s to the early 1700s) about five minutes from my shop. Like most metal detectorists, as I'm driving, I'm always looking for new spots to hunt. So I see this section of woods that looks enticing and I figure it probably had to have some activity 100 to 200 years ago. So I make a mental note to check out these woods as soon as possible.

Today was a beautiful day, with temperatures in the low to mid fifties, so I closed the shop around 3:00 PM and headed to those woods. I enter the woods and I notice some of the trees have ribbons on them, so apparently this site is going to have houses soon. For about the next hour or so of hunting, about the only thing I'm finding is shotgun shells. Since I do a lot of woods hunting, I'm real familiar with those 18-22 nickle signals, which most always are shotgun shells. But you never know so you dig them. But while I'm digging them, I thinking at least people were here years ago, so maybe they dropped some coins.

Anyway, a little while later, I finally get a good signal on my MXT. It's a strong penny reading, and I know it's not a can or something like that, since it's a small target, with a nice sound. I pinpoint and the depth is something like 4 or 5 inches, and again its a tight signal. So at this point I'm pretty optimistic that the target is a coin and I'm even hoping it's a large cent. I pull out a plug and scan the hole and the target is still in the hole, still with a strong penny reading. I pull out a decent amount of dirt from the hole and pile it on the side. Scanning the pile, I now see that the target is in the pile, and again, still reading penny.

Now it gets good. I bend down and start sifting the pile and I see some partially exposed gold color. Immediately, as I'm reaching for the object, in nano seconds, I get several thoughts: is that gold? is that a gold coin? it's gotta be gold, nothing else looks like that coming out of the ground! I pick up the object and the dirt just seemed to fall off. Now I know it's a coin and I'm staring at a crown and a shield, I flip it over and now I see a portrait with a date of 1825! I've found an early 19th century English gold coin! The feeling is indescribable. When I'm out hunting, very, very rarely do I let myself daydream about find a gold coin, since the odds are it ain't gonna happen. Though, when I am hunting a very old area, I will think about finding an early 19th century American silver half or quarter, cause it might happen. But never gold. Well today, I had the ultimate feeling of finding gold, and all I was hoping for was a Large Cent. It wasn't until I got home this evening and researched the net, that I found out I had found an 1825 George IV Bare Head Gold Sovereign. So keep the coil to the soil cause it's still out there. Happy Hunting and Good Luck! Oh, by the way, the sovereign is slightly smaller than a quarter.

WHAT PART OF THE NORTH SHORE - I AM COMING UP TO li THIS WEEK AND WAS HOPING TO FIND A NICE QUIET PLACE ON THE N SHORE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread