Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Had every intention to detect (UPDATE 7/12/11) Final Chapter

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    2296 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Had every intention to detect (got some names)

Glad you enjoyed the post. I've emailed the National Museum of Naval Aviation to offer this stuff to them but I haven't heard back from them as yet. When I find a final resting spot for this stuff I'll update this thread.
    Banking off a Northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

us
    Nov 2006
    Beautiful Burnett county, WI
    Bounty Hunter IV
    23 times

I really enjoyed this post.

Wow packer...how lucky for it to have found it's way to you too.

It's wonderful that it should end up with someone who has such a respect for this historical memorabilia.
    You must have good karma!

It’s just awesome and thanks so much for sharing!

us
    Nov 2005
    North Central Tennessee
    MXT
    53 times

Good God. Rambo, my a$$. THAT man was a Hero. Heck, anybody who'd fly the way they did was a hero...............

I can't find the words.

Roger

Mar 2004

Thank you for sharing a great peice of someones life and american history. I bet the man himself would never have told (most of his generation were too modest and felt they were just doing their job for the country). Please take time this holiday season and think of the brave men and women serving now.

Charter Member
    us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    2296 times

I just received word that my email to the Naval Museum has been forwarded to their Artifacts Collection Manager for consideration. I'll update when I hear more. I'm going to be kind of, out of commission, for the next couple weeks so I may be gone a while.

Charter Member
    us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    2296 times

Guess this will be the final update to this thread. I got an email from the Historian and Artifact Collections Manager of the National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola, FL today. He said they would be "Honored" to receive this stuff as a donation and thanked me for thinking of their museum. I have to pass this credit on to Cheryl and some others on this forum for making me think of this stuff in terms of historical and not just some neat memorabilia.

Charter Member
    us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    2296 times

Ooops, another update. I've been contacted by a lady whos grandfather was Mother Tusch's brother. She was doing some geneology research on her family and was directed to this site because of this thread. She is pretty excited about seeing the stuff related to "Mother". Most of that stuff, except for some copies I'd like to keep, will be getting sent to her.

Mar 2007

This is an amazing story!!! I am so impressed with your integrity and the respect you have shown for this true American hero.

Looking through all these posts I was reminded of my dad, who was a Navy Corpsman for 19 yrs. I agree with the earlier post that most men coming back from the war did not talk about it much if at all. My dad told us things about his experiences just before he passed away in 1997 that he had never mentioned before.

I still have some Christmas ornaments, like the ones in the picture, that my parents got while stationed in France in 1958-60. (I was born in Nice.) I believe they are German blown glass ornaments - there is a cool display on the history of these ornaments in the Christmas Museum in Lancaster, PA. How they survived so many moves (not to mention 5 Navy brats) intact is beyond me.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Dena

Sep 2006
    Logan County Oklahoma
    4 Garretts, a Bounty Hunter, and a hickory twig

May God bless you as you have already blessed the memory of this man and all of his fellow soldiers. God bless America!
    Awright then............umm humm....
    that feller over there in that book...he said there was sumthin down there awright....umm humm...

Charter Member
    us
    Underwater Heritage Rescue Diver

Jul 2006
    Tampa, FL
    AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
    234 times
    Shipwrecks
    Banner Finds (1)

Dude, incredible find! I'm an aviation buff myself, and got all of my grandfathers stuff when he passed away, it is about 1/4 of what you have! My grandfather flew Libby's (B-24's) in the war, and I have sent copies of some of his stuff to the Commemorative Air Force headquarters in Midland, TX. They house and maintain the Air Heritage Museum there also, and short of the Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson AFB, it is one of the best around. You should definitely try to make up some packets or something with COPIES of everything, and get them to some of the museums. It's getting very rare to find in tact collections like you have there, congrats! And thanks a million for sharing, it means a lot to guys like me.

Jason

Mr. P-40

May 2008
    Pominville, NY Population: 27

I've recently been made aware of this thread through a friend...

I'll echo what's been said already... this is an outstanding find and should be preserved as is. Paperbacker, I know this is an old topic now, but I'll be going through the thread over the next day or so and try to offer whatever additional info I can...

But first, I'm a wingnut and am interested in vintage military aircraft, especially those of the USAAC/USAAF... so I'd like to comment on a few posts made by dg39...

In reply #3 in the thread, you posted a photo of an aircraft that is labeled as a DC-3. The ship in the photo is a C-39... a development of the DC-2. Actually, the type is really a hybrid of the DC-2 and DC-3, and was nicknamed the 'DC-2'. More info HERE...

Anyhoo, that ship was assigned to the 10th Transport Group. The marking on the rear fuselage (partially obscured by a man) is an arrowhead emblem used by USAAC air depots... I believe this one is from Wright Field, although I'm not totally certain.

Here's a look at a C-39 with the Wright Field arrowhead...

NASM

And here's a look at a paratrooper jumping from another 10th TG C-39...

Epay auction image

Quote Originally Posted by Real de Tayopa
    packerbacker ]
    This is just a flyer and cool looking plane

A) that is a PT-19, or Stearman. It was a the basic trainer...
    'Tis not a PT-19... the biplane many know as the 'Stearman' was the PT-17 and, earlier, the PT-13. These were primary trainers, not basic trainers. Both were pretty much the same design with different powerplants. Also, 'Stearman' is the manufacturer's name, not the name given to the PT-13/17... which was 'Kaydet'. However, the type has indeed become universally known as 'The Stearman' for whatever reason... possibly because it was the most produced and most well-known type produced by the company.

Also, since it's a Navy aircraft in paperbacker's photo, the designation would be 'N2S', as the Navy had a different designation system from that of the Army.

The PT-19 was a monoplane, produced by Fairchild and called 'Cornell'.

Lastly, you posted a photo showing a pair of B-29s... thought you might like to know that these Superforts were from the 73rd Bombardment Wing; the ship on the left was with the 498th Bombardment Group ('T' over the 'Square' on the tail) and the ship on the right was from the 497th BG. ('A' over the 'Square') The photo was taken sometime between October 1944 and April 1945. The 73rd BW was based on Saipan at this time, so that is the likely location.

Thanks for sharing these photos!

More later, I hope...

Fade to Black...
    Steve O. Reno

Seeking Curtiss-Wright photos, especially the P-40 & C-46...

us
    Dec 2008
    Texas
    Garrett Ace 150

I'm new to the forum, but I have to say this is one of the most amazing finds I have ever seen.

us
    Sep 2007
    Ring Of Fire
    3 times
    Metal Detecting

Those are some rare relics and pictures

Charter Member
    us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    2296 times

Re: Had every intention to detect (UPDATE 4/21/10)

I'm going to have to resurrect this thread again to add a couple more pics. Yesterday I received these two pics from the son of Harry Henders. Mr. Henders was one of the survivors of the crash but, sadly, has passed away at age 88 just a couple years back. We had talked to Harry in the past and, when we tried contacting him again, we heard the sad news. I scanned these photos and they didn't come out too sharp but you'll get the idea. "Henders" is on the deck of the sub and doesn't have much on for clothing. Most of it was ripped off during the crash and his son said that when Harry would show this pic to people, he would ask them if they wanted to see a naked picture of himself. Lt. Wallace is in the back of the life raft and, as stated by Mr. Henders, Wallace would not leave the raft until all of his men were safe on the boat. I have also been in touch with the granddaughter of Mr. Brumley who did not survive the attack and subsequent crash. The family did not have any military photos of him and she was able to get a crew pic of him from this great site. I keep thinking I'm making the final post to this thread but stuff keeps popping up. If this is indeed my final post to this, I find it more than fitting that it involves pics of the rescue 7-1/4 hours after the crash. There were 13 men in all. The 8 that perished are: Lt. Cdr. John Ellison Muldrow, Lt. (jg) John C. O'Connell, and six aircrewman: John J Denton AMM1c, James Arthur Brumley ARM2c, Daniel H. Webster AFC3c, Bill D. Martin AOM3c, Henry J. Struck S1c (AOM) and William P. Heaford S1c (AOM). The 5 that survived and were rescued are Lt. Maurice Radford Wallace, Ens Jerome Palma, Harrison "Harry" J Henders AMM3c, Robert L Livesay AMM3c and Elthus J Lassiter Jr ARM2c. I will still research first names and ranks and update this as appropriate. (I was able to get all names and ranks updated 4/29/2010) The main reason for doing this is a number of people have contacted me as a result of their internet searches and the more thorough the names are, the easier for them to find them. One of these pics was taken by one of the bombers supplying aircover for the men until the sub could pick them up. In that pic the raft is off the starboard bow of the sub (in the front but off to the right landlubber ) The other pic was taken from the conning tower of the sub by one of her crew. I can't believe we ended up with pics of the actual rescue to add to this thread. If I can get them scanned better on another machine I'll replace these pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rescue1.jpg 
Views:	1514 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	401153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rescue2.jpg 
Views:	1521 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	401154  

Nov 2005
    Ohio
    Ace 250

Re: Had every intention to detect (UPDATE 4/21/10)

Wow! That is so cool! Appreciate you keeping us up to date on this.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links