Today I Hit The Metal Detecting Jackpot - 1825 George IV GOLD Sovereign!

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
I have been looking at a few new metal detectors lately...I've been leaning towards the mxt pro.... now I'm sold!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful coin!

gmradar

Mar 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being self-employed (I own an old book and antique shop on the North Shore of Long Island) I get a chance to get out hunting fairly often. Yesterday morning I was driving on a very old road (the area was settled in the late 1600s to the early 1700s) about five minutes from my shop. Like most metal detectorists, as I'm driving, I'm always looking for new spots to hunt. So I see this section of woods that looks enticing and I figure it probably had to have some activity 100 to 200 years ago. So I make a mental note to check out these woods as soon as

Today was a beautiful day, with temperatures in the low to mid fifties, so I closed the shop around 3:00 PM and headed to those woods. I enter the woods and I notice some of the trees have ribbons on them, so apparently this site is going to have houses soon. For about the next hour or so of hunting, about the only thing I'm finding is shotgun shells. Since I do a lot of woods hunting, I'm real familiar with those 18-22 nickle signals, which most always are shotgun shells. But you never know so you dig them. But while I'm digging them, I thinking at least people were here years ago, so maybe they dropped some coins.

Anyway, a little while later, I finally get a good signal on my MXT. It's a strong penny reading, and I know it's not a can or something like that, since it's a small target, with a nice sound. I pinpoint and the depth is something like 4 or 5 inches, and again its a tight signal. So at this point I'm pretty optimistic that the target is a coin and I'm even hoping it's a large cent. I pull out a plug and scan the hole and the target is still in the hole, still with a strong penny reading. I pull out a decent amount of dirt from the hole and pile it on the side. Scanning the pile, I now see that the target is in the pile, and again, still reading penny.

Now it gets good. I bend down and start sifting the pile and I see some partially exposed gold color. Immediately, as I'm reaching for the object, in nano seconds, I get several thoughts: is that gold? is that a gold coin? it's gotta be gold, nothing else looks like that coming out of the ground! I pick up the object and the dirt just seemed to fall off. Now I know it's a coin and I'm staring at a crown and a shield, I flip it over and now I see a portrait with a date of 1825! I've found an early 19th century gold coin! The feeling is indescribable. When I'm out hunting, very, very rarely do I let myself daydream about find a gold coin, since the odds are it ain't gonna happen. Though, when I am hunting a very old area, I will think about finding an early 19th century American silver half or quarter, cause it might happen. But never gold. Well today, I had the ultimate feeling of finding gold, and all I was hoping for was a Large Cent. It wasn't until I got home this evening and researched the net, that I found out I had found an 1825 George IV Bare Head Gold Sovereign. So keep the coil to the soil cause it's still out there. Happy Hunting and Good Luck! Oh, by the way, the sovereign is slightly smaller than a quarter.

That is so amazing! Congratulations!

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
simply awesome. Thanks for sharing. It's finds/stories like this that keep me going through the winter. Cheers

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi BF; CONGRATS; It is a rush. Ain't it?? By the way, when it comes to shotgn shells I "ALWAYS" dig them up. REASON : 3 years ago I'm in the woods here. I get a signal. ID says shogun shell but it ad a coin ring to the sound signal so I dug it. IT turned out to be a 1790 British Gold 1/2 Guinea.!!! I will never leave those signals undug again ok. So dig them all ok. PEACE:RONB

Eagleye

Mar 19, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 705
Garrett sea hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh what a great find. That's the ticket

dirtfishingirl

Greenie
Feb 22, 2014
Panhandle FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking about your find today. So wonderful of a find. Keep up the good work! Gives me hope to find one someday. Congrats

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks alot guys. By the way, I kept hunting till it almost got dark and as a little icing on the cake, I found these three silver dimes and the key all within a couple of feet from each other and the 19th century Navy button by itself.

Of course you went back the next morning, right? That would be one of those places you have to call in reinforcements, lol. Great story to share over and over! Congrats, belatedly...

Mjw38

Aug 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is the holy grail right there. A huge congrats to you sir on the find of a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bookfisher

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Of course you went back the next morning, right? That would be one of those places you have to call in reinforcements, lol. Great story to share over and over! Congrats, belatedly...

A friend and I went back the next day. No Keepers, nothing of interest! I went back a few times after that. They still have not built houses yet. Maybe due to the meltdown of 2008. The small woods now has no trespassing signs. I got in at the right time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread