GOLD MEDIEVAL HAMMERED DUCAT COIN, YESSS...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't think straight as it's only been about 45 minutes since I found it. I've updated the original post and have IDed the coin. ITALY-Venice (1595-1605) Gold Ducat Obverse portrays the Doge (Duke) of Venice kneeling before St. Mark, the Patron Saint of Venice. In abbreviated Latin the legend has the name of the Doge (Marino Grimani). The reverse portrays a standing image of Christ surrounded by the stars of Heaven, holding his right hand in Benediction and a book of Gospels in his left. The legend reads "may this Royal Ducat be dedicated to Thee, O Christ. Weight is approx. 3.45 gm and is slightly smaller than an American Nickle. Gold is 23.65 Karat. Value around 240.00 USD. Found it on a farm field at 4" deep using my White's XLT, it IDed as foil (69-71) and even had that scratchy tone foil gives but fortunately, I usually dig it all. There was a farm/hotel here until the mid 1600s.
Obverse.

index.php

Reverse. I hope I don't have to sell it, under German law they could force me to do so. What a natural high it is finding a gold coin, especially an old one. HH, Mike

index.php

Explanation why I may have to sell the coin. I have a detecting permit and will have to show the Archaeology dept. all my finds when the permit expires in October this year or they will not renew the permit. I really am honest with them and don't want to lose my privilige of detecting legally. They could deem the coin as treasure and take it, giving me and the land owner a finders fee but now that I have researched the coin, I doubt it is treasure in Archaeological terms. I have to figure out what to do about the farmer who owns the land and allows me to detect his planted fields, he is a great guy and deserves something from this find. The coin will probably end up in our museum voluntarily by me, I also have their backing and I'm a member of our Historical Society which runs the museum, just have to get through the hassle first. Could have kept my mouth shut and not told the world.com but it's to great of a find not to share with my detecting friends. HH, Mike

Sand

May 20, 2005
Germany
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250; Minelab Explorer II
It's great!!! I can't believe!!! Congrats!!!

Sand

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A work of Art!!!!!!!!! ::) ::)
Some folks have all the good luck!
My family was from Bavaria, wish I could visit that beautiful place.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o :o :o :o :o :o :oHoly smokes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AMAZING. That is the motherload Mike!!!! CONGRATS!!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
;D ;D ;D YYYEEEEHHHAAAWWW ;D ;D way to go mike!! that is stunning!!! well done!!

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew it was just a matter of time before you pulled a gold coin out of the ground. Thats really a beautiful coin! Congratulations. Tsgman

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Congratulations on finding that incredible gold coin. As I was told on finding my 1825 George IV gold sovereign, you're now a member of the gold coin club for life. I know you'll always remember that day!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Wow, beautiful coin and a great find.
Congrats for sure. I am really happy for you.
I am glad you shared it here with us, thanks!

Golden smiles!
BDoo

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Mike, fantastic find. Absolutely beautiful. Make sure to send it in to W&E best finds. Congrats on an outstanding find....Lance

S

southbound

Congrats Mike!!!!! I am so happy for you! That is one incredible find!!!!

Vern

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW! I don't care what everybody else said about you Mike I always knew you could do it. ::)

Really great find.

I run my Tesoro to accept foil and this is how I got the gold heart and 1902 V nickel.

Congrats!

Badger

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin Mike.

Congrats !

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
MIKE, Talk About Finding The Holy Grail, Congrats. You Are The Man!!! trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 132.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 132.gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 7,895
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 132.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 132.gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 7,889

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Excellent find and many many congratulations! May I ask why they would make you sell it? Too Who? Its beautiful and I hope you can keep it!

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
What a beautiful coin. I am still searching for those really old coins.. Hope you can keep yours.

Goldhamster.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions