OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Had every intention to detect (MORE PICS)

Here's where you folks may want to get involved. I'd like to locate some crew members or families that may want copies of the following pics. Only clues I have so far are; possibly B24 or B24D's, Liberator aircraft, VB-108. Somewhere I saw some squadron nos., I think, but can't locate them now.
This is pic 1

Attachments

• crew1.jpg
    crew1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 13,221
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pics 2 and 3

Attachments

• crew2.jpg
    crew2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 13,141
  • crew3.jpg
    crew3.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 13,071
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pic 4 and 5. The numbers on the aircraft are very significant in the search.

Attachments

• crew4.jpg
    crew4.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 12,993
  • crew5.jpg
    crew5.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 12,537

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
Re: Had every intention to detect (CREW PICS ADDED)

all i can think of to say , holy :o that is some good finds things like that to me money could not touch. keep posting :)

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks jon. There is a lot more to this story. You could make a movie out of just how he earned the Dist. Flying Cross. Between his letter to his wife, his citation and his first-hand account of the event you can just picture it. A Japanese plane flew over their raft at one point and they expected to get straffed. Then a Japanese patrol boat came out looking for them. They covered up with a blue sail and weren't spotted. Our bombers spotted them and one kept flying back and forth from the raft to the surf protecting them. 7-1/2 hours later they were rescued by a sub. Shore batteries began shelling the sub but they managed to dive before they were hit. All in a days work I guess.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The citation for the Flying Cross states, basically, that they were flying a low-level bombing mission over Marcus Island. They approached a forwarned enemy that fired at them with anti-aircraft guns and small weapons fire. That set one of the engines on fire. Then another engine on the same wing was completely blown off. With the whole right side of the plane on fire they continued their mission destroying 2 enemy aircraft on the ground, blew up some buildings and caused heavy casualties on enemy troops. Then the whole tail was shot off. It states that he "Could not maintain level flight" (That cracked me up) and they crashed into the sea.

Cheryl

Nov 28, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Yes his would be a great story. Thanks for sharing these awesome details. Looking forward to more.

Cheryl

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky

packerbacker said:
The citation for the Flying Cross states, basically, that they were flying a low-level bombing mission over Marcos. They approached a forwarned enemy that fired at them with anti-aircraft guns and small weapons fire. That set one of the engines on fire. Then another engine on the same wing was completely blown off. With the whole right side of the plane on fire they continued their mission destroying 2 enemy aircraft on the ground, blew up some buildings and caused heavy casualties on enemy troops. Then the whole tail was shot off. It states that he "Could not maintain level flight" (That cracked me up) and they crashed into the sea.
movie or book , that would be nice. two engine,s gone, then the tail shot off and could not maintain level flight :D i would say so. i hope someone could find out who some of the guy,s are in the pic,s. most would be dead by now but would hope some kin could be found :-\ thanks for shareing such wonderful history

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

=packerbacker ]
Here's where you folks may want to get involved. I'd like to locate some crew members or families that may want copies of the following pics. Only clues I have so far are; possibly B24 or B24D's, Liberator aircraft, VB-108. Somewhere I saw some squadron nos., I think, but can't locate them now.
This is crew 1
HI Packer: Sorry for being so slow in geting bk to you , but I have ben extremely busy setting up the campaign for Tayopa.

I will investigate tonight and report in the morning.

It would help if you could post his seriel no, when awarded the purple heart, etc.

VB 108 (heavier then air bombing squadron 1208 ) is a terrific start .

Till Eulenpiegle de La Mancha

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HIO PACKER: I Have contacted the reunion etc of the VP Bombers requesting information.

In the meanwhile, for those of you that were born after WW-2, go to the below for an in depth report of the war that is not taught in school or the present History books..

http://www.usswashington.com/index.htm - scroll down to WW-2

http://www.vpnavy.com/vp108.html

Also check for some of these thingies in his efects, post them and I will them if necessary.

Till Eulenspiegel de La Mancha

Attachments

• China - Burma - Pacific theatre of action WW-2 thingies.jpg
    China - Burma - Pacific theatre of action WW-2 thingies.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 12,396
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Morning; I have contacted the "VB" site, The owner says to contact him and he will create a VB-108 page for former crewmen to see and to contact you. © the pictures giving him permisson to use them on his new VB-108 Page.

I am sending his data by em for you since he will not answer anything that does not have his identification data on it due to too much spam. They are ruining many a miitary site.

http://www.vpnavy.com/vp108.html

Till Eulenspiegle de La Mancha

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks Realde. Do whatever you want with the pics. If someone is located that would like a copy, I can take them in and have professional copies made for them. I'm not at home right now but there is a patch in his belongings that looks very similar to the one you posted. pb

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium

Thanks for posting this stuff, it's a tremendous investment of your time.
It's equally impressive that Realde T is of such help. Good job guys.

Go Green Bay!

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Finally have time to post more stuff. This is a patch he had with his ribbons. Patch has never been sewn on and is in glistening, new condition. Same patch Realde. BTW, if those are your ribbons you posted, "Salute!"

Attachments

• patch.jpg
    patch.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 12,266
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View of active valcano from cockpit. Photo taken by Ensign Slack or Ulack, VP-108, 5/28/45
Title of photo: Farallon de Pajares

Attachments

• volcano.jpg
    volcano.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 12,197
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The back of this photo says "Crew 2, Lt. Cdr. Lefever"
UPDATE 4-27-2010. Lt Cdr Lefever took over command of VPB-108 after the death of Muldrow.

Attachments

• aircrew.jpg
    aircrew.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 12,139
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Handwriting hard to read but names on back of this are, or close to, "Ulack, Hazlett, Riffe
Update for this pic 4-27-2010. These guys had to ditch their plane at 1600 on April 8, 1945 200 miles from Honshu Japan. They had been given bad directions from Iwo Flight Command and were running out of fuel and it was getting dark. Aboard the aircraft were: Pilot LT William R. Hazlett USNR, LT(jg) G. D. Riffe USNR, ENS C. E. (either) Slack or Ulack USNR, AMM1 D. O. Mullinix USNR, AMM3 W. C. Parker USNR, ARM1 L. O. Sturms USNR, RM3 James S. Watts USNR, AMM1 A. S. Bagwell USN, AMM1 H. W. Fisher USN, Sea1 E. L. Fanhanel USNR, Sea1 J. J. Subron USNR and ART1 R. V. Brodine USNR. None were seriously hurt as they say Hazlett made a good "landing" on the water. There was one casualty, Apache, their dog mascot who had more then 200 flying hours did not survive the crash. His body was left at sea. These guys were rescued 4 days later by the submarine USS Queenfish 393.

Attachments

• aircrew1.jpg
    aircrew1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 12,109
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Back of this photo says "Burning Jap Plane, Marcus, Lt. Hartwig"

Attachments

• burning.jpg
    burning.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 12,045
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is a "Whale killer sunk by Lt. Cdr. Muldrow 4-24-'45"

Attachments

• combat1.jpg
    combat1.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 12,026
OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This says it's an "Ocean-going tug armed as picket attacked by Lt. Cdr. Rogers, 4-25-45"

Attachments

• combat2.jpg
    combat2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 10,893

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread